Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: PF-need help-getting depressed

Posted by PattyS on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018228)

I am looking forward to your next installment. I have had PF since Nov, and have been feeling better until this weekend. The cortisone shot I had 6 weeks ago seems to be finally wearing off. I am due to go back to the pod next thurs and after reading many posts here do not want a 2nd shot. I am starting to get depressed as I am getting the feeling this is not going to go away, but rather will be a condition I will have to deal with for the rest of my life. I sense that I am getting desperate and am thinking of trying ART. Any advice from others who have beaten this would be appreciated!

Re: PF-need help-getting depressed / Reply

Elise M. on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018239)

Hi Patty,
It doesn't take much to get depressed, but you can talk yourself out of it. I've had PF now for almost a year, but since finding this site and finding my own combination of 'helps', I've almost beaten this monster. I don't post much anymore, but I look everyday to see if there isn't someway of encouraging someone who's not as far along in their recovery as I am. DO NOT let yourself get down about this. Take one day at a time, do TRY EVERYTHING to try and make yourself feel better. It took me some time to find the right combination of things to relieve the pain. If you've tried ice and that doesn't help, try heat. For me, I found ice only made things worse. I do not go barefoot EVER, and use arch supports and gel heel protectors in every pair of shoes I own. I stretch before getting out of bed each morning and stand at the side of the bed without walking until my feet bear my full weight. I take Motrin/ES Tylenol when I'm beginning to get uncomfortable BUT that is my cue to rest.....For the longest time, I couldn't even walk my dog out the front door without cringing with pain. Now, we walk about 2 miles a day, I bike for 6 miles a day. I can usually be on my feet all day without too much problem. I remain hopeful that someday I'll be running again, but I wait PATIENTLY for that day. You can and will overcome this, just keep searching and believing that the proper treatment for you is in here somewhere. Feel better...........Elise

Nancy S. on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018250)

Hi Patty -- Depression and frustration are very easy to fall into with PF. A certain recent post is really helping me on this front. If you didnt see it, I highly recommend you read it: alan k wrote it on 4/01, under the subject heading 'Why? -- getting control of the mind.' It's a few pages back now, toward the end of a lengthy thread that began simply with 'Why?'
I'm not recovered, but I'm recovering. Have had PF since last May, but didn't find this site until December. Since then, here is what has been helping me most: Birkenstocks; serious rest from weight-bearing on my feet; night splint; swimming for exercise; calf stretching (which lately I've learned is done best GENTLY, and by not holding the stretch, if you are still having pain).
I just wanted to give you some hope. Though not cured, I've made a lot of progress and decreased my pain greatly, all through conservative measures. I have been depressed and frustrated like you, but I now have a lot of hope, and I think you have every reason to also. November is not too long a time to have had this thing, though I know it can seem like forever when it affects your outlook. Keep trying things on this board, and give them a long enough try before giving them up. You can find the right combination for you, Patty --Nancy S.

PattyS on 4/05/00 at 00:00 (018309)

Nancy,
I went back and read the post under the heading 'why', and also your post under 'rest-what worked for me'. In that one you put the nail on the head of what I think is really bothering me. Its that feeling that I will never again get up in the morning without thinking about my feet (getting up early to stretch them before I get up, having the shoes by the side of the bed-you know the drill). I think that sense of freedom that you mentioned is what is getting me so bummed. I do feel like I have gotten better in the past couple of months, it is just that feeling that I am only going to improve so much and that my feet will never be the same again. I really am appreciating the message board because it makes me feel that I am not alone in my fight. I am going to see Dr. Leahy in Los Gatos, Ca tomorrow morning for Active Release Therapy. My husband thinks it is a waste of my time, but I think the more aggresively I pursue every option, the less helpless I will feel so if it only helps my psyche then so much the better (hopefully it will help my foot as well!!!!) Patty

Nancy S. on 4/05/00 at 00:00 (018316)

Patty -- I hear you, as you know. I think we need a bit more of the 'take charge' attitude; at the same time, I think we need to accept the maintenance routines for our feet, for however long the need lasts. I was thinking this morning that care of the feet can maybe be looked at as similar to other routines we've followed all our lives -- such as brushing the teeth. Be mindful, but assume it, just like brushing teeth, taking a shower, eating, etc. We have to do those things, but we don't get depressed by them. Can we get our feet into that category? Please post about the ART -- I hope it helps you. --Nancy

ChrisO on 4/05/00 at 00:00 (018340)

I hope you'll let us know what you think of your ART - I live in SoCal and would be fairly willing check that out too in spite of my recent progress.

PattyS on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018384)

I had the first ART session today. I don't want to be TOO optimistic, but my foot feels different and better today than it has for 6 months. I will go for 5 more sessions in the next two weeks and will post results. He seems to think that it will be no problem to take care of it and get me back to my old self. patty

Re: PF-need help-getting depressed / Reply

Elise M. on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018239)

Hi Patty,
It doesn't take much to get depressed, but you can talk yourself out of it. I've had PF now for almost a year, but since finding this site and finding my own combination of 'helps', I've almost beaten this monster. I don't post much anymore, but I look everyday to see if there isn't someway of encouraging someone who's not as far along in their recovery as I am. DO NOT let yourself get down about this. Take one day at a time, do TRY EVERYTHING to try and make yourself feel better. It took me some time to find the right combination of things to relieve the pain. If you've tried ice and that doesn't help, try heat. For me, I found ice only made things worse. I do not go barefoot EVER, and use arch supports and gel heel protectors in every pair of shoes I own. I stretch before getting out of bed each morning and stand at the side of the bed without walking until my feet bear my full weight. I take Motrin/ES Tylenol when I'm beginning to get uncomfortable BUT that is my cue to rest.....For the longest time, I couldn't even walk my dog out the front door without cringing with pain. Now, we walk about 2 miles a day, I bike for 6 miles a day. I can usually be on my feet all day without too much problem. I remain hopeful that someday I'll be running again, but I wait PATIENTLY for that day. You can and will overcome this, just keep searching and believing that the proper treatment for you is in here somewhere. Feel better...........Elise

Nancy S. on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018250)

Hi Patty -- Depression and frustration are very easy to fall into with PF. A certain recent post is really helping me on this front. If you didnt see it, I highly recommend you read it: alan k wrote it on 4/01, under the subject heading 'Why? -- getting control of the mind.' It's a few pages back now, toward the end of a lengthy thread that began simply with 'Why?'
I'm not recovered, but I'm recovering. Have had PF since last May, but didn't find this site until December. Since then, here is what has been helping me most: Birkenstocks; serious rest from weight-bearing on my feet; night splint; swimming for exercise; calf stretching (which lately I've learned is done best GENTLY, and by not holding the stretch, if you are still having pain).
I just wanted to give you some hope. Though not cured, I've made a lot of progress and decreased my pain greatly, all through conservative measures. I have been depressed and frustrated like you, but I now have a lot of hope, and I think you have every reason to also. November is not too long a time to have had this thing, though I know it can seem like forever when it affects your outlook. Keep trying things on this board, and give them a long enough try before giving them up. You can find the right combination for you, Patty --Nancy S.

PattyS on 4/05/00 at 00:00 (018309)

Nancy,
I went back and read the post under the heading 'why', and also your post under 'rest-what worked for me'. In that one you put the nail on the head of what I think is really bothering me. Its that feeling that I will never again get up in the morning without thinking about my feet (getting up early to stretch them before I get up, having the shoes by the side of the bed-you know the drill). I think that sense of freedom that you mentioned is what is getting me so bummed. I do feel like I have gotten better in the past couple of months, it is just that feeling that I am only going to improve so much and that my feet will never be the same again. I really am appreciating the message board because it makes me feel that I am not alone in my fight. I am going to see Dr. Leahy in Los Gatos, Ca tomorrow morning for Active Release Therapy. My husband thinks it is a waste of my time, but I think the more aggresively I pursue every option, the less helpless I will feel so if it only helps my psyche then so much the better (hopefully it will help my foot as well!!!!) Patty

Nancy S. on 4/05/00 at 00:00 (018316)

Patty -- I hear you, as you know. I think we need a bit more of the 'take charge' attitude; at the same time, I think we need to accept the maintenance routines for our feet, for however long the need lasts. I was thinking this morning that care of the feet can maybe be looked at as similar to other routines we've followed all our lives -- such as brushing the teeth. Be mindful, but assume it, just like brushing teeth, taking a shower, eating, etc. We have to do those things, but we don't get depressed by them. Can we get our feet into that category? Please post about the ART -- I hope it helps you. --Nancy

ChrisO on 4/05/00 at 00:00 (018340)

I hope you'll let us know what you think of your ART - I live in SoCal and would be fairly willing check that out too in spite of my recent progress.

PattyS on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018384)

I had the first ART session today. I don't want to be TOO optimistic, but my foot feels different and better today than it has for 6 months. I will go for 5 more sessions in the next two weeks and will post results. He seems to think that it will be no problem to take care of it and get me back to my old self. patty