Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Uncomfortable nightsplint

Posted by Bob G. on 3/30/00 at 00:00 (018069)

Hi, Laurie! Glad for your progress! You mentioned the nightsplint was difficult to sleep in (I know) so I wanted to share what I discovered about making the nightsplint bearable.

Along with the nightsplint, I also wear the Strassburg Sock, but I adjust the sock such that my toes are not bended back (but kept neutral). As such, by wearing the sock my toes don't press against the nightsplint, nor do I experience the irritating pressure against the ankle strap. This makes the nightsplint much more comfortable and I usually sleep through. If by chance I wake early, I lose the nightsplint and keep the sock.

First step is usually painless as I find my Footflex for early morning gentle stretching exercises.

Hope this helps; feel good soon!

Re: Uncomfortable nightsplint Re Bob

Laurie R on 3/31/00 at 00:00 (018092)

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the info on the Strassburg sock where can I get one?after this cast comes off I will need to wear my night splint again even if it hurts ,it did help with the morning pain.You had said that your splint would hurt your ankle that's what would happen to me I tryed to adjust it but it still would hurt.I would leave it on half the night and than I would have to take it off.

Thank you again my very best to you.Laurie R

Bob G. on 3/31/00 at 00:00 (018103)

Hi, Laurie! The nightsplint is becoming more and more a part of my recovery; I don't know what I'd do without it (amonst other things, too, as you know). Of course, we'd all rather sleep without it, but it is a fact of life for us, so...

If your nightspint hurts, it probably needs adjustment.

My nightsplint is adjustable, so yours probably is also. Learn how to adjust it and get it to most comfortable position. This took trial and error until I found the best. Same with the Strassburg Sock; it is adjustable and just a little tension does the trick. So little tension that you don't notice the tension. At least this is what works for me.

You can find the Strassburg Sock on this web site. I wish I didn't need all this stuff, but since I do I have learned to tolerate it. The more you use it the easier it becomes to tolerate it. I remember using it occasionally and hating it. Now I am using it 99% of the time and thankful that I can be more active on my feet. I even take all this stuff on my road trips; the motel guests watch me carry my footsplint into my hotel room and wonder what kind of a fetish that guy has!!!

Re: Uncomfortable nightsplint -- to Laurie

Nancy S. on 4/01/00 at 00:00 (018106)

Hi Laurie -- I just want to tell you about my night splint in case you'd like it better than what you have. It's a Johnson&Johnson blue one, I think plastic underneath but covered with soft cushiony stuff. It is very comfortable, and I learned here that I had not been wearing it tight enough, but have for the last few months now. It has three big velcro straps and you can adjust them for comfort and also to make the splint tight enough. It IS bulky, but I find the general comfort makes up for that -- and I keep the bed covers looser down there so my foot doesn't get claustrophobic. I got it through the pod. -- cost $95. Hope this helps you -- I agree with Bob that the splint is very important, so you need one you can keep on. Good luck, Laurie, and with the casting too -- can you swim after the cast comes off to get back your leg and foot strength? Just a suggestion, now that I know it's strengthening exercise. It feels very good. Best to you from Nancy

alan k on 4/01/00 at 00:00 (018112)

Compliance is the secret to nightsplint effectiveness. If a too bulky nightsplint keeps you from sleeping then you are not geting the healing benefits fo deep sleep. If you take it off or are inconsistent, then it's not really going to change anything for the better.

alan k

dfeet on 4/01/00 at 00:00 (018119)

Hi,Laurie. Nightsplints are horrendous, evil elements of torture! I had two sets and finally one fit tolerably. I modified mine to fit using velcro- elastic straps. The straps secure the feet in the splints, but allow enough 'give' that they do not put uncomfortable pressure on the ankles. When I first started wearing them( I have to wear them on both feet!), they were unbearable!! But now I can wear them throughout the night without much trouble. Good Luck on your progess. Be very careful and do not try too much too soon!!

Re: Uncomfortable nightsplint Re Alan,Nancy ,dfeet and Bob

Laurie R on 4/01/00 at 00:00 (018127)

Hi,
You are all so right I must wear the night splint all night so it can work,when I get out of this hard cast I plan to do what ever it takes to wear it.Belive it or not the hard cast is more comfortable to sleep in than the night splint.This has been a long 9 months but I think I am on my way,so I will try what ever it takes.My best to all of you.Laurie R

Bob G. on 4/02/00 at 00:00 (018150)

Way to go, Laurie!

I'm sure you'll quickly learn how to toss 'n turn with your night splint on.

Laurie R on 3/31/00 at 00:00 (018092)

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the info on the Strassburg sock where can I get one?after this cast comes off I will need to wear my night splint again even if it hurts ,it did help with the morning pain.You had said that your splint would hurt your ankle that's what would happen to me I tryed to adjust it but it still would hurt.I would leave it on half the night and than I would have to take it off.

Thank you again my very best to you.Laurie R

Bob G. on 3/31/00 at 00:00 (018103)

Hi, Laurie! The nightsplint is becoming more and more a part of my recovery; I don't know what I'd do without it (amonst other things, too, as you know). Of course, we'd all rather sleep without it, but it is a fact of life for us, so...

If your nightspint hurts, it probably needs adjustment.

My nightsplint is adjustable, so yours probably is also. Learn how to adjust it and get it to most comfortable position. This took trial and error until I found the best. Same with the Strassburg Sock; it is adjustable and just a little tension does the trick. So little tension that you don't notice the tension. At least this is what works for me.

You can find the Strassburg Sock on this web site. I wish I didn't need all this stuff, but since I do I have learned to tolerate it. The more you use it the easier it becomes to tolerate it. I remember using it occasionally and hating it. Now I am using it 99% of the time and thankful that I can be more active on my feet. I even take all this stuff on my road trips; the motel guests watch me carry my footsplint into my hotel room and wonder what kind of a fetish that guy has!!!

Re: Uncomfortable nightsplint -- to Laurie

Nancy S. on 4/01/00 at 00:00 (018106)

Hi Laurie -- I just want to tell you about my night splint in case you'd like it better than what you have. It's a Johnson&Johnson blue one, I think plastic underneath but covered with soft cushiony stuff. It is very comfortable, and I learned here that I had not been wearing it tight enough, but have for the last few months now. It has three big velcro straps and you can adjust them for comfort and also to make the splint tight enough. It IS bulky, but I find the general comfort makes up for that -- and I keep the bed covers looser down there so my foot doesn't get claustrophobic. I got it through the pod. -- cost $95. Hope this helps you -- I agree with Bob that the splint is very important, so you need one you can keep on. Good luck, Laurie, and with the casting too -- can you swim after the cast comes off to get back your leg and foot strength? Just a suggestion, now that I know it's strengthening exercise. It feels very good. Best to you from Nancy

alan k on 4/01/00 at 00:00 (018112)

Compliance is the secret to nightsplint effectiveness. If a too bulky nightsplint keeps you from sleeping then you are not geting the healing benefits fo deep sleep. If you take it off or are inconsistent, then it's not really going to change anything for the better.

alan k

dfeet on 4/01/00 at 00:00 (018119)

Hi,Laurie. Nightsplints are horrendous, evil elements of torture! I had two sets and finally one fit tolerably. I modified mine to fit using velcro- elastic straps. The straps secure the feet in the splints, but allow enough 'give' that they do not put uncomfortable pressure on the ankles. When I first started wearing them( I have to wear them on both feet!), they were unbearable!! But now I can wear them throughout the night without much trouble. Good Luck on your progess. Be very careful and do not try too much too soon!!

Laurie R on 4/01/00 at 00:00 (018127)

Hi,
You are all so right I must wear the night splint all night so it can work,when I get out of this hard cast I plan to do what ever it takes to wear it.Belive it or not the hard cast is more comfortable to sleep in than the night splint.This has been a long 9 months but I think I am on my way,so I will try what ever it takes.My best to all of you.Laurie R

Bob G. on 4/02/00 at 00:00 (018150)

Way to go, Laurie!

I'm sure you'll quickly learn how to toss 'n turn with your night splint on.