Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

today's orthopod visit.........please help

Posted by dfeet on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018187)

Hi, everyone. Again I'm pretty new to this internet/message board, so bear with me. I had a follow up visit with the orthopod today. Not very encouraging for my condition(TTS, bilaterally). Good news is bloodwork was all normal(although I was hoping for somethinglike hypothyroidism to shed some light on a cause). He said the TTS was probably brought on by the initial PF injury and perhaps the rigid orthotics causing enough inflamation which compressed the nerves. He said that we pretty much exhausted the scope of conservative treatment, and as the orthopod himself is against, he suggested perhaps, as a long shot, the surgical approach. I have to be honest, I do kind of feel depressed. 'Dfeeted'( sorry, but if I don't make jokes I think I'm going to cry). He said to do anything that gives me relief- PT, home exercises, IB . He said that at this point I can do what ever will make me feel better, even continuing tennis, hiking,sports, etc. He said I could not suffer any more significant damage and to continue if I could stand to tolerate the pain. He wants to see me again in a couple of months or sooner If I chose. He said he will leave it up to me. I asked for another injection in the other foot. It is not pleasant but it gets the job done if only for a temporary fix. The PF has completely healed but the TTS is horrible. I'm at a loss. Too much to absorb in one day. I'm going to PT later today and will run everthing by him. Any suggestions? This web site is incredible; It has kept my perspective and has given me a lot of insight. Everyone here is such a help. A sincere thank you to all!!

Re: today's orthopod visit.........please helpRE dfeet

Laurie R on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018189)

Hello dfeet,
Ok now you mad me sad also,We sound alot the same.I also have PF and TTS I have been in ahard cast for 2 weeks and it is helping.I only have TTS in one foot but PF in both.The way your doctor explained how you got TTS is the way my doctor told me why I got it too.To me it sounds like you have a very good doctor he sounds like mine.I know it is hard and I do UNDERSTAND the pain.My PF is so much better but the TTS pain is still here.The numbing the shooting pains the dull pains.I even have pain when I am off my feet.I wish you the best and we are here for you .If you would like to e-mail me PLEASE feel free to do so as I am in the house with this cast and crutches.My very best to you.Laurie R (email removed)

Re: today's orthopod visit.........please help

john h on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018190)

when i was having the electrical test for TTS the orthopod who was doing the test advised me to be very careful when having foot massages around the tts as damage could be done on nerves in this area with vigorous massage. having had the TTS surgery i would not know what to advise you. the surgery was not that bad but as to where it will cure your condition that is a long shot. certainly ice and anti-inflamatories is the 1st line of defense. i would even consider one time regimen of one the steriod pill packs. they are not for long terms use but may help isolate your problem. i tried them for 12 days which is the usual treatment period and they helped my feet,back and everything else with no side effects but of course when the treatment ended most of my pains returned.

Lori R. on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018215)

If I don't take care of the PF now it could lead into TTS. What is TTS?

Re: today's orthopod visit.........please helpRE dfeet

Laurie R on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018189)

Hello dfeet,
Ok now you mad me sad also,We sound alot the same.I also have PF and TTS I have been in ahard cast for 2 weeks and it is helping.I only have TTS in one foot but PF in both.The way your doctor explained how you got TTS is the way my doctor told me why I got it too.To me it sounds like you have a very good doctor he sounds like mine.I know it is hard and I do UNDERSTAND the pain.My PF is so much better but the TTS pain is still here.The numbing the shooting pains the dull pains.I even have pain when I am off my feet.I wish you the best and we are here for you .If you would like to e-mail me PLEASE feel free to do so as I am in the house with this cast and crutches.My very best to you.Laurie R (email removed)

john h on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018190)

when i was having the electrical test for TTS the orthopod who was doing the test advised me to be very careful when having foot massages around the tts as damage could be done on nerves in this area with vigorous massage. having had the TTS surgery i would not know what to advise you. the surgery was not that bad but as to where it will cure your condition that is a long shot. certainly ice and anti-inflamatories is the 1st line of defense. i would even consider one time regimen of one the steriod pill packs. they are not for long terms use but may help isolate your problem. i tried them for 12 days which is the usual treatment period and they helped my feet,back and everything else with no side effects but of course when the treatment ended most of my pains returned.

Lori R. on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018215)

If I don't take care of the PF now it could lead into TTS. What is TTS?