Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

birk inserts

Posted by salina on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017982)

Hi Robin,
Wondering about the inserts. When I went to the store in the mall to try some birkenstock shoes on before ordering them, the lady mentioned the inserts. I didn't have time to really check them out. Do you have a pair? And what is it about them that doesn't work for you? I was thinking they would be like the birk footprint, No? I didn't look at them in the store. But I was thinking of getting a pair to put in my tennis shoes to see if they helped.
Also, when you first started wearing them, did they make your feet sore at all while getting used to them? They say to break them in slowly, is it mostly because they are harder than cushiony shoes?
Sorry for all the questions. I am just very interested, and the mall I went to was so ritzy and the lady in the birk store was mostly trying to sell me some 200 dollar shoes, so I felt intimidated and didn't ask proper questions. I told yall I was an awful shopper. Now its worse, cause I limp everywhere and really look out of place wherever Igo. So thanks in advance for answering.

Re: birk inserts vs Birks

Robin B. on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (018001)

Once you get used to Birks -- the inserts are a poor cousin. I no longer have the inserts -- I returned them within two days. Personally, I don't think that anything can mimic a Birkenstock footbed except a Birkenstock footbed. The insert arch isn't in the right place and there is not enough support for my whole foot. I knew within half an hour that the insert didn't do anything for me -- and my Birks (all 10 pairs now) are wonderful.

If you decide to get Birks -- here's what you do. Buy the Arizona model. It's the No. 1 classic most basic Birkenstocks. Get fitted properly and don't let anyone intimidate you into $200 shoes. The Arizonas are pricey enough at $90.

If you decide to go for the insert, I would buy from Tony whose Web site is (I think) linked into Scott's main document. He seems very helpful with people and his prices are good.

Re: birk inserts vs Birks

Robin B. on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (018001)

Once you get used to Birks -- the inserts are a poor cousin. I no longer have the inserts -- I returned them within two days. Personally, I don't think that anything can mimic a Birkenstock footbed except a Birkenstock footbed. The insert arch isn't in the right place and there is not enough support for my whole foot. I knew within half an hour that the insert didn't do anything for me -- and my Birks (all 10 pairs now) are wonderful.

If you decide to get Birks -- here's what you do. Buy the Arizona model. It's the No. 1 classic most basic Birkenstocks. Get fitted properly and don't let anyone intimidate you into $200 shoes. The Arizonas are pricey enough at $90.

If you decide to go for the insert, I would buy from Tony whose Web site is (I think) linked into Scott's main document. He seems very helpful with people and his prices are good.