Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

The ankle bone connected to the shin bone, the shine bone connected...

Posted by wendyn on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017973)

Thanks Rick for the blantantly obvious so early this fine morning. I've missed you and your weird sense of humor.

Hockey tape actually works really well for taping feet - and it's not that hard to pull off either (I don't know how easy it is to find hockey tape where you live but here it practically grows on trees) I've only taped once - to go shopping but it did help. My feet are still doing rather well, although I over did it quite a bit yesterday (trying to get ready for this big trip). Sometimes I just keep walking around until the pain comes back and reminds me that I'm doing too much.

On the subect of the PF/TTS/Sciatic connection - I have noticed that the theraputic massage often helps with my feet. She works a lot on trigger points in my glutes and the back of my legs. This last time she worked on my calfs as well (first time I've been brave enough to let her get that close to my feet). It worked really well.

I also have extremley tight leg muscles - so I'm sure that you're on to something with the connection between all of this.

Re: The ankle bone connected to the shin bone, the shine bone connected...

Rick R on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017976)

I don't think my maeseuse would appreciate doing my glutes (my daughter). Well I screwed up too over the weekend. I cleaned the carpet Saturday and didn't tape up first. Thought I could get away with it but I should know better. About half way into it I stopped, taped and finished. I took a day off of running and popped a few ibuprofin ( which ment I couldn't reward myself with a cold adult beverage) and was good to go by Sunday.

JOHN H on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017979)

wendy: there is a treatement whereby trigger points are injected with (?) for the treatment of back,leg,glut pains. will post the web site of a center in chicago that performs this treatmen. apparently have been successful. done by an MD with multiple shots (ouch). the substance they inject apparently damages the small area injected and when it heals back there is better tissue and blood flow to the area (souds like ossatron theory). i have a book on the subject which was recently released.

wendyn on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017986)

Sounds like a dreadful treatment John H, athough only slightly more dreadful than having someone find the sore spots and then lean into them with their elbow. I'm sure I mentioned that I thought my PT was some sort of horrible sadist the first time he did this (I still think he enjoys inflicting pain on people), but it really works!

alan k on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017998)

Wendy I'm not surprised that it works. It seems that Western massuesii (thats not right I know) are discovering pressure point therapy finally. Thai massage has been doing this for 2,000 years and has been working. I think you should keep that up as the small spasm in the muscles which they call 'trigger points' can be responsible for the pulling at the plantar fascia and even on the tarsal tunnel.

I had one episode where the trigger point caused a set-back of a day or two-- a flare of pain in the fascia even though the trigger point was in the calf. It was good sign of the relevance of Thai massage but also shows that you have to take it slowly.

Thats precisely the kind of thing you worry about, I know, but please ignore and keep trying.

alan k

Re: The ankle bone for wendy

john h on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (018010)

wendy: the injection thearpy i mentioned is called 'Prolo Thearpy'. I read about it in a book called 'Prolo Your Back Pain Away' by Ross A Hauser, M.D. The book is recommend by C. Everett Koop our former Surgeon General. Dr. Hauser's web site is 'www.caringmedical.com'. Very expensive/

alan k on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018020)

Those 'trigger points' can also be massaged for release, and western therapists are also discovering this more conservative option to prolotherapy.

alan k

Rick R on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017976)

I don't think my maeseuse would appreciate doing my glutes (my daughter). Well I screwed up too over the weekend. I cleaned the carpet Saturday and didn't tape up first. Thought I could get away with it but I should know better. About half way into it I stopped, taped and finished. I took a day off of running and popped a few ibuprofin ( which ment I couldn't reward myself with a cold adult beverage) and was good to go by Sunday.

JOHN H on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017979)

wendy: there is a treatement whereby trigger points are injected with (?) for the treatment of back,leg,glut pains. will post the web site of a center in chicago that performs this treatmen. apparently have been successful. done by an MD with multiple shots (ouch). the substance they inject apparently damages the small area injected and when it heals back there is better tissue and blood flow to the area (souds like ossatron theory). i have a book on the subject which was recently released.

wendyn on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017986)

Sounds like a dreadful treatment John H, athough only slightly more dreadful than having someone find the sore spots and then lean into them with their elbow. I'm sure I mentioned that I thought my PT was some sort of horrible sadist the first time he did this (I still think he enjoys inflicting pain on people), but it really works!

alan k on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017998)

Wendy I'm not surprised that it works. It seems that Western massuesii (thats not right I know) are discovering pressure point therapy finally. Thai massage has been doing this for 2,000 years and has been working. I think you should keep that up as the small spasm in the muscles which they call 'trigger points' can be responsible for the pulling at the plantar fascia and even on the tarsal tunnel.

I had one episode where the trigger point caused a set-back of a day or two-- a flare of pain in the fascia even though the trigger point was in the calf. It was good sign of the relevance of Thai massage but also shows that you have to take it slowly.

Thats precisely the kind of thing you worry about, I know, but please ignore and keep trying.

alan k

john h on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (018010)

wendy: the injection thearpy i mentioned is called 'Prolo Thearpy'. I read about it in a book called 'Prolo Your Back Pain Away' by Ross A Hauser, M.D. The book is recommend by C. Everett Koop our former Surgeon General. Dr. Hauser's web site is 'www.caringmedical.com'. Very expensive/

alan k on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018020)

Those 'trigger points' can also be massaged for release, and western therapists are also discovering this more conservative option to prolotherapy.

alan k