Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Any luck with massage and healers!

Posted by Lori R. on 4/05/00 at 00:00 (018376)

I am going to a person tomorrow who is a healer, does cranial-sacral, polarity and is an excellent massager. She has experience with PF and says I should come and she will give me more therapy after this. She doesn't think i should go to a doctor yet. Anybody have experience in people like her? She helped with rotator cuff problems, my daughters constipation, my husbands back problem. she is great. What do you think?

Re: Any luck with massage and healers!

PattyS on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018381)

I went to see Dr. Leahy in CA today for my first Active Release Therapy. I hate to be too optimistic after only my 1st appt., but my foot has not felt this good in about 6 months. It is not perfect but def. better. I will go for 2 weeks, 3x each week and then the Chiro feels it will be 'cured'. It was not to painful, or too expensive so I will give it a shot. I will report back next week after I have gone 3x (halfway) and the following week when done. Patty

alan k on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018382)

sounds great and massage definitely helped me, though only if consistently applied (daily). That's just one experience. It seems strange that she would ask you not to see a doctor. I don't see any harm in seeing a doctor also, though you might think about avoiding any shots, scalpels, or other radical treatments before giving massage a try. The request not to see a doctor is a little strange-sounding to me, unless you don't have insurance and she knows that or something.

Just be forwarned that many health professionals do not take pf very seriously and so might be casual about things like referals and what treatments you need. For the most part they are right not to take it seriously but sometimes they can be very, very wrong. My doctor didn't think I needed to see a podiatrist for the first six weeks. In fact, he didn't even think I needed to hear about this thing called 'plantar fasciitis' for six weeks either. If he had only given me a name, even as a possibility, I would have found this site and saved myself before it was too late.

So I guess I am saying why not see a doctor-- but I suddenly realize I am contradicting myself all over the place here. You get what I mean...

alan k

john h on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018392)

i went to one massage thearapist who was into the hands on spiritual type healing. my wallet now needs healing! i continue to go to a conventional massage thearapist who has had classroom training on dealing with PF. I think i have achieved some positive results from this thearapy and recommend it. Must be careful if you have TTS however as vigorus massage thearapy can do some damage in this area.

dfeet on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018407)

John h, you had mentioned that before about the massage injuring the tarsal tunnel. Do you think it is due to the compression that occurs when massaged? Although massage is said to stimulate venous return and circulation and thereby decrease inflamation. I don't know? Your info makes sense, though. Why would you want to poke a nerve that is already inflamed? Any thoughts?

john h on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018408)

if you have a compressed nerve and the thearapist manapulates the ankle/foot in a manner so as to further compress the nerve then yes more pain more inflamation. MD indicated this to me and i believe him.

Kim B. on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018465)

Hi Lori,

I am having a lot of success with this type of therapy. I have been seeing a 'Healer' who is an excellent massage threapist certified in a lot of different diciplines including cranial sacral realease and foot reflexology.

I had started to believe that I had developed TTS to go along with my PF and she has greately reversed the TTS type symptoms, though I was never offically diagnosed with TTS. I see where some have posted that those with TTS shouldn't have foot massage done on them. However, this lady has literally unkinked the pinched nerves in my ankes and feet, so for me it has been beneficial. The circulation in my feet is much better, and I am still improving. I am sure the skill of the person doing the massage/release has a lot to do with the outcome. In addition, the diciplines I learned here (no barefeet, stretching, shower shoes, relacement insoles, good shoes, etc.) are all factors too.

I posted on the subject a couple of times. Do a search at this site using the word 'reflexology' if you want to read more about my visits with the healer.

Good luck,
Kim B.

Lori R. on 4/16/00 at 00:00 (018766)

My pf is getting so much better. I have alittle bit of pain except when she does her massage. It feel so much better after 2 visits. she is also a healer. I haven't seen a doctor but I probably will in case maybe orthotics are needed for running. What do you think?

PattyS on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018381)

I went to see Dr. Leahy in CA today for my first Active Release Therapy. I hate to be too optimistic after only my 1st appt., but my foot has not felt this good in about 6 months. It is not perfect but def. better. I will go for 2 weeks, 3x each week and then the Chiro feels it will be 'cured'. It was not to painful, or too expensive so I will give it a shot. I will report back next week after I have gone 3x (halfway) and the following week when done. Patty

alan k on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018382)

sounds great and massage definitely helped me, though only if consistently applied (daily). That's just one experience. It seems strange that she would ask you not to see a doctor. I don't see any harm in seeing a doctor also, though you might think about avoiding any shots, scalpels, or other radical treatments before giving massage a try. The request not to see a doctor is a little strange-sounding to me, unless you don't have insurance and she knows that or something.

Just be forwarned that many health professionals do not take pf very seriously and so might be casual about things like referals and what treatments you need. For the most part they are right not to take it seriously but sometimes they can be very, very wrong. My doctor didn't think I needed to see a podiatrist for the first six weeks. In fact, he didn't even think I needed to hear about this thing called 'plantar fasciitis' for six weeks either. If he had only given me a name, even as a possibility, I would have found this site and saved myself before it was too late.

So I guess I am saying why not see a doctor-- but I suddenly realize I am contradicting myself all over the place here. You get what I mean...

alan k

john h on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018392)

i went to one massage thearapist who was into the hands on spiritual type healing. my wallet now needs healing! i continue to go to a conventional massage thearapist who has had classroom training on dealing with PF. I think i have achieved some positive results from this thearapy and recommend it. Must be careful if you have TTS however as vigorus massage thearapy can do some damage in this area.

dfeet on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018407)

John h, you had mentioned that before about the massage injuring the tarsal tunnel. Do you think it is due to the compression that occurs when massaged? Although massage is said to stimulate venous return and circulation and thereby decrease inflamation. I don't know? Your info makes sense, though. Why would you want to poke a nerve that is already inflamed? Any thoughts?

john h on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018408)

if you have a compressed nerve and the thearapist manapulates the ankle/foot in a manner so as to further compress the nerve then yes more pain more inflamation. MD indicated this to me and i believe him.

Kim B. on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018465)

Hi Lori,

I am having a lot of success with this type of therapy. I have been seeing a 'Healer' who is an excellent massage threapist certified in a lot of different diciplines including cranial sacral realease and foot reflexology.

I had started to believe that I had developed TTS to go along with my PF and she has greately reversed the TTS type symptoms, though I was never offically diagnosed with TTS. I see where some have posted that those with TTS shouldn't have foot massage done on them. However, this lady has literally unkinked the pinched nerves in my ankes and feet, so for me it has been beneficial. The circulation in my feet is much better, and I am still improving. I am sure the skill of the person doing the massage/release has a lot to do with the outcome. In addition, the diciplines I learned here (no barefeet, stretching, shower shoes, relacement insoles, good shoes, etc.) are all factors too.

I posted on the subject a couple of times. Do a search at this site using the word 'reflexology' if you want to read more about my visits with the healer.

Good luck,
Kim B.

Lori R. on 4/16/00 at 00:00 (018766)

My pf is getting so much better. I have alittle bit of pain except when she does her massage. It feel so much better after 2 visits. she is also a healer. I haven't seen a doctor but I probably will in case maybe orthotics are needed for running. What do you think?