Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Rest

Posted by john h on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018283)

something that seems to be coming through clearly is that 'REST' can play an important part in recovery or reducing your PF or TTS condition. Problem is that most of us work and have families. Having the luxury or harder yet the patience to rest our feet does not seem to be in the cards for most of us. Many months ago i speculated as to what might happen if you just climbed in bed for 3 months and only got up to go to the bathroom. It is obviously difficult for the fascia or anything else on the bottom of your foot to heal with constant weight and activity on it. i was on crutches for 2 weeks after foot surgery and for the 1st several days after coming off the crutches i was almost pain free.

Re: Rest

Bob G. on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018230)

Hi, Nancy! I can relate to your post; my pain seemed to not want to go away. I wanted to stretch (and I mean really stretch!), take a pill or just do whatever and get on with life. But the pain would not go away. Then I decided to change from a 'day-to-day' (frustrating) attitude/outlook to a more long-term (patient) attitude/outlook. I said to myself, 'Self, you are not going to do ANYTHING but rest for the next (I have to look at a calandar) six months - so put away all other frustrations and JUST DO IT, rest for the next six months, or whatever it takes, and don't even think about it.' That attitude/outlook switch was major in dealing with the frustrations (weight gain, etc.) Of course, I kept stretching, which helped some and hurt some. I was stretching too much too soon, but I finally woke up to that and corrected my course. So much of this is personal trial and error; at least we learn from our mistakes and share our experiences.

I can only think swimming would be good. I would say you need to find a program that works for you and stick to it - and if that means X number of months resting, then do it - you've got to let it heal no matter how long. If you are still experiencing pain then it hasn't healed yet; it must heal before recovery - be careful, go extra gentle and baby those feet. After they've healed you can then work on strengthening.

The 'post-rest' period comes after healing - if the pain is still there it hasn't healed. How you take it 'day-by-day' is to set aside a sufficiently-long rest period and replace 'day-by-day' with 'month-by-month'. That is exactly what I did, keeping an optimistic attitude about the future, but not worring about the day-by-day (that's for AA, not PF).

Nancy S. on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018242)

Thank you, Bob. Perhaps you're right, not day by day? When I began the 3-month rest, it really was an arbitrary choice -- my husband also said 'or six months if that's what it takes' at the time. Of course I chose 3 months, and now think I've been operating under the idea that 'Ok, I've done the 3 months, so now it's time to increase everything and move along.' And the pain IS much better than it was -- but not completely gone. It is becoming clearer and clearer to me in the past week or two, from trial and error, and help from many of you on the board, that I have to continue to find patience, to listen to my feet at least as much as before (in fact I have to get better at it), to take it VERY slowly and not push. (I note that Alan even holds back from things he Thinks he Might be able to do, for the sake of longer healing time and not ending in relapse.) So, I will try harder to keep the big picture in mind and not go by preconceived notions about when to move on to what. Arg, it's hard, but I do believe in it, and I Will Do It. Feet, talk to me. Thanks again --Nancy

dfeet on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018291)

You hit a few chords when you said luxury of rest and work and family obligations. Rest in this day is truly a luxury. However, when one's body starts to yell,one should listen. I guess most of us hear, but due to circumstances, we don't listen very well or aren't able to at all. This seems to be my case at the moment. I am hopeful, though, even with the incremental progress. I'm thankful for this board. There's a lot of good info and advice here. Take care.

hcow on 4/05/00 at 00:00 (018348)

I think you bring up an important point for most pf
sufferers(including myself) The whole thing seems like
a catch 22. Im very glad that since I found this website
and have read and tried to follow some simple guidelines
(stretching gently, no barefeet, etc.) Im not cured but it
does give hope. thanks all that post you have been very helpful

john h on 4/05/00 at 00:00 (018350)

i must admit that i have probably become 'addicted' to this board! it is probably a good addiction however as it provides an outlet to people 'who have been there' and understand. it is tough to make even a loving spouse understand what PF can do to you. it certainly encourages you to persevere when you might otherwise have just thrown in the towell.

Bob G. on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018230)

Hi, Nancy! I can relate to your post; my pain seemed to not want to go away. I wanted to stretch (and I mean really stretch!), take a pill or just do whatever and get on with life. But the pain would not go away. Then I decided to change from a 'day-to-day' (frustrating) attitude/outlook to a more long-term (patient) attitude/outlook. I said to myself, 'Self, you are not going to do ANYTHING but rest for the next (I have to look at a calandar) six months - so put away all other frustrations and JUST DO IT, rest for the next six months, or whatever it takes, and don't even think about it.' That attitude/outlook switch was major in dealing with the frustrations (weight gain, etc.) Of course, I kept stretching, which helped some and hurt some. I was stretching too much too soon, but I finally woke up to that and corrected my course. So much of this is personal trial and error; at least we learn from our mistakes and share our experiences.

I can only think swimming would be good. I would say you need to find a program that works for you and stick to it - and if that means X number of months resting, then do it - you've got to let it heal no matter how long. If you are still experiencing pain then it hasn't healed yet; it must heal before recovery - be careful, go extra gentle and baby those feet. After they've healed you can then work on strengthening.

The 'post-rest' period comes after healing - if the pain is still there it hasn't healed. How you take it 'day-by-day' is to set aside a sufficiently-long rest period and replace 'day-by-day' with 'month-by-month'. That is exactly what I did, keeping an optimistic attitude about the future, but not worring about the day-by-day (that's for AA, not PF).

Nancy S. on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018242)

Thank you, Bob. Perhaps you're right, not day by day? When I began the 3-month rest, it really was an arbitrary choice -- my husband also said 'or six months if that's what it takes' at the time. Of course I chose 3 months, and now think I've been operating under the idea that 'Ok, I've done the 3 months, so now it's time to increase everything and move along.' And the pain IS much better than it was -- but not completely gone. It is becoming clearer and clearer to me in the past week or two, from trial and error, and help from many of you on the board, that I have to continue to find patience, to listen to my feet at least as much as before (in fact I have to get better at it), to take it VERY slowly and not push. (I note that Alan even holds back from things he Thinks he Might be able to do, for the sake of longer healing time and not ending in relapse.) So, I will try harder to keep the big picture in mind and not go by preconceived notions about when to move on to what. Arg, it's hard, but I do believe in it, and I Will Do It. Feet, talk to me. Thanks again --Nancy

dfeet on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018291)

You hit a few chords when you said luxury of rest and work and family obligations. Rest in this day is truly a luxury. However, when one's body starts to yell,one should listen. I guess most of us hear, but due to circumstances, we don't listen very well or aren't able to at all. This seems to be my case at the moment. I am hopeful, though, even with the incremental progress. I'm thankful for this board. There's a lot of good info and advice here. Take care.

hcow on 4/05/00 at 00:00 (018348)

I think you bring up an important point for most pf
sufferers(including myself) The whole thing seems like
a catch 22. Im very glad that since I found this website
and have read and tried to follow some simple guidelines
(stretching gently, no barefeet, etc.) Im not cured but it
does give hope. thanks all that post you have been very helpful

john h on 4/05/00 at 00:00 (018350)

i must admit that i have probably become 'addicted' to this board! it is probably a good addiction however as it provides an outlet to people 'who have been there' and understand. it is tough to make even a loving spouse understand what PF can do to you. it certainly encourages you to persevere when you might otherwise have just thrown in the towell.