Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Robin--Bromelain on empty stomach?

Posted by Sue B. on 3/28/00 at 00:00 (017960)

Robin,
I bought some Bromelain.

Did you say you take it on an empty stomach? You mean just before a meal or in between meals? Do you think it matters when you take it? I bought the 'Jarrow' brand--500 mg per tablet with 1,000 GDU's.

There are no directions on the bottle as to when to take it.

Thanks.
Sue B.

Re: Robin--Bromelain on empty stomach?

Robin B. on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017964)

Yes -- on an empty stomach. It definitely matters when you take it. Bromelain is a digestive enzyme. If you take it an hour before meals or within two hours after meals -- it helps with your digestion. That's not what you care about here.

I take it as much in between meals as possible, including when I get up in the morning and sometimes right before bed. On as empty a stomach as possible. Mid-morning is good. Mid-afternoon is good, etc. That's when it seems to have anti-inflammatory properties.

From the research I have been able to do, I've learned that it's the GDUs that are important, not the milligram dosage. I take at least 3 caps per day and often 4. Each one contains 600 GDUs (and 500 mgs). Apparently anything between 1800 and 2500 GDUs is considered a pretty decent dosage.

In the beginning I was incredibily vigilent about taking it on as empty a stomach as I could. I'm a little less vigilent now that I feel so much better -- but I still try to get at least 2 caps in on an empty stomach and 3 if I can remember. Some days I score big with 4.

I started at the end of July 1999 and before mid-August, I noticed definite relief. I think it took about 10 or 12 days to start manifesting itself. It also got better after that. Sue, I don't much know about brands. I buy it from the Vitamin Shoppe online and have been very satisfied.

Hope it works for you, Sue. Nancy -- for you too. It's really wonderful to have something that helps that is so non-medical and non-invasive. Wish you both lots of luck with it.

DannyT on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018029)

I am recovering from PF surgery (done on 3/6) and am also taking Bromelain 2 to 3 times a day. As previously said, it works best taken 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals. Am also taking Vitamin C and Pancreatin. I am already walking pretty good (in Birk's) although I have to limit the time I spend on my feet. Vitamin C is necessary for the formation of collagin (probably misspelled) in scar tissue and helps with healing. I have read that it will also help with inflmmation. But this seems to be working for me.

Robin B. on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017964)

Yes -- on an empty stomach. It definitely matters when you take it. Bromelain is a digestive enzyme. If you take it an hour before meals or within two hours after meals -- it helps with your digestion. That's not what you care about here.

I take it as much in between meals as possible, including when I get up in the morning and sometimes right before bed. On as empty a stomach as possible. Mid-morning is good. Mid-afternoon is good, etc. That's when it seems to have anti-inflammatory properties.

From the research I have been able to do, I've learned that it's the GDUs that are important, not the milligram dosage. I take at least 3 caps per day and often 4. Each one contains 600 GDUs (and 500 mgs). Apparently anything between 1800 and 2500 GDUs is considered a pretty decent dosage.

In the beginning I was incredibily vigilent about taking it on as empty a stomach as I could. I'm a little less vigilent now that I feel so much better -- but I still try to get at least 2 caps in on an empty stomach and 3 if I can remember. Some days I score big with 4.

I started at the end of July 1999 and before mid-August, I noticed definite relief. I think it took about 10 or 12 days to start manifesting itself. It also got better after that. Sue, I don't much know about brands. I buy it from the Vitamin Shoppe online and have been very satisfied.

Hope it works for you, Sue. Nancy -- for you too. It's really wonderful to have something that helps that is so non-medical and non-invasive. Wish you both lots of luck with it.

DannyT on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018029)

I am recovering from PF surgery (done on 3/6) and am also taking Bromelain 2 to 3 times a day. As previously said, it works best taken 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals. Am also taking Vitamin C and Pancreatin. I am already walking pretty good (in Birk's) although I have to limit the time I spend on my feet. Vitamin C is necessary for the formation of collagin (probably misspelled) in scar tissue and helps with healing. I have read that it will also help with inflmmation. But this seems to be working for me.