Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS and nerve pain

Posted by SherryS on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018274)

Hi Everyone!
This question is for those of you with TTS. Has anyone experienced nerve pain? If so, what are you taking for it if anything?

Re: TTS and nerve pain

john h on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018279)

i think all pain is basically nerve pain. some pain is more decernable as nerve pain such hitting your elbow and getting the shooting pain down your arm. depending on what is causing the pain will probably determine how best to treat it. some of us love ice and some of us hate it. some get relief with one medication and some get no help from the same medication. of course, none of this garbage i just wrote is helping you. TTS is frequently treated with ice and NASIDS. I have never heard of using electrical stimulation (TENS) for TTS. If he is running electrical impulses up and down an irritated nerve it would seem counter productive. he is the doctor however. you might visit a poditrist or orthopedic surgeon which i think is the best advice i can offer.

Re: TTS and nerve pain to john h

SherryS on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018290)

The kind of pain I'm talking about is stinging all over my feet. It even burns at times. I know what you are talking about with the shooting stuff, I get those too. I've been to two neurologist and have had all kinds of blood test and the EMG (twice) ouch! The neuro put me on neurontin, which helps alot. I'm also seeing a podiatrist who wants to do surgery. I'm not ready for that yet. I also am having a great deal of back pain in which I'm seeing an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow. When my back hurts real bad my feet start stinging. Is there a connection? I find that soaking in a tub of hot water helps my feet more than ice. All the ice does is make my bones hurt. Boy what great shape I'm in, huh?

Re: TTS and nerve pain to john h to sherry s

dfeet on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018292)

Absolutely there is a connection! you could have a disc problem in your back. I had an MRI of both feet and then one of my back. The neurologist ordered them, because I also have sciatic pain down my leg. Thankfully there were no ruptured or displaced discs. It was thought that my TTS was causing referred pain to my back. I am being treated with traction , massage, and many back exercises. In addition, my TTS is also being treated with ultrasound, stretching, strengthing , and nightsplints. I find that the combination therapy works best. My PT and I have experimented with different combos, such as, one week no feet treatment and only back, or no back and only feet, or only ultrasound, etc. You need to speak to your Doc to rule out a disc problem( the sciatic nerve runs from your lower back down to your big toe). Good Luck!!

john h on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018306)

certainly can be a connection between back and feet.

john h on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018307)

dfeet: have you tried a 'TENS' unit for your back? You can usually rent one for a week to see if it works for you. The doctor must prescribe it and a Phyiscal Thearpist will normally have one to rent.they can be very effective with some people.

Re: TTS and nerve pain

john h on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018279)

i think all pain is basically nerve pain. some pain is more decernable as nerve pain such hitting your elbow and getting the shooting pain down your arm. depending on what is causing the pain will probably determine how best to treat it. some of us love ice and some of us hate it. some get relief with one medication and some get no help from the same medication. of course, none of this garbage i just wrote is helping you. TTS is frequently treated with ice and NASIDS. I have never heard of using electrical stimulation (TENS) for TTS. If he is running electrical impulses up and down an irritated nerve it would seem counter productive. he is the doctor however. you might visit a poditrist or orthopedic surgeon which i think is the best advice i can offer.

SherryS on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018290)

The kind of pain I'm talking about is stinging all over my feet. It even burns at times. I know what you are talking about with the shooting stuff, I get those too. I've been to two neurologist and have had all kinds of blood test and the EMG (twice) ouch! The neuro put me on neurontin, which helps alot. I'm also seeing a podiatrist who wants to do surgery. I'm not ready for that yet. I also am having a great deal of back pain in which I'm seeing an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow. When my back hurts real bad my feet start stinging. Is there a connection? I find that soaking in a tub of hot water helps my feet more than ice. All the ice does is make my bones hurt. Boy what great shape I'm in, huh?

dfeet on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018292)

Absolutely there is a connection! you could have a disc problem in your back. I had an MRI of both feet and then one of my back. The neurologist ordered them, because I also have sciatic pain down my leg. Thankfully there were no ruptured or displaced discs. It was thought that my TTS was causing referred pain to my back. I am being treated with traction , massage, and many back exercises. In addition, my TTS is also being treated with ultrasound, stretching, strengthing , and nightsplints. I find that the combination therapy works best. My PT and I have experimented with different combos, such as, one week no feet treatment and only back, or no back and only feet, or only ultrasound, etc. You need to speak to your Doc to rule out a disc problem( the sciatic nerve runs from your lower back down to your big toe). Good Luck!!

john h on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018306)

certainly can be a connection between back and feet.

john h on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018307)

dfeet: have you tried a 'TENS' unit for your back? You can usually rent one for a week to see if it works for you. The doctor must prescribe it and a Phyiscal Thearpist will normally have one to rent.they can be very effective with some people.