Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: PF -- to ChrisO

Posted by Nancy S. on 4/05/00 at 00:00 (018325)

Chris, it sounds like for the first two weeks of your program you still had pain. Does this mean you had pain WHILE you were doing the exercises? If so, was it a lot or a little? Did you exercise through the pain or pull back when it began to hurt? Thanks --Nancy S.

ChrisO on 4/05/00 at 00:00 (018338)

Hi Nancy - Yes and no to your question. I think I got a bit of a jump start on the pain by sitting in front of my computer for a week. No exercise, no housework (I wouldn't even cut my hubby's hair!), just sitting and reading. I know that you know how difficult no activity is no matter what your lifestyle. But that inactivity didn't bug me too much because my goal, anyway, was to glean as much info as I could off the 'net and start my little program. So when I started the pgm., I think I'd already alleviated about 30 percent of the constant nature of the pain. That doesn't mean I went back to activity - I didn't except for lifting and, while I was moving about in my everyday life, as soon as my heels yelped, I sat down - sometimes I iced them. Anyway, with my program, if anything hurts, I don't do it. That seems to be a common theme on this site. My stretching is only to a bare minimum and I studiously avoid stretching the plantar itself. I never have pain with the various steps of my routine because I refuse to continue with any movement that results in pain. Unfortunately, as athletes, we're taught 'No Pain, No Gain' so it's a HUGE jump to stay away from that mentality while doing this healing process!

Nancy S. on 4/05/00 at 00:00 (018342)

Great, Chris. I just wanted to be sure that, all evidence to the contrary, we hadn't been joined by someone with a terrific success (succeeding?) story who Got There by working through the pain. Otherwise we'd have a lot of theories to rethink here! (And as you can probably tell from studying this board, we would all set about doing just that.) Thanks --Nancy

ChrisO on 4/05/00 at 00:00 (018338)

Hi Nancy - Yes and no to your question. I think I got a bit of a jump start on the pain by sitting in front of my computer for a week. No exercise, no housework (I wouldn't even cut my hubby's hair!), just sitting and reading. I know that you know how difficult no activity is no matter what your lifestyle. But that inactivity didn't bug me too much because my goal, anyway, was to glean as much info as I could off the 'net and start my little program. So when I started the pgm., I think I'd already alleviated about 30 percent of the constant nature of the pain. That doesn't mean I went back to activity - I didn't except for lifting and, while I was moving about in my everyday life, as soon as my heels yelped, I sat down - sometimes I iced them. Anyway, with my program, if anything hurts, I don't do it. That seems to be a common theme on this site. My stretching is only to a bare minimum and I studiously avoid stretching the plantar itself. I never have pain with the various steps of my routine because I refuse to continue with any movement that results in pain. Unfortunately, as athletes, we're taught 'No Pain, No Gain' so it's a HUGE jump to stay away from that mentality while doing this healing process!

Nancy S. on 4/05/00 at 00:00 (018342)

Great, Chris. I just wanted to be sure that, all evidence to the contrary, we hadn't been joined by someone with a terrific success (succeeding?) story who Got There by working through the pain. Otherwise we'd have a lot of theories to rethink here! (And as you can probably tell from studying this board, we would all set about doing just that.) Thanks --Nancy