Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF for 4 or more years

Posted by john h on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018180)

i would be interested to know how many of you have had PF for 4 or more years and have shown improvement or near cure. What are the 3 most important things you attribute to your improvement or cure?

Re: PF for 4 or more years

Bob G. on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018192)

My first PF pain came about 8 years ago and it took me months to go see a doctor. By that time I had it in both feet. The doctor said I had a good chance of recovery by (wall) stretching and wearing Birkenstock Arch Supports. The pain decreased and totally went away in about a month. All was well with my feet and I continued to jog barefoot (on the beach) until last July when my left foot PF came back with a vengence.

That's when I stopped jogging because of the pain. Fortunately, I found this Board. What has helped me get through this and back now to jogging in my New Balance 877's (yes, I had to peek) are the following elements in (descending order) my opinion:

REST, Rest, and more rest - this was the most difficult as I am active, but became easier as the months rolled by and I became all the more determined to beat PF.

Proper foot support - so not to reinjure and to be able to walk comfortably. I wear the Birkenstock FuBbett arch support.

Proper stretching - proper for me was (and still is) gentle stretching.

Night Splint and/or Strassburg Sock - this enabled by foot to heal while I sleep PLUS no reinjury on first morning step.

Anti-inflamitory - for me is ibuprofen, however I am looking into bromelain for long term.

Helpful Hints: Think before you act; you could be doing some activities or physical actions that could be causing reinjury inadvertently. For example, I was standing on the bathroom floor and leaning into the tub to clean it - not realizing my PF was being over-stretched. Now I stand in the tub when cleaning it (Duh!)

Don't over-stretch. I could have saved months of recovery time if I had been GENTLY stretching instead of 'going for maximum' strectch.

Be patient, persistent and stay healthy. This PF affects exercise routines, so until you can get back to normal exercising, at least watch what you eat and get plenty of rest. Laughter is good medicine.

Hope this helps. I'm off to the beach now - see ya! :)

Nancy S. on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018203)

Bob: Like you, I am now a big believer in rest. Did you rest almost completely for a certain amount of time? (I just did for 3 months, but did some swimming and mild stretching during that time -- almost no weight bearing, used a cane when I had to to walk.) I'm now back to working off and on my feet for a couple of hours a day, with no cane. My pain level is way down, but not gone completely. Have a sort of weak feeling in my feet and ankles, which is why I've been so interested in your and Alan's advice about gentle stretching. If you took a lengthy rest, did you have this fragile or weak feeling afterward? (Due, I understand, to atrophy.) How long did you take to gradually strengthen your legs and feet? Months? I'm trying to 'follow my feet' and use my instincts, but have to fight this urge to hurry it up. I want to just take it day by day and set no premature goals for myself. I know you must have been patient to come as far as you have, so anything you can tell me about patience and how you have dealt with the post-rest period, I would really appreciate hearing. Thanks, Bob. --Nancy

john h on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018205)

the reason i posted this question is to try and get some idea of how much improvement is possible or if a cure is a possibility with someone who sufferers from long term pf. if i can get a large enough sample i will compile it and post it.

I have had PF for about 6 years. I am better now than 2 years ago. the 3 best things that have served me are (1)rest (2)birks or other quality shoes (3)ice (4)massage

Nancy S. on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018209)

John h, I'll be interested your poll results. I'm only going on a year, so can't participate. Do you now avoid stretching altogether because of fear of microtears that you mentioned? I still feel that calf stretching is important for me and am following Alan's no-hold calf stretching advice. After all, you're now a known leg man -- you don't stretch them at all? --Nancy

Bob G. on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018231)

Thanks, John! You are right about the ice. When I got back from jogging this morning I iced for about 8 or 10 minutes. I also took an ibuprofen before I went jogging and think that helped. BTW, it was only about a 15 minute light jog. I am just beginning to recover a fraction of the strength I used to have, but am beginning to build up strength.

I also iced my right knee. Left heel, right knee - could there be some connection? :)

john h on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018252)

i do stretch my good looking calves but try to avoid stretching my fascia at least for a month or so to see if any healing takes place. my theory may suck in the final analysis.

cindyp on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018257)

I have had PF and something wrong with the nerve in the outside part of my foot for 6 years. I have taken enough anti inflammatory to own stock in the companies . I have rested to the point to not being active anymore at all. NOthing seems to help. Have went back to a podiatrist(no health insurance until recently). He seems to think that an mri to find out why so much pain. Well I thnk it is because after so long the damage is done and not much else can help it. Is it possible to go back to a life where everday in pain is not happening anymore? I just want to be normal again. Just be able to exercise and clean my house and walk around and not be in pain constantly.

john h on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018282)

cyndyp: i would make a point to find a new poditrist or orthopedic surgeon who specializes in foot and ankles to find out what your problem is. do not just accept your condition. there is a reason for the pain and someone out there can diagnose it.

Mary J. on 4/05/00 at 00:00 (018327)

John, I am a 4-veteran of heel pain. The only help is (1) rest (2) ice for pain (3) heat-hot tub especially. Birks feel good sitting down. However, they are so hard they hurt after walking a short while. Are the Birk soft-beds much softer than the regular Birks? I will be trying the Ossatron study as soon as they accept me. Have had no surgery.

Flo Ho on 4/15/00 at 00:00 (018728)

Howdy, all! I have been suffering since 1997. I have been through the whole routine (shots, casts, night splints and PF release surgery)
I had my surgery in Oct'98. I am still in pain. I have had to quit my job because of the pain. Nothing has helped.

Bob G. on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018192)

My first PF pain came about 8 years ago and it took me months to go see a doctor. By that time I had it in both feet. The doctor said I had a good chance of recovery by (wall) stretching and wearing Birkenstock Arch Supports. The pain decreased and totally went away in about a month. All was well with my feet and I continued to jog barefoot (on the beach) until last July when my left foot PF came back with a vengence.

That's when I stopped jogging because of the pain. Fortunately, I found this Board. What has helped me get through this and back now to jogging in my New Balance 877's (yes, I had to peek) are the following elements in (descending order) my opinion:

REST, Rest, and more rest - this was the most difficult as I am active, but became easier as the months rolled by and I became all the more determined to beat PF.

Proper foot support - so not to reinjure and to be able to walk comfortably. I wear the Birkenstock FuBbett arch support.

Proper stretching - proper for me was (and still is) gentle stretching.

Night Splint and/or Strassburg Sock - this enabled by foot to heal while I sleep PLUS no reinjury on first morning step.

Anti-inflamitory - for me is ibuprofen, however I am looking into bromelain for long term.

Helpful Hints: Think before you act; you could be doing some activities or physical actions that could be causing reinjury inadvertently. For example, I was standing on the bathroom floor and leaning into the tub to clean it - not realizing my PF was being over-stretched. Now I stand in the tub when cleaning it (Duh!)

Don't over-stretch. I could have saved months of recovery time if I had been GENTLY stretching instead of 'going for maximum' strectch.

Be patient, persistent and stay healthy. This PF affects exercise routines, so until you can get back to normal exercising, at least watch what you eat and get plenty of rest. Laughter is good medicine.

Hope this helps. I'm off to the beach now - see ya! :)

Nancy S. on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018203)

Bob: Like you, I am now a big believer in rest. Did you rest almost completely for a certain amount of time? (I just did for 3 months, but did some swimming and mild stretching during that time -- almost no weight bearing, used a cane when I had to to walk.) I'm now back to working off and on my feet for a couple of hours a day, with no cane. My pain level is way down, but not gone completely. Have a sort of weak feeling in my feet and ankles, which is why I've been so interested in your and Alan's advice about gentle stretching. If you took a lengthy rest, did you have this fragile or weak feeling afterward? (Due, I understand, to atrophy.) How long did you take to gradually strengthen your legs and feet? Months? I'm trying to 'follow my feet' and use my instincts, but have to fight this urge to hurry it up. I want to just take it day by day and set no premature goals for myself. I know you must have been patient to come as far as you have, so anything you can tell me about patience and how you have dealt with the post-rest period, I would really appreciate hearing. Thanks, Bob. --Nancy

john h on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018205)

the reason i posted this question is to try and get some idea of how much improvement is possible or if a cure is a possibility with someone who sufferers from long term pf. if i can get a large enough sample i will compile it and post it.

I have had PF for about 6 years. I am better now than 2 years ago. the 3 best things that have served me are (1)rest (2)birks or other quality shoes (3)ice (4)massage

Nancy S. on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018209)

John h, I'll be interested your poll results. I'm only going on a year, so can't participate. Do you now avoid stretching altogether because of fear of microtears that you mentioned? I still feel that calf stretching is important for me and am following Alan's no-hold calf stretching advice. After all, you're now a known leg man -- you don't stretch them at all? --Nancy

Bob G. on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018231)

Thanks, John! You are right about the ice. When I got back from jogging this morning I iced for about 8 or 10 minutes. I also took an ibuprofen before I went jogging and think that helped. BTW, it was only about a 15 minute light jog. I am just beginning to recover a fraction of the strength I used to have, but am beginning to build up strength.

I also iced my right knee. Left heel, right knee - could there be some connection? :)

john h on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018252)

i do stretch my good looking calves but try to avoid stretching my fascia at least for a month or so to see if any healing takes place. my theory may suck in the final analysis.

cindyp on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018257)

I have had PF and something wrong with the nerve in the outside part of my foot for 6 years. I have taken enough anti inflammatory to own stock in the companies . I have rested to the point to not being active anymore at all. NOthing seems to help. Have went back to a podiatrist(no health insurance until recently). He seems to think that an mri to find out why so much pain. Well I thnk it is because after so long the damage is done and not much else can help it. Is it possible to go back to a life where everday in pain is not happening anymore? I just want to be normal again. Just be able to exercise and clean my house and walk around and not be in pain constantly.

john h on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018282)

cyndyp: i would make a point to find a new poditrist or orthopedic surgeon who specializes in foot and ankles to find out what your problem is. do not just accept your condition. there is a reason for the pain and someone out there can diagnose it.

Mary J. on 4/05/00 at 00:00 (018327)

John, I am a 4-veteran of heel pain. The only help is (1) rest (2) ice for pain (3) heat-hot tub especially. Birks feel good sitting down. However, they are so hard they hurt after walking a short while. Are the Birk soft-beds much softer than the regular Birks? I will be trying the Ossatron study as soon as they accept me. Have had no surgery.

Flo Ho on 4/15/00 at 00:00 (018728)

Howdy, all! I have been suffering since 1997. I have been through the whole routine (shots, casts, night splints and PF release surgery)
I had my surgery in Oct'98. I am still in pain. I have had to quit my job because of the pain. Nothing has helped.