Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

"brilliant" question

Posted by Nancy S. on 3/31/00 at 00:00 (018080)

Can anyone tell me if swimming is considered a foot strengthening activity? Please pardon my ignorance on these matters. Humbly yours --Nancy

Re: "brilliant" question

john h on 3/31/00 at 00:00 (018083)

i guess it depends on what you do in the water nancy. you can run in place and do other things besides swim which would seem to be exercise and have the advantage of not loading your feet.

Nancy S. on 3/31/00 at 00:00 (018085)

Hi John -- yes, I do run in place while treading water, or maybe it's more like bicycling. Also, I don't do many laps -- more of the time I'm switching between breaststroke, sidestroke, back crawl, etc. I try to move everything in different directions. It feels strengthening to my feet, but I'm wondering if this is technically true --Nancy

john h on 3/31/00 at 00:00 (018087)

i am not qualified to give a definitive answer but i would bet my wife against a new pair of reeboks that there is some strengthing being done. put on some flippers and you can be assured there is strengthing although this may or may not be good for you. i think swimmers have the best bodies,legs,etc of any athletes (got to be careful when talking about legs here or one of you gals may get on my case).

salina on 3/31/00 at 00:00 (018090)

Hi Nancy,
I also have though about taking up swimming. I can swim enough to stay afloat, but am definately not an expert. I think I read a post where someone was talking about going swimming on a regular basis.
I think if this is something you can do regularly, then by all means continue. If you think about it, if you are swimming and moving your legs in the normal pattern, your feet naturally sort of point or curl up in a small way (are you picturing this?) and during the flutter kicks you are doing with your legs you have the resistance of the water against your feet, and lower legs. So it seems to mimick slightly some of the ole time exercises. Without any weightbearing either, so my answer is yes, I think you are at least inadvertently exercising your feet when you swim. Maybe it is ever so slight that a person does not notice it, but maybe that is even better.
And it feels so good. Darn it nancy, now I am mad. You have made me want to go swimming, and I am toooo busy this weekend.
I was reading your posts to Robin about exercising, and stretching.
I think if you are slowly getting back to being on your feet more in your antique business, that is enough walking and standing for now. I am not trying to tell you what you should do, but if it was me, I wouldn't try to push it with too much extra walking added to my day. If you had a job where you sat on your duff all day, then yes, a half mile walk, etc, would be beneficial. But with what you do, or what I am envisioning you doing, I am thinking you get quite enough weight bearing just from that. If you can swim, just keep doing that for exercise since I don't think you will hurt your feet with swimming.
AND, as john h. felt the need to point out, swimming works out your whole body, so that can't be a bad thing. Boy, this is just what I need. I should be talking to myself. Got swimming on the brain now.

Melody on 3/31/00 at 00:00 (018095)

This is probably not going to be a very informative answer!!!!

I went to a sports college as a youngster - not to study sports I hasten to add!!!LOL While there a friend sprained an ankle...we saw the college physio who said 'swimming is good exercise as long as you do not do it properly!!! If you are a 'proper' swimmer then you should avoid it!'

I think she meant that us mere mortals wont affect our feet when swimming.

I am sure that doesn't answer your question at all!!!

Mel

alan k on 3/31/00 at 00:00 (018100)

Swimming is a great foot exercise (oops I said leg but then backed up and erased it). What's great about it is two things: all the foot strengthening is integrated with the rest of the body's musculature, and the strengthening happens from infinitely variable angles especially if you swim in different ways and frolic and such.

It could be improved by strategically isolating various foot muscles, but the integrated and variable exercise is very important for real life rehabilitation.

alan k

Re: "brilliant" question -- Thank you all!

Nancy S. on 4/01/00 at 00:00 (018105)

But first of all, Scott: I hope the neon orange is an April Fools joke. Please tell us it is; otherwise you'll have to rename this site heelspurs&eyespots.com. I vote for dark green.

Thank you everyone for answering this question. Your replies have helped me decide to increase my swimming, which always feels good, and not increase my weight-bearing walking down the road to Alice -- keep it at the barn level for now, which had been working nicely. (Salina, I'm glad for your opinion on that one -- I was suspecting it.) Melody's reply was a nice exercise for the mind! Alan wisely avoided following in John's leg-steps. But I do think John is probably superior to Salina's dr. -- at least John probably doesn't have fake diplomas on his wall. --Nancy

dfeet on 4/01/00 at 00:00 (018115)

Hi, Nancy. iI'm kind of new to this message board, so please bear with me. I have PF and TTS in both feet. It's been an adventure. My problem with swimming is that when you are kicking, your foot goes into Plantar flexion(pointing of your toes downward torward your back) as opposed to dorsoflexion(pointing your toes toward your knees). For me ,this plantar flexion ellicits a terrible cramping in my arches, so swimming is out . Even water aerobics isn't good because the pressure of the water pushing the feet downward also causes cramping. My situation is a bit extreme, so I wouldn't discourage you from trying swimming out. It is great cardio exercise. It's worth a try!!Great question!!Good luck!

Nancy S. on 4/01/00 at 00:00 (018125)

Hi dfeet (by the way, I noticed the double meaning of your name right away and thought how clever -- but am glad it doesn't stand for your attitude!). I actually don't do much kicking in the pool -- I'm a nonathletic type swimmer, and I do a lot of different movements; none of them are hard on my feet, just keep them moving comfortably, but I can tell they are getting some kind of workout, along with everthing else. I don't have TTS, though, and I think I recall people on the board who have TTS saying that swimming is not good for them. I hope you find things that do work for you -- hang in there --Nancy S.

john h on 3/31/00 at 00:00 (018083)

i guess it depends on what you do in the water nancy. you can run in place and do other things besides swim which would seem to be exercise and have the advantage of not loading your feet.

Nancy S. on 3/31/00 at 00:00 (018085)

Hi John -- yes, I do run in place while treading water, or maybe it's more like bicycling. Also, I don't do many laps -- more of the time I'm switching between breaststroke, sidestroke, back crawl, etc. I try to move everything in different directions. It feels strengthening to my feet, but I'm wondering if this is technically true --Nancy

john h on 3/31/00 at 00:00 (018087)

i am not qualified to give a definitive answer but i would bet my wife against a new pair of reeboks that there is some strengthing being done. put on some flippers and you can be assured there is strengthing although this may or may not be good for you. i think swimmers have the best bodies,legs,etc of any athletes (got to be careful when talking about legs here or one of you gals may get on my case).

salina on 3/31/00 at 00:00 (018090)

Hi Nancy,
I also have though about taking up swimming. I can swim enough to stay afloat, but am definately not an expert. I think I read a post where someone was talking about going swimming on a regular basis.
I think if this is something you can do regularly, then by all means continue. If you think about it, if you are swimming and moving your legs in the normal pattern, your feet naturally sort of point or curl up in a small way (are you picturing this?) and during the flutter kicks you are doing with your legs you have the resistance of the water against your feet, and lower legs. So it seems to mimick slightly some of the ole time exercises. Without any weightbearing either, so my answer is yes, I think you are at least inadvertently exercising your feet when you swim. Maybe it is ever so slight that a person does not notice it, but maybe that is even better.
And it feels so good. Darn it nancy, now I am mad. You have made me want to go swimming, and I am toooo busy this weekend.
I was reading your posts to Robin about exercising, and stretching.
I think if you are slowly getting back to being on your feet more in your antique business, that is enough walking and standing for now. I am not trying to tell you what you should do, but if it was me, I wouldn't try to push it with too much extra walking added to my day. If you had a job where you sat on your duff all day, then yes, a half mile walk, etc, would be beneficial. But with what you do, or what I am envisioning you doing, I am thinking you get quite enough weight bearing just from that. If you can swim, just keep doing that for exercise since I don't think you will hurt your feet with swimming.
AND, as john h. felt the need to point out, swimming works out your whole body, so that can't be a bad thing. Boy, this is just what I need. I should be talking to myself. Got swimming on the brain now.

Melody on 3/31/00 at 00:00 (018095)

This is probably not going to be a very informative answer!!!!

I went to a sports college as a youngster - not to study sports I hasten to add!!!LOL While there a friend sprained an ankle...we saw the college physio who said 'swimming is good exercise as long as you do not do it properly!!! If you are a 'proper' swimmer then you should avoid it!'

I think she meant that us mere mortals wont affect our feet when swimming.

I am sure that doesn't answer your question at all!!!

Mel

alan k on 3/31/00 at 00:00 (018100)

Swimming is a great foot exercise (oops I said leg but then backed up and erased it). What's great about it is two things: all the foot strengthening is integrated with the rest of the body's musculature, and the strengthening happens from infinitely variable angles especially if you swim in different ways and frolic and such.

It could be improved by strategically isolating various foot muscles, but the integrated and variable exercise is very important for real life rehabilitation.

alan k

Re: "brilliant" question -- Thank you all!

Nancy S. on 4/01/00 at 00:00 (018105)

But first of all, Scott: I hope the neon orange is an April Fools joke. Please tell us it is; otherwise you'll have to rename this site heelspurs&eyespots.com. I vote for dark green.

Thank you everyone for answering this question. Your replies have helped me decide to increase my swimming, which always feels good, and not increase my weight-bearing walking down the road to Alice -- keep it at the barn level for now, which had been working nicely. (Salina, I'm glad for your opinion on that one -- I was suspecting it.) Melody's reply was a nice exercise for the mind! Alan wisely avoided following in John's leg-steps. But I do think John is probably superior to Salina's dr. -- at least John probably doesn't have fake diplomas on his wall. --Nancy

dfeet on 4/01/00 at 00:00 (018115)

Hi, Nancy. iI'm kind of new to this message board, so please bear with me. I have PF and TTS in both feet. It's been an adventure. My problem with swimming is that when you are kicking, your foot goes into Plantar flexion(pointing of your toes downward torward your back) as opposed to dorsoflexion(pointing your toes toward your knees). For me ,this plantar flexion ellicits a terrible cramping in my arches, so swimming is out . Even water aerobics isn't good because the pressure of the water pushing the feet downward also causes cramping. My situation is a bit extreme, so I wouldn't discourage you from trying swimming out. It is great cardio exercise. It's worth a try!!Great question!!Good luck!

Nancy S. on 4/01/00 at 00:00 (018125)

Hi dfeet (by the way, I noticed the double meaning of your name right away and thought how clever -- but am glad it doesn't stand for your attitude!). I actually don't do much kicking in the pool -- I'm a nonathletic type swimmer, and I do a lot of different movements; none of them are hard on my feet, just keep them moving comfortably, but I can tell they are getting some kind of workout, along with everthing else. I don't have TTS, though, and I think I recall people on the board who have TTS saying that swimming is not good for them. I hope you find things that do work for you -- hang in there --Nancy S.