Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Yes, with Chiropractor

Posted by John C on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018390)

Lori,
I recently had PF for 16 months. I went thru Pods, orthotics, heat, ice, night splints, glucosamine, vitamine C, and more. After about 12 months, I had gotten the pain down to about 20% and just couldn't get that to diminish. I am a runner and was very discouraged that I couldn' resume running without the pain coming back. I just happened to read several post on this board about people having some success with chiropractors. I check my insurance and discovered that chiro care was covered. So, I thought, what the heck. That first visit made my pain dissappear for 3 days. I was astonished. In short, I went for 6 weeks, 3 times per week for 2 weeks, 2 times for 2 weeks, and finally 1 time for the last 2 weeks. What I got was massage, an ultrasound treatment and a heat treatment. Everytime I went, I got a massage. The ultrasound and heat were alternated. I'm convinced that the massage was the most effective part. The massage was quite simple and something that I could do myself. I discovered that when I was having some pain, I could sit down and within 10 minutes I could massage it away. After the 6 weeks, my pain was almost totally gone. I resumed running and have been running for about 9 months with almost no problems.

If I were you, I would give it a try. You might be as skeptical as I was. If it doesn't help, try something else.

Best of luck.

John

alan k on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018396)

what was the massage you did on yourself? I just realized after almost a year that I didn't try a chiropracter yet, and it's covered in my insurance. I definitely would be interested in seeing what they do with massage, since that is my light at the end of the tunnel finally. I'm also still curious about diet and gi conditions.

alan k

John C on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018402)

Alan,

My pain was the classic spot on my left foot. It was on the front of the heel and a little bit to the outside. When the chiro did the massage, she used a cream to make her pressure and movements spooth. I never used anything but my bare hands. The massage basically was using a thumb with a good bit of pressure and moving around in a very small circle. Since the plantar is fairly deep and under the heel fat pad, it takes a good bit of pressure to get down to it. She and I both would apply just enough pressure to make it hurt a little. I think that if you do not apply enough pressure to make it hurt, you are not going to do any good. At the same time, too much pressure and pain may do more harm.

When the chiro did the massage, she would do it for about 10 minutes. That would be followed by an ultrasound or a heat treatment. I'm convinced that the massage did most of the good. One reason I think this is this. While I was still going to the chiro, occassionally my foot would hurt a little. I could do the same massage to myself and make the pain go away.

I don't want to sound like an ad for chiropractors. This is the only time in my life that I have ever gone to one and I'm 57 years old. Doing the massage, got rid of that last 20% of my pain and got me back to running. Needless to say, I'm very happy that I gave this a try. I just wich I had gone earlier. Ain't hindsight great!

I wish you the best of luck.

John

Re: Yes, with Chiropractor -- re: massage

Nancy S. on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018404)

Hi John C, your massaging so that it hurts a little sounds frightening to me. But obviously you have gotten better, so I hope you don't mind a few questions? Why do you think it is important to massage hard enough for it to hurt? I mean, what is happening in there when you're doing that? If it's breaking up scar tissue, how can a person be sure it isn't also tearing the fascia more? Also, do you have a heel spur, and would this kind of massage be recommended for heel spurs? I'm not meaning this in any kind of challenging way at all -- I'm glad you're better and, being not exactly a rocket scientist in anatomy, I'm just trying to understand. Thank you! --Nancy S.

JOhn C on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018409)

Hi Nancy,

I am definitely not an expert in any of this. I can make a guess and occassionally be right. Sometimes I'm just plain lucky, as in this case. As for the pain part, that was what the chiro did the very first time and, as I said, I was astonished
at the result for me. She massaged it hard enough to hurt a little. She used the slight pain as a guide to get to the area that was injured. Once there, she would concentrate on that spot. Yes, there was pain, but a very very mild one. The pain was not at all a problem for me. I think that what you said about the massage breaking up scar tissue is a likely possibility. Could a hard massage cause more damage? Thats possible. But at the same time, it's hard for me to imagine doing more damage than walking on it. Walking puts about 1 1/2 times your body weight on the heel and foot. It would be very difficult to duplicate that with your bare hands. Also, during my PF, I used very little NSAIDS. I always let the pain be a guide to what worked and very quickly would back off of anything that increased the pain. Just before going to the chiro, I tried some very short runs. Before I got up to 1/4 mile, the pain came charging back.

As for the heel spur, yes, I have two. The POD I went to did an X-ray and said I had one on both feet. I am a long time runner. My POD said that nearly all runners have spurs. But, most do not have problems from them. Incidently, my PF came from a sudden injury caused by a jump of approx 6 feet and a bad landing. My running made the problem much worse since I tried for 3 months to run thru it. Dumb.

If you have any other questions, I will try to help. That is why I still read the board. This web site helped me much more than the POD I went to and I would like to return the favor.

I hope this is a help to you. Best of luck.

John

Nancy S. on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018420)

Thank you, John C. All info. is helpful, and it's great that you return here to try to help others after you've improved so much. I hope to do the same. Maybe the key is that you had a very good chiropractor who knew exactly what she was doing -- certainly sounds like it. I haven't seen a chiropractor, and I may try one at some point if I stall in progress. Your posts are inspiring me to hold that open as an option and so add to my litte list of future hopes. Thanks --Nancy

alan k on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018396)

what was the massage you did on yourself? I just realized after almost a year that I didn't try a chiropracter yet, and it's covered in my insurance. I definitely would be interested in seeing what they do with massage, since that is my light at the end of the tunnel finally. I'm also still curious about diet and gi conditions.

alan k

John C on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018402)

Alan,

My pain was the classic spot on my left foot. It was on the front of the heel and a little bit to the outside. When the chiro did the massage, she used a cream to make her pressure and movements spooth. I never used anything but my bare hands. The massage basically was using a thumb with a good bit of pressure and moving around in a very small circle. Since the plantar is fairly deep and under the heel fat pad, it takes a good bit of pressure to get down to it. She and I both would apply just enough pressure to make it hurt a little. I think that if you do not apply enough pressure to make it hurt, you are not going to do any good. At the same time, too much pressure and pain may do more harm.

When the chiro did the massage, she would do it for about 10 minutes. That would be followed by an ultrasound or a heat treatment. I'm convinced that the massage did most of the good. One reason I think this is this. While I was still going to the chiro, occassionally my foot would hurt a little. I could do the same massage to myself and make the pain go away.

I don't want to sound like an ad for chiropractors. This is the only time in my life that I have ever gone to one and I'm 57 years old. Doing the massage, got rid of that last 20% of my pain and got me back to running. Needless to say, I'm very happy that I gave this a try. I just wich I had gone earlier. Ain't hindsight great!

I wish you the best of luck.

John

Nancy S. on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018404)

Hi John C, your massaging so that it hurts a little sounds frightening to me. But obviously you have gotten better, so I hope you don't mind a few questions? Why do you think it is important to massage hard enough for it to hurt? I mean, what is happening in there when you're doing that? If it's breaking up scar tissue, how can a person be sure it isn't also tearing the fascia more? Also, do you have a heel spur, and would this kind of massage be recommended for heel spurs? I'm not meaning this in any kind of challenging way at all -- I'm glad you're better and, being not exactly a rocket scientist in anatomy, I'm just trying to understand. Thank you! --Nancy S.

JOhn C on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018409)

Hi Nancy,

I am definitely not an expert in any of this. I can make a guess and occassionally be right. Sometimes I'm just plain lucky, as in this case. As for the pain part, that was what the chiro did the very first time and, as I said, I was astonished
at the result for me. She massaged it hard enough to hurt a little. She used the slight pain as a guide to get to the area that was injured. Once there, she would concentrate on that spot. Yes, there was pain, but a very very mild one. The pain was not at all a problem for me. I think that what you said about the massage breaking up scar tissue is a likely possibility. Could a hard massage cause more damage? Thats possible. But at the same time, it's hard for me to imagine doing more damage than walking on it. Walking puts about 1 1/2 times your body weight on the heel and foot. It would be very difficult to duplicate that with your bare hands. Also, during my PF, I used very little NSAIDS. I always let the pain be a guide to what worked and very quickly would back off of anything that increased the pain. Just before going to the chiro, I tried some very short runs. Before I got up to 1/4 mile, the pain came charging back.

As for the heel spur, yes, I have two. The POD I went to did an X-ray and said I had one on both feet. I am a long time runner. My POD said that nearly all runners have spurs. But, most do not have problems from them. Incidently, my PF came from a sudden injury caused by a jump of approx 6 feet and a bad landing. My running made the problem much worse since I tried for 3 months to run thru it. Dumb.

If you have any other questions, I will try to help. That is why I still read the board. This web site helped me much more than the POD I went to and I would like to return the favor.

I hope this is a help to you. Best of luck.

John

Nancy S. on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018420)

Thank you, John C. All info. is helpful, and it's great that you return here to try to help others after you've improved so much. I hope to do the same. Maybe the key is that you had a very good chiropractor who knew exactly what she was doing -- certainly sounds like it. I haven't seen a chiropractor, and I may try one at some point if I stall in progress. Your posts are inspiring me to hold that open as an option and so add to my litte list of future hopes. Thanks --Nancy