Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: PF-my little program

Posted by ChrisO on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018232)

Don't waste ANOTHER minute with depression! I know I sound glib but I'm serious. I really did get very close to depression and was limping about the house in sweats for too many days. However, I do have a good 'take charge' personality and got sick of getting nowhere - so here's my little program:

1. Stretch calf muscles very slightly before getting up. I do this by holding my feet up at 90 degrees for a count of 10, 5 times. Then I do ten easy ankle rotations one way, then the other. I repeat that routine twice, or as I get stronger, 3 or 4 times. The focus is on warming up not on actually stretching.
2. Step immediately into wedge clogs or shoes when getting up.
3. After the morning hustle/bustle, I sit down and do the following routine: 1. Towel scrunch with toes (described somewhere in this website). I honestly could not do even one scrunch when I started - I was shocked! Now, after a month, I'm doing four sets of 35 scrunches. 2. Pick up marbles with your toes - . I have 50 marbles - 25 per foot- drop them in a bowl. Again, on beginning I couldn't pick up even one marble. I was truly amazed because I thought that, as an athlete, especially a runner, I'd be strong of feet! But my research taught me that my athletic stuff was only abusing my feet and high arches, not strengthening them. 3. Massage in Ibuprofen Cream (ordered by link on this website) with a heavy-duty electric massager that I happen to have, for five minutes each foot. I was and am hesitant to do much more upon reading that massage could irritate too much. 4. Stretch. Non weight-bearing. I devised my own stretch but I'm sure it's not uncommom; to isolate the stretch to the calf, I sit with my feet against a wall at 90 degrees. My back is also at 90 degrees. I bend slightly forward at the hips (no rounding the back) until I feel the stretch in the calf. I hold the stretch for 30 seconds and do it six times. As I've improved, I've put a magazine under my toes to force a very slight increase in the stretch angle. But frankly, I'm trying very hard to not stretch too much or force anything - again per what I've read here.
I do this routine again in the evenings and, if I've been active through the day, I add ten minutes of icing.
Everything I've been doing is as a direct result of all I've read here. Last, I visited my PT today and got a rubberized band with instructions on how to use it to add strengthing exercises. I just cannot believe how weak my lower legs and feet were! And now, I swear I feel reborn. For me, the real key has been to commit to treatment! I kept half-trying before without being really committed to it. Well, I've changed my tune.
As a postscript - I had houseguests last week so went off my 'program' for about ten days - plus did a little too much walking around - that was not good. The PF rears its ugly head in no time so I'm really coming to understand just how long this is going to take!

Bob G. on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018234)

Good post, Chris. You have a lot to add to this Board; we each come from a unique perspective.

Nancy S. on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018241)

Hi Chris -- Thank you so much for your posts! You really have come a long way to be able to do all you are doing now, and I heartily congratulate you. The key word that stands out for me in your program is Commitment. That mindset is the foundation to any recovery, and it certainly does involve patience, too. (I keep having to refresh the patience part of commitment in my own mind -- so thank you for that reminder, I've needed about ten of them in the last week.) Best of luck to you, and please keep posting. --Nancy S.

alan k on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018249)

What a wonderful program you are on! It's just like mine in many ways so of course I am going to like it. Please keep posting on your great techniques.

What's that band thing you are using? Could you describe it and the exercises?

alan k

Re: PF-my little program/rubberized band

ChrisO on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018295)

Hi Alan - I've read your posts so many times that I'm practically honored to be 'talking' with you! About those bands - Because the marble and towel things were working so well, and because I read on this site that strengthening was important, I decided to ask my PT about a sort of giant rubber band that my husband had used for PF years ago. The PT did give me an updated version....where they used to be tube-shaped, now it's more like a narrow 'sheet' of rubber - about 4 inches wide by about 4 feet long. It's looped at one end to insert the foot in to and the amount of resistance is determined simply by how tight you hold it while flexing the foot per several 'exercise' methods. The exercises include pulling with the foot away from the resistance in three directions. The other foot acts as a leverage for the band. It reminds me a bit of those foot exercisers that are on this site - can't rememder the name of them.

alan k on 4/05/00 at 00:00 (018324)

Oh i see: probably therabands.
Keep it up, it works!

What are the three directions?
(Sorry to plague you, but my wife is developing an idea I had for a foot-strengthening apparatus)

thanks, alan k

Bob G. on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018234)

Good post, Chris. You have a lot to add to this Board; we each come from a unique perspective.

Nancy S. on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018241)

Hi Chris -- Thank you so much for your posts! You really have come a long way to be able to do all you are doing now, and I heartily congratulate you. The key word that stands out for me in your program is Commitment. That mindset is the foundation to any recovery, and it certainly does involve patience, too. (I keep having to refresh the patience part of commitment in my own mind -- so thank you for that reminder, I've needed about ten of them in the last week.) Best of luck to you, and please keep posting. --Nancy S.

alan k on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018249)

What a wonderful program you are on! It's just like mine in many ways so of course I am going to like it. Please keep posting on your great techniques.

What's that band thing you are using? Could you describe it and the exercises?

alan k

ChrisO on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018295)

Hi Alan - I've read your posts so many times that I'm practically honored to be 'talking' with you! About those bands - Because the marble and towel things were working so well, and because I read on this site that strengthening was important, I decided to ask my PT about a sort of giant rubber band that my husband had used for PF years ago. The PT did give me an updated version....where they used to be tube-shaped, now it's more like a narrow 'sheet' of rubber - about 4 inches wide by about 4 feet long. It's looped at one end to insert the foot in to and the amount of resistance is determined simply by how tight you hold it while flexing the foot per several 'exercise' methods. The exercises include pulling with the foot away from the resistance in three directions. The other foot acts as a leverage for the band. It reminds me a bit of those foot exercisers that are on this site - can't rememder the name of them.

alan k on 4/05/00 at 00:00 (018324)

Oh i see: probably therabands.
Keep it up, it works!

What are the three directions?
(Sorry to plague you, but my wife is developing an idea I had for a foot-strengthening apparatus)

thanks, alan k