Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthotics: cause of TTS?

Posted by dfeet on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (018011)

My first set of orthotics were the rigid kind. I definitely think that they caused my TTS. Prior to wearing them I only had symptoms of PF. The podiatrist(I no longer go to him) said that the rigid kind were best for my condition, and that I would get used to them. After four days of wear, I developed actual bruising on my arches. I called to make an appointment, and the podiatrist said I hadn't given them enough time to get used to. It was only after my PT called him did I get an appointment. By then(only four days of wearing the rigid orthotics), I had developed burning, night cramping in my feet, back pain, and my toes wanting to spontaneously curl.
I now wear semi-rigid orthotics, but they sometimes irritate me; although I cannot wear any shoe without them because it is worse if I don't wear them.
I plan on trying the Birkenstocks. Most of you seem to have had good experiences with them . Thanks. Good Luck.

Re: Orthotics: cause of TTS?

alan k on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018018)

thats three people now with that connection

alan k

Tom H. on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018044)

Yeah, I had the same thing. I'm a very active runner and had a podiatrist (who apparently had never dealt with runners) prescribe me hard rigid orthotics for running in. A first I developed a bruising like pain in my arch(which supposedly was just from breaking them in) which turned into full blown PF. So, I would tell anyone especially if you're a runner, never get hard rigid orthotics or you'll probably do more harm than good. I have now ordered some of the more flexible Silicon Orthotics from Dr. Kiper's website from which I know many athletes have had suceess with and he even has the e-mails of patients to ask about there experience with them and doersn't charge you for them till after you've worn them for sixty days and you send back if they don't work for you. So seems like a pretty good deal(& cheaper than the podiatrist I saw). So, I'lI let eveyone know how they work out once I start wearing them.

john h on 3/31/00 at 00:00 (018086)

my very 1st viist to a poditrist about 6 years ago was for pain on top of my foot (later figured out myself that when sleeping i was putting the top of my foot on a metal rail at the foot of my bed and causing the problem). the dr. was casting my foot for rigid orthotics withing 10 minutes of my arrival. he also had the needle in hand when i said no needle. 3 weeks later my rigid $300 orthotics arrived and dumb me i began to run 5 miles a day seven days a week in them. that was the begining of my journey to hell! i cannot positively say these orthotics caused my pf or tts but i strongly suspect they changed my foot strike and gait. after about 10 pair of assorted orthotics i am now of the opinion they may cause a lot of problems for people who otherwise could recover. i know there is a place for othotics but they are abused in my opinion. 30 or 40 years ago you never heard of orthotics and i never had met a person with PLANTAR FASCIAITIS.

alan k on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018018)

thats three people now with that connection

alan k

Tom H. on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018044)

Yeah, I had the same thing. I'm a very active runner and had a podiatrist (who apparently had never dealt with runners) prescribe me hard rigid orthotics for running in. A first I developed a bruising like pain in my arch(which supposedly was just from breaking them in) which turned into full blown PF. So, I would tell anyone especially if you're a runner, never get hard rigid orthotics or you'll probably do more harm than good. I have now ordered some of the more flexible Silicon Orthotics from Dr. Kiper's website from which I know many athletes have had suceess with and he even has the e-mails of patients to ask about there experience with them and doersn't charge you for them till after you've worn them for sixty days and you send back if they don't work for you. So seems like a pretty good deal(& cheaper than the podiatrist I saw). So, I'lI let eveyone know how they work out once I start wearing them.

john h on 3/31/00 at 00:00 (018086)

my very 1st viist to a poditrist about 6 years ago was for pain on top of my foot (later figured out myself that when sleeping i was putting the top of my foot on a metal rail at the foot of my bed and causing the problem). the dr. was casting my foot for rigid orthotics withing 10 minutes of my arrival. he also had the needle in hand when i said no needle. 3 weeks later my rigid $300 orthotics arrived and dumb me i began to run 5 miles a day seven days a week in them. that was the begining of my journey to hell! i cannot positively say these orthotics caused my pf or tts but i strongly suspect they changed my foot strike and gait. after about 10 pair of assorted orthotics i am now of the opinion they may cause a lot of problems for people who otherwise could recover. i know there is a place for othotics but they are abused in my opinion. 30 or 40 years ago you never heard of orthotics and i never had met a person with PLANTAR FASCIAITIS.