Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: To Robin, Nancy, and fellow PF sufferers

Posted by Bob G. on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018067)

I am not a doctor, nor may I be politically correct, BUT, I am back to jogging (3 times without pain), went ballroom dancing last Saturday night (swing and cha cha), and am having a tennis lesson Tuesday.. Listsen, there is a HUGE difference between stretching and gentle stretching. I was re-injuring myself over and over by stretching until I discovered the GENTLE in gentle stretching. I also wear the nightsplint with s/sock every night, etc. etc. etc.

Again, I am not a doctor, BUT I CANNOT IMAGINE BEATING THIS DISORDER WITHOUT PROPER STRETCHING. BTW, stretching is subordinate to REST. Healing must come first, then recovery.

Feel free to e-mail as I would like to help as many as possible.

Nancy S. on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018070)

Dear Bob,
I am always interested in what you have to say. I know you believe in rest, and as you have probably gathered, I am coming out of a 3-month serious rest period. I am doing much better than at any other time since PF hit me almost a year ago. However, I have been having trouble figuring out the right amount of stretch and exercise. I think that I, like you, need a Gentle form of stretching, and that's what I'm trying to get a grasp on. You've been sounding so much better, and I'm really glad for you! For you, what makes for gentle stretching as opposed to overstretching? I do know that I need some, I'm just trying to find the line between too wimpy and too aggressive. Can you please describe what you do, and have been doing, as far as stretching goes? Dancing, tennis, etc. -- it sounds like you are enjoying life, and more power to you! I'm interested in how you got here and have avoided setback -- my main concern as I try to build on the progress I've already been lucky enough to make. Thanks, Bob --Nancy

Bob G. on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018073)

Nancy, I have had set back after set back. I then came to the conclusion that I needed to let this thing heal before advancing. At that point, I was determined not to backslide, so I began a regimen of very gently stretching - and that is working. Call it wimpy, or call it gentle, but I have been careful not to backtrack. Now, I am getting more comfortable with more advanced stretching, and that is good.

When you feel the slightest stretch - that is gentle stretching. I know it is tempting to 'go for it', but don't. I found that a little stretching goes a long way. It won't take long til you'll go for it all, like I am finally doing now. But I am on guard constantly. Better to error on the side of caution, and make progress, than to retreat back to square one.

I am so thankful for my success. I used to picture myself wheelchair-bound for life!

Nancy S. on 3/31/00 at 00:00 (018076)

Bob, thank you. Think I get it now. Gentle means gentle! I mean it, it's funny how a person can get tied up in words and forget what they mean when applied to something new (and this year, stretching is new in my life). Gentle gentle gentle -- feeling the slightest stretch. Thank you. About antiinflammatories: Many months ago the podiatrist prescribed Day-Pro and my stomach couldn't handle it. Suspecting I was in for a longer rather than short bout of PF, I didn't get into ibuprofen. So I'm probably a good test candidate for bromelain -- think any good results will be fairly obvious, and will definitely let you know.
Ok, so Bob, bring us up to date in your next post: The dancing, the tennis lessons -- are these involving that special lady you were mentioning a while back? --Nancy

john h on 3/31/00 at 00:00 (018082)

since many doctors suggest PF is caused my numerous 'micro tears' in the fascia how does it make sense to stretch the fascia until these tears heal. in fact, would they ever heal with a daily stretch of the fascia when just standing on your feet put stress on the fascia. i can see stretching the calves,achilles, ham string, etc but since the leg bone is connected to the--- and so on you in effect are stressing the fascia. i am not suggesting no one stretch but just wondering. i am certainly am guilty of over stretching. i am probably 2' shorter after my 1st day with the personal foot trainer. i use a towell at the club laying on my back and place my straignt leg into the air and pull on my toes and feet which stretch the calves,fascia,etc. I place my straight leg up on waist high rails and pull on my toes with my hand to stretch hams and calves. i was doning the runners stretch by leaning forward on one leg and stretching but i find i have to much downward pressure on foot/fascia and sense this is damaging. was standing on steps with toes and going up and down until someone on board convinced me this was bad. still use an incline board for mild stretching.. have not done any serious walking for about 3 weeks and have stuck to bike but cannot tell if i am any worse than if i walked a mile or two.

alan k on 4/01/00 at 00:00 (018116)

Hi John,

What do you mean you are two inches shorter? And please do keep posting about all this because I am very interested in stretching and I think we are on to something here and your posts, along with robin, nancy, bob, are getting into areas that are not well thought out by doctors.

alan kl

Nancy S. on 4/01/00 at 00:00 (018123)

Very good point, john h -- the possiblity of stretching before healing, and causing more microtears, has always been a question in the back of my mind. And it just might explain why Robin has done so well without stretching. I do feel brief calf stretches have had a good effect on my PF foot -- could this be because although everything is connected, that stretch affects the fascia indirectly enough to avoid microtears? The increased stretching I did this past week was definitely a no-no, and was threatening the progress from my rest. (I meant to respond to this post earlier and got distracted -- Alan's post reminded me to return to it.) --Nancy

john h on 4/01/00 at 00:00 (018140)

when i first used the PFT i was pulling with my arms rather than pulling or pushing with my feet . one must concentrate a bit to let the feet do the work. i am by nature impatient and probably thought that if 3 reps were good then 30 should be great. if a mild stretch is good then a macho man stretch really would be great. i shall endeavor to approach things a bit more cautiously when it comes to stretching. i still wonder why injury to the fascia is not further aggrevated by stretching if one does have numerous micro tears in the fascia? of course, micro tears in the fascia is just one theory of what is causing the pain we experience in PF. Some think it is caused by a nerve under the fascia.

jimf on 4/01/00 at 00:00 (018143)

bob tell me more about the strassburg sock ie hoh to get one and how often your supposed to wear it and how it has helped thanks

jimf on 4/01/00 at 00:00 (018144)

john tell me whats so bad about the stair stretch ? when i do it it feels like im stretching the calf muscle real well but no relief from the planters pain yet.

Nancy S. on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018070)

Dear Bob,
I am always interested in what you have to say. I know you believe in rest, and as you have probably gathered, I am coming out of a 3-month serious rest period. I am doing much better than at any other time since PF hit me almost a year ago. However, I have been having trouble figuring out the right amount of stretch and exercise. I think that I, like you, need a Gentle form of stretching, and that's what I'm trying to get a grasp on. You've been sounding so much better, and I'm really glad for you! For you, what makes for gentle stretching as opposed to overstretching? I do know that I need some, I'm just trying to find the line between too wimpy and too aggressive. Can you please describe what you do, and have been doing, as far as stretching goes? Dancing, tennis, etc. -- it sounds like you are enjoying life, and more power to you! I'm interested in how you got here and have avoided setback -- my main concern as I try to build on the progress I've already been lucky enough to make. Thanks, Bob --Nancy

Bob G. on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018073)

Nancy, I have had set back after set back. I then came to the conclusion that I needed to let this thing heal before advancing. At that point, I was determined not to backslide, so I began a regimen of very gently stretching - and that is working. Call it wimpy, or call it gentle, but I have been careful not to backtrack. Now, I am getting more comfortable with more advanced stretching, and that is good.

When you feel the slightest stretch - that is gentle stretching. I know it is tempting to 'go for it', but don't. I found that a little stretching goes a long way. It won't take long til you'll go for it all, like I am finally doing now. But I am on guard constantly. Better to error on the side of caution, and make progress, than to retreat back to square one.

I am so thankful for my success. I used to picture myself wheelchair-bound for life!

Nancy S. on 3/31/00 at 00:00 (018076)

Bob, thank you. Think I get it now. Gentle means gentle! I mean it, it's funny how a person can get tied up in words and forget what they mean when applied to something new (and this year, stretching is new in my life). Gentle gentle gentle -- feeling the slightest stretch. Thank you. About antiinflammatories: Many months ago the podiatrist prescribed Day-Pro and my stomach couldn't handle it. Suspecting I was in for a longer rather than short bout of PF, I didn't get into ibuprofen. So I'm probably a good test candidate for bromelain -- think any good results will be fairly obvious, and will definitely let you know.
Ok, so Bob, bring us up to date in your next post: The dancing, the tennis lessons -- are these involving that special lady you were mentioning a while back? --Nancy

john h on 3/31/00 at 00:00 (018082)

since many doctors suggest PF is caused my numerous 'micro tears' in the fascia how does it make sense to stretch the fascia until these tears heal. in fact, would they ever heal with a daily stretch of the fascia when just standing on your feet put stress on the fascia. i can see stretching the calves,achilles, ham string, etc but since the leg bone is connected to the--- and so on you in effect are stressing the fascia. i am not suggesting no one stretch but just wondering. i am certainly am guilty of over stretching. i am probably 2' shorter after my 1st day with the personal foot trainer. i use a towell at the club laying on my back and place my straignt leg into the air and pull on my toes and feet which stretch the calves,fascia,etc. I place my straight leg up on waist high rails and pull on my toes with my hand to stretch hams and calves. i was doning the runners stretch by leaning forward on one leg and stretching but i find i have to much downward pressure on foot/fascia and sense this is damaging. was standing on steps with toes and going up and down until someone on board convinced me this was bad. still use an incline board for mild stretching.. have not done any serious walking for about 3 weeks and have stuck to bike but cannot tell if i am any worse than if i walked a mile or two.

alan k on 4/01/00 at 00:00 (018116)

Hi John,

What do you mean you are two inches shorter? And please do keep posting about all this because I am very interested in stretching and I think we are on to something here and your posts, along with robin, nancy, bob, are getting into areas that are not well thought out by doctors.

alan kl

Nancy S. on 4/01/00 at 00:00 (018123)

Very good point, john h -- the possiblity of stretching before healing, and causing more microtears, has always been a question in the back of my mind. And it just might explain why Robin has done so well without stretching. I do feel brief calf stretches have had a good effect on my PF foot -- could this be because although everything is connected, that stretch affects the fascia indirectly enough to avoid microtears? The increased stretching I did this past week was definitely a no-no, and was threatening the progress from my rest. (I meant to respond to this post earlier and got distracted -- Alan's post reminded me to return to it.) --Nancy

john h on 4/01/00 at 00:00 (018140)

when i first used the PFT i was pulling with my arms rather than pulling or pushing with my feet . one must concentrate a bit to let the feet do the work. i am by nature impatient and probably thought that if 3 reps were good then 30 should be great. if a mild stretch is good then a macho man stretch really would be great. i shall endeavor to approach things a bit more cautiously when it comes to stretching. i still wonder why injury to the fascia is not further aggrevated by stretching if one does have numerous micro tears in the fascia? of course, micro tears in the fascia is just one theory of what is causing the pain we experience in PF. Some think it is caused by a nerve under the fascia.

jimf on 4/01/00 at 00:00 (018143)

bob tell me more about the strassburg sock ie hoh to get one and how often your supposed to wear it and how it has helped thanks

jimf on 4/01/00 at 00:00 (018144)

john tell me whats so bad about the stair stretch ? when i do it it feels like im stretching the calf muscle real well but no relief from the planters pain yet.