Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

went to see orthopod for second opinion...now need to get third

Posted by Colleen G on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018199)

I went to see an orthopod on Thursday. My PF has flared up to where it was before the surgery and my orthotics are killing me. Well, this orthopod said that I do not have PF and that I probably never did. He said that my post tibulor(something like that) does not function and that that is causing my heel pain. And that my ankles roll in a lot. SO he added more of an arch to my orhtotics. He said that he wants to make me orthotics that come up higher on the ankles. If that doesn't work then he wants to remove a tendon from my big toe and transplant it where the bad one is. SO now I think I need to go and see a third doctor

Re: went to see orthopod for second opinion...now need to get third...oops

Colleen g on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018200)

ANy suggestions or opinions? I would greatly appreciate them

Colleen

Pat on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018204)

I can just tell you my case. I also have bad ankles, and I'd bet
that you probably have collapsed arches or flat feet with this.
If you are flat-footed, it's interesting that he wants to build a
higher arch, because any high arch support kills my flat feet, in fact
my dr. agrees, that a higher arch will harm my feet more than do good.

Nancy S. on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018210)

Hi Pat -- I responded to your arch poll with a 'normal' -- although I maybe should have added 'with a tendency toward flat.' My wet prints were quite wide in the middle, but didn't qualify as flat per se. I'm just curious about the arch thing -- Birks have helped me a lot, andthey have good arch support but not extreme, I'd say; and in the back of my mind I've been wondering about going to an orthopedic shoestore (that has two pedorthists on staff) somewhat near me and seeing if I should get something with even more arch support that is also a tie shoe and suppports my whole foot, coming up near or around ankles. Do you have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance. --Nancy S.

Re: went to see orthopod for second opinion...now need to get third

laurie R on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018213)

Hi Colleen,
Either I forgot or something when did you have surgery? And are you saying you had surgery for PF and now this doctor is saying you never had it to begin with?If that is the case I would go to other doctor,what happen to the doctor that did the surgery?Also I am sorry to hear you are having such a hard time.During your surgery did you have anything done to your nerves in your foot like a tarsel tunnel release? My very best to you .Laurie R

Pat on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018267)

Hi Nancy,
Actually, if your footprint was wide in the middle, you may still
qualify for 'flat feet' But not totally flat.

I'd say yeah, go for it. Some people say those type places really
do the trick for supports. You do have some arch, I don't
so, our foot structure is not the same, and in your case since you have arch, more (higher) support may benefit.

Colleen g on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018200)

ANy suggestions or opinions? I would greatly appreciate them

Colleen

Pat on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018204)

I can just tell you my case. I also have bad ankles, and I'd bet
that you probably have collapsed arches or flat feet with this.
If you are flat-footed, it's interesting that he wants to build a
higher arch, because any high arch support kills my flat feet, in fact
my dr. agrees, that a higher arch will harm my feet more than do good.

Nancy S. on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018210)

Hi Pat -- I responded to your arch poll with a 'normal' -- although I maybe should have added 'with a tendency toward flat.' My wet prints were quite wide in the middle, but didn't qualify as flat per se. I'm just curious about the arch thing -- Birks have helped me a lot, andthey have good arch support but not extreme, I'd say; and in the back of my mind I've been wondering about going to an orthopedic shoestore (that has two pedorthists on staff) somewhat near me and seeing if I should get something with even more arch support that is also a tie shoe and suppports my whole foot, coming up near or around ankles. Do you have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance. --Nancy S.

Re: went to see orthopod for second opinion...now need to get third

laurie R on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018213)

Hi Colleen,
Either I forgot or something when did you have surgery? And are you saying you had surgery for PF and now this doctor is saying you never had it to begin with?If that is the case I would go to other doctor,what happen to the doctor that did the surgery?Also I am sorry to hear you are having such a hard time.During your surgery did you have anything done to your nerves in your foot like a tarsel tunnel release? My very best to you .Laurie R

Pat on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018267)

Hi Nancy,
Actually, if your footprint was wide in the middle, you may still
qualify for 'flat feet' But not totally flat.

I'd say yeah, go for it. Some people say those type places really
do the trick for supports. You do have some arch, I don't
so, our foot structure is not the same, and in your case since you have arch, more (higher) support may benefit.