Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Weather and pf

Posted by Rosie A on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017992)

I went to see my chiropractor today. He does massage therapy and electrically stimulation on my feet. While I'm lying on the table, we alway have fairly interesting conversation about pretty much things in general. I mentioned that yesterday (that would be 03/28)I was having a really, really bad foot (feets?)day. So jokingly, I blamed it on the weather. (We had some big, bad, thunderstorms yesterday evening) Surprisingly enough, he actually said that was possible. He went on to explain about how the barometric pressure affects the bones in our feet,making them swell up, which causes the muscles to be overworked, which in turn makes them hurt worse. (Is that possible?) Has anyone ever noticed that their feet hurt worse prior too or during rain storms or cold fronts, etc. or was he just humoring me? Just curious.

Re: Weather and pf

Melody on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017993)

I don't think he was humouring you! I don;t know about my feet but I can predict weather patterns through the pain in my hands!!((I have a bone problem there!)

I don;t think there is much you can do about it other than move somewhere that is never cold and not humid!

john a on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017994)

When someone mentioned (several months ago) that their doctor said the same thing about bones being affected by weather (I can't remember if swelling was specifically mentioned), I basically said it was a load of bull, and probably had more to do with temperature than with humidity. _However_, now that you've mentioned swelling, I can actually see a possible mechanism: if there is normally a constant osmosis of water from inside the bones to the blood to the muscles to eventual evaporation at the skin, an increase in humidity would slow down the evaporation, and thus possibly cause a temporary buildup of water in the bones (marrow), until the body could adjust, thus 'swelling' the bones! So, I guess I now think it is possible. (With apologies to whoever that was I may have insulted low those many months ago)

john h on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (018006)

i am a believer that weather does affect how our joints feel. there is no scientific evidence concerning this but there are millions of arthritis sufferers who say a resounding YES!

Re: Weather and pf / Reply

Elise M. on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (018013)

Hi John,
It was me who brought this very subject up months ago and you dismissed it as bunk....Your apology is accepted. I've been a nurse for many years and having had many patients complain about aching bones prior to weather events, I thought it was bunk also, UNTIL I had bone surgery and experienced the very same feelings. If humidity makes wood swell, it surely affects bone in somewhat the same way. Ask any arthritis sufferer or postop orthopedic patient if they notice a change in the way their bones feel and I'm sure you'll find the answer a resounding 'Yes, it hurts more when it rains, etc'....Be well.........Elise

KarenK on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018043)

ABSOLUTELY!! Weather plays a major factor in my pf problems. When it's changing to stormy or when a cold front comes through, I'm miserable. Things get better with warmer and higher barometric pressure.

Melody on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017993)

I don't think he was humouring you! I don;t know about my feet but I can predict weather patterns through the pain in my hands!!((I have a bone problem there!)

I don;t think there is much you can do about it other than move somewhere that is never cold and not humid!

john a on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017994)

When someone mentioned (several months ago) that their doctor said the same thing about bones being affected by weather (I can't remember if swelling was specifically mentioned), I basically said it was a load of bull, and probably had more to do with temperature than with humidity. _However_, now that you've mentioned swelling, I can actually see a possible mechanism: if there is normally a constant osmosis of water from inside the bones to the blood to the muscles to eventual evaporation at the skin, an increase in humidity would slow down the evaporation, and thus possibly cause a temporary buildup of water in the bones (marrow), until the body could adjust, thus 'swelling' the bones! So, I guess I now think it is possible. (With apologies to whoever that was I may have insulted low those many months ago)

john h on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (018006)

i am a believer that weather does affect how our joints feel. there is no scientific evidence concerning this but there are millions of arthritis sufferers who say a resounding YES!

Re: Weather and pf / Reply

Elise M. on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (018013)

Hi John,
It was me who brought this very subject up months ago and you dismissed it as bunk....Your apology is accepted. I've been a nurse for many years and having had many patients complain about aching bones prior to weather events, I thought it was bunk also, UNTIL I had bone surgery and experienced the very same feelings. If humidity makes wood swell, it surely affects bone in somewhat the same way. Ask any arthritis sufferer or postop orthopedic patient if they notice a change in the way their bones feel and I'm sure you'll find the answer a resounding 'Yes, it hurts more when it rains, etc'....Be well.........Elise

KarenK on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018043)

ABSOLUTELY!! Weather plays a major factor in my pf problems. When it's changing to stormy or when a cold front comes through, I'm miserable. Things get better with warmer and higher barometric pressure.