Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

a kick drill which helped my pf - long post

Posted by HankC on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018169)

Swimming has been instrumental in my recovery efforts. I've had pf for 18 months, am age 43 (male) and have
only recently been able to resume running (albeit very slowly and for short distances). I have been swimming
quite a bit in the meantime. One particular swimming drill I believe has really helped my pf get better. I
actually started doing this drill to improve my freestyle technique and not for pf. I have very poor ankle flexibility
(being male and an avid runner before pf). My kick was correspondingly poor - my feet seemed more like anchors
when I swam. Anyway, the drill is performed by laying on your side with the lower arm extended forward and the top arm laying against your top side pointing toward your feet. You simply flutter kick down the length of the pool. When you reach the end, change to the other side. All of your propulsion is from your feet - no arms. No kickboard either. Gentle kicking only - no need to thrash the water. You breathe constantly (no holding breath) as your face is turned toward the ceiling. I apologize for the poor description. I actually learned this drill from total immersion - a group that promotes swimming. The flutter kick on my side helps strengthen/gently stretch my lower legs and feet with no impact.
I've used kickboards in the past but they haven't helped me and I just don't get the same motion with my feet and legs.
I'm hoping to resume triathlons(at least the sprint distance ones) this summer after having missed all last year due to pf.
Needless to say I've been absolutley thrilled to be able to resume running (er, jogging) again. I'm monitoring the
pf like a hawk. I'm still not totally over it but can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.
best regards, HankC

Re: a kick drill which helped my pf - long post

Nancy S. on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018202)

Thank you, Hank. Your description was very clear, no need to apologize! I think I'm not quite ready for your drill, since I'm just now trying to build strength from a rest period -- during which I've been gently swimming -- but I will try your drill as a next step up, perhaps in 2 or 3 weeks. It is good to have something new to look forward to, since the same old stuff starts to seem like the same old stuff after a while! Thanks again. --Nancy S.

Re: a kick drill which helped my pf - long post

Nancy S. on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018202)

Thank you, Hank. Your description was very clear, no need to apologize! I think I'm not quite ready for your drill, since I'm just now trying to build strength from a rest period -- during which I've been gently swimming -- but I will try your drill as a next step up, perhaps in 2 or 3 weeks. It is good to have something new to look forward to, since the same old stuff starts to seem like the same old stuff after a while! Thanks again. --Nancy S.