Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

doctor visit

Posted by salina on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (018015)

I just got back from the podiatrist, I think. He never once looked at my medical records (the ones I was told to make sure I brought with me). And he never once mentioned the words 'Plantar Fasciitis' or any other medical type words. He just simply said 'You have inflamed arch area.' Da, I thought that was pretty much a given. When I told him my other doctor made me a night splint, he just looked confused, and asked why. He pondered that for a moment, and then hooked me up to some electrode machine. I kept trying to get him to tell me the correct medical name for this machine, but all I got was 'It's electrical pulses'. Felt pretty good, til he came back in and squeezed the dickens out of my feet, right in the arch area. I almost hit the roof. He was shocked that it hurt, and he said my feet should be numb from the electrical thingamajig. If I wasn't in so much pain from him squeezing my feet, I would have started laughing at how ridiculous it was for HIM to tell ME that MY feet are numb. He left, and the machine began feeling good again. Til he came back and ripped the pads off my arches. The pain from that just about undid any good the machine had done.
Then he handed me a carton of Celebrex samples. you know, what they give doctors so their patients can try medicine before buying an expensive load of it. He said he was giving these to me because the military won't let him prescribe Celebrex to patients other than arthritic ones.
He is leaving on a vacation to Spain, so I am supposed to go back in two weeks.
Maybe I shouldn't complain because I only had to pay $12 co-pay.
But I had to give him the money directly because he had no secretary (the app was at a health clinic at 5pm) and he just put my money in his pants pocket and with no receipt kindly said, 'See ya in two weeks.' I was thinking I was in twilight zone at this point, so just wanted to get out of there.
Oh yeah, he also taped my feet. But I am too embarrassed to explain what his taping technique was. it's just too pathetic.
I tried to ask him about my right shin turning red and discolored and forming what appears to be a varicose vein, I was asking to see if this has anything to do with the PF injury, since it all started happening at the same time. But all I got out of that was him telling me I look great and have goodlooking legs for a woman who has had five children. I couldn't believe it. I didn't ask for a body grade, I asked a very serious question. What does 'My foot goes numb and my shin gets red dots' have to do with rather my legs look good.
I think I am still in shock at how bad I lost all control of this visit. I could go on and on with my stories of this visit, but it just gets worse, so I will quit now. I am laughing to keep from crying.
Just thought I would share this experience.

Re: doctor visit

alan k on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018019)

That beats mine, which never the less smell very similar.

I hope you find things here that help you because it looks like you are going to need it. I hope you can find another doc but if not you might have to just treat yourself.

alan k

Nancy S. on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018024)

Hi Salina -- Well, from what I've read here and experienced, I think your doctor wins the prize for Worst 'Professional.' Wow. Where did he go to school, television land? No, can't be -- he's not doing a good acting job.
I'm truly sorry it was such a disappointment. You might just have to keep reading and learning from the board -- and keep on laughing, at least that never hurts. It's maddening, though, I know. In sympathy --Nancy

SHERRY on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018030)

I hope you aren't going back to him. Sounds to me like he's a quack and needs mental help. He should go to Spain and stay there. That really makes me mad that he didn't even care how you felt. Please find someone else. Maybe you'll get lucky next time. This my first time posting. I've been reading the board for about a month now. I have tts and so far no pf. I will tell my story anothe time. It just made me so mad that Dr doing that to you. There's a better one out there just keep trying and good luck.

john h on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018031)

let us hope he runs with the bulls and falls down.

BJC on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018034)

Salina, if this was a referral from a military facility, you need to write a letter to the hospital commander and hospital administrator. This type of dr. should not be tolerated under any circumstance. There are good, competant drs. around. Good luck!

dfeet on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018045)

I have TTS. It's been an adventure! Some good days some bad. I hope your treatment is working for you. I've tried a lot and the only thing that seems to give some temporary relief is th phonophoresis from the PT(ultrasound with a corticosteroid cream). Good LUck

dfeet on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018046)

Get rid of the loser and but fast!! I was appalled how I was treated by a so called 'professional' also, but your story has mine beat!!Please, for you own health you must find another competent doc. There are some out there. It may take a few tries. Good Luck!

Re: doctor visitRE Salina

Laurie R on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018053)

Hello Salina,
I am really upset that happen to you yesterday that guy had no right to dis you like that.We all know that it is so good to hear we look good after having kids but that is for your husband to say not your doctor.PLEASE keep trying to find a doctor don't let these two turn you away from finding a good one.Their are good doctors out their that care.I am really sorry you had to go through that I know how much you were looking forward to your new doctor to help you.My very best to you.Laurie R

Dawn F on 3/31/00 at 00:00 (018101)

I hope you not only reports this quack to the AMA or other appropriate board, but also the IRS. Not gives a receipt?? Interesting. Why doesn't he want a record of the money coming into his office????????

Hope you find some relief soon.

alan k on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018019)

That beats mine, which never the less smell very similar.

I hope you find things here that help you because it looks like you are going to need it. I hope you can find another doc but if not you might have to just treat yourself.

alan k

Nancy S. on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018024)

Hi Salina -- Well, from what I've read here and experienced, I think your doctor wins the prize for Worst 'Professional.' Wow. Where did he go to school, television land? No, can't be -- he's not doing a good acting job.
I'm truly sorry it was such a disappointment. You might just have to keep reading and learning from the board -- and keep on laughing, at least that never hurts. It's maddening, though, I know. In sympathy --Nancy

SHERRY on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018030)

I hope you aren't going back to him. Sounds to me like he's a quack and needs mental help. He should go to Spain and stay there. That really makes me mad that he didn't even care how you felt. Please find someone else. Maybe you'll get lucky next time. This my first time posting. I've been reading the board for about a month now. I have tts and so far no pf. I will tell my story anothe time. It just made me so mad that Dr doing that to you. There's a better one out there just keep trying and good luck.

john h on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018031)

let us hope he runs with the bulls and falls down.

BJC on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018034)

Salina, if this was a referral from a military facility, you need to write a letter to the hospital commander and hospital administrator. This type of dr. should not be tolerated under any circumstance. There are good, competant drs. around. Good luck!

dfeet on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018045)

I have TTS. It's been an adventure! Some good days some bad. I hope your treatment is working for you. I've tried a lot and the only thing that seems to give some temporary relief is th phonophoresis from the PT(ultrasound with a corticosteroid cream). Good LUck

dfeet on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018046)

Get rid of the loser and but fast!! I was appalled how I was treated by a so called 'professional' also, but your story has mine beat!!Please, for you own health you must find another competent doc. There are some out there. It may take a few tries. Good Luck!

Re: doctor visitRE Salina

Laurie R on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018053)

Hello Salina,
I am really upset that happen to you yesterday that guy had no right to dis you like that.We all know that it is so good to hear we look good after having kids but that is for your husband to say not your doctor.PLEASE keep trying to find a doctor don't let these two turn you away from finding a good one.Their are good doctors out their that care.I am really sorry you had to go through that I know how much you were looking forward to your new doctor to help you.My very best to you.Laurie R

Dawn F on 3/31/00 at 00:00 (018101)

I hope you not only reports this quack to the AMA or other appropriate board, but also the IRS. Not gives a receipt?? Interesting. Why doesn't he want a record of the money coming into his office????????

Hope you find some relief soon.