Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I eat predominantely low-carb...

Posted by pookie on 4/05/00 at 00:00 (018363)

and love the diet. I do take my supplement of vitamins, and potassium, and cheat quite a bit I must admit. But overall, since I changed to a low-carb diet, I have more energy, and stamina (I teach). Just the other day I splurged and ate a big plate of spaguetti, and my system freaked out. I developed IBS symptoms for 3-4 days, and felt tired. I have friends who have lost 50 lbs on the diet, and feel SO HEALTHY! Even their cholesterols go down.

If interested, there is a web site at proteinpower.com. I don't know how to link websites through the message board. Maybe you can tell me how.

I also take liga-tend, a supplement many injured mountain climbers take for tendon and ligament injuries, and this is helping my PF. In addition, I am getting treated by a chiropractor with ultrasound, TENS, deep tissue massage, and exercise, and all this combination of things seems to be helping, of course, not to forget the orthos.

Pookie

Re: I eat predominantely low-carb...

alan k on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018380)

ligatend is such a tough thing to judge because it has everything in it one can never be sure about what is working, but if it works you don't necessarily have to understand it.

The bromelain in it could be it, or the b vitamins, or the muccopolysachirides which are great anti-IBS. I might take it again but I bailed out the first time because of the price.

do you have a lot of fillings pookie? This filling thing may be a contributor-- a lot of debate over it and a lot of scary claims-- I don't recommend anyone get too excited over it since most of us can't afford to get them changed, but it may be something like in the post above where we can do things (mostly dietary) to manage it.

alan k

alan k

Re: I eat predominantely low-carb...WOW POOKIE!

Pat on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018399)

I have gone on the same diet. I'm also gluten intolerent, so it is because I need to for a bit, not because of weight problem. I have been off most carbohydrates for a month, went back on them last week, and boy howdy! I've had a time with diarhea, cramps, gas, etc. I
thought I had a stomach bug. So, this must be my problem? It is normal? I assume its just my systme readjusting?

Re: I eat predominantely low-carb... To Pookie and Pat

Nancy S. on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018425)

I eat low-carb also, but as a result of following a
yeast-killing diet for candida; the eating programs are
very similar as far as low carbs. I actually ate pretty
much zero-to-only-a-few carbs for about 7 weeks, then
slowly began adding certain ones back in. Pat, it sounds
like you may have returned to carbs too quickly -- your
system didn't like it. Changing the diet -- both by
dropping carbs and by adding them quickly -- is a big
surprise to your body and can cause all kinds of temporary
reactions, including the ones you listed, Pat.
Pookie, like you, I feel a million times better since
starting this over three months ago -- definitely less
fatigue, less brain fogginess, more (but not yet complete) ability to think my way out of a paper bag. Also lost all the extra pounds I'd put on from less activty due to PF -- and then some. In fact I don't want to lose any more and should probably be adding a few more carbs than I have till now. I even suspect it has helped the PF -- but can't prove it. I'm afraid the medical world has a lot to catch up on in the nutrition department. I'm sorry to say that I helped the research outfit that created the food pyramid, by writing up focus-group reports. What a mistake! --Nancy

Re: I eat predominantely low-carb...

alan k on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018380)

ligatend is such a tough thing to judge because it has everything in it one can never be sure about what is working, but if it works you don't necessarily have to understand it.

The bromelain in it could be it, or the b vitamins, or the muccopolysachirides which are great anti-IBS. I might take it again but I bailed out the first time because of the price.

do you have a lot of fillings pookie? This filling thing may be a contributor-- a lot of debate over it and a lot of scary claims-- I don't recommend anyone get too excited over it since most of us can't afford to get them changed, but it may be something like in the post above where we can do things (mostly dietary) to manage it.

alan k

alan k

Re: I eat predominantely low-carb...WOW POOKIE!

Pat on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018399)

I have gone on the same diet. I'm also gluten intolerent, so it is because I need to for a bit, not because of weight problem. I have been off most carbohydrates for a month, went back on them last week, and boy howdy! I've had a time with diarhea, cramps, gas, etc. I
thought I had a stomach bug. So, this must be my problem? It is normal? I assume its just my systme readjusting?

Re: I eat predominantely low-carb... To Pookie and Pat

Nancy S. on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018425)

I eat low-carb also, but as a result of following a
yeast-killing diet for candida; the eating programs are
very similar as far as low carbs. I actually ate pretty
much zero-to-only-a-few carbs for about 7 weeks, then
slowly began adding certain ones back in. Pat, it sounds
like you may have returned to carbs too quickly -- your
system didn't like it. Changing the diet -- both by
dropping carbs and by adding them quickly -- is a big
surprise to your body and can cause all kinds of temporary
reactions, including the ones you listed, Pat.
Pookie, like you, I feel a million times better since
starting this over three months ago -- definitely less
fatigue, less brain fogginess, more (but not yet complete) ability to think my way out of a paper bag. Also lost all the extra pounds I'd put on from less activty due to PF -- and then some. In fact I don't want to lose any more and should probably be adding a few more carbs than I have till now. I even suspect it has helped the PF -- but can't prove it. I'm afraid the medical world has a lot to catch up on in the nutrition department. I'm sorry to say that I helped the research outfit that created the food pyramid, by writing up focus-group reports. What a mistake! --Nancy