Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Regimen

Posted by Rick R on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018026)

Nancy,

Watch out for Alice! I like the approach but it's hard to tell not knowing what exercises you are doing. Normal people will arrange their work place to minimize the need to walk around. I have found standing in one place to be one of the worst things. Can you arrange things in the barn to include more walking and less standing? I had great difficulty doing much stretching prior to significantly strengthening. I think what I have tried to describe with bent knee is more aggressive as far as stretching the PF opposed to just the calf. I think the towel exercise or Mike's method would be a good choice to begin to introduce some bent knee stretching. I don't remember if you are using orthotics Birks or whatever but for me arch support is an absolute must for any standing or puttering around the workbench.

Do you refinish furniture? I could see this involving squatting down. This is the worst of all for me, talk about an aggressive PF stretch. It sounds like you are beginning to regain your life to some extent. I hope things continue to progress.

Rick

alan k on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018027)

I got that much Rick, but I thought you were saying more. If so, I'ld very much like hear it again.

alan k

Rick R on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018033)

Alan,

Yup I had a wee bit more in mind. I need to give some thought on how better to present what I was trying to get at. Things got crazy again I'll get back.

Rick

Nancy S. on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018062)

Thanks for your thoughts, Rick. I have a major rearrangement planned for the barn to require less standing and certainly less squatting -- the worst, as you say. There will be a big long work table and many stools at every point where I'm apt to stand if nothing is there for me to plunk down onto. I do think I was beginning to get that urge to leap ahead because of recent progress, and now believe I should slow down when it comes to aggressive type exercising and stretching, as you implied. Gradual gradual gradual is the key -- I need to brand this on my brain. Yeah, I'll watch out for that Alice. Not a bad person, but we're in different Wonderlands right now. Thanks again, Rick --Nancy

alan k on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018027)

I got that much Rick, but I thought you were saying more. If so, I'ld very much like hear it again.

alan k

Rick R on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018033)

Alan,

Yup I had a wee bit more in mind. I need to give some thought on how better to present what I was trying to get at. Things got crazy again I'll get back.

Rick

Nancy S. on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018062)

Thanks for your thoughts, Rick. I have a major rearrangement planned for the barn to require less standing and certainly less squatting -- the worst, as you say. There will be a big long work table and many stools at every point where I'm apt to stand if nothing is there for me to plunk down onto. I do think I was beginning to get that urge to leap ahead because of recent progress, and now believe I should slow down when it comes to aggressive type exercising and stretching, as you implied. Gradual gradual gradual is the key -- I need to brand this on my brain. Yeah, I'll watch out for that Alice. Not a bad person, but we're in different Wonderlands right now. Thanks again, Rick --Nancy