Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Next Step?

Posted by Hop-a-long on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018391)

I don't know what to do next. Suffering w/ PF for over a year in left foot. I've tried all the conservative treatments as well as a round of shots. Ibuprofen cream, shoes, inserts,stretching exercises, etc. The more I walk/exercise the worse it gets. Even when I do nothing, heel throbs with pain. Can't take anti-inflammatories, but celebrex provides minimal relief. Podiatrist wants to do partial release endoscopic surgery, but that scares me. Will it do more harm than good? I'm at my wits end with this pain. What's my next step? Appreciate any advice.

Re: Next Step?

alan k on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018397)

did you try massage, nightsplints, strengthening, extremely gentle and conservative stretching, bromelain (on empty stomach), low-carb diet? These have to be done consistently over time.

If walking, exercise makes it worse then don't do them! Rest is the number one most effective treatment.

alan k

Laurie R on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018412)

Hello Hop a long,
Sorry you are having such a hard time.Have you been to PT yet?I know you are frustrated we all get that way when we are in pain .Can you take time off work to rest?I am in a hard cast at this time and I will tell you it has helped with the pain ,I still have pain bu tit has helped.Have you tryed a cast yet? I am in the cast for TTS I also have PF too.I think the most thing that has helped me is rest.3 weeks ago nothing would help my pain I mean it was so bad pain meds would not even help but now that my foot can't move it has helped.I know this cast will not cure my TTs or PF but it is the best thing I have tryed in 9 months. My very best to you and I hope you feel better soon.......Laurie R

ChrisO on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018416)

Gotta love that 'hop-a-long' handle!

The next step? who knows - but I think you'll find strength in this site. There are many good ideas here and, as I've read, I've come to understand that the real key seems to be religious commitment to a daily healing regimen. At the risk of sounding egotistical, you might want to read my posts on 4/4 (maybe 4/3) entitles 'PF', then 'PF, my little program'. I based my whole thing on trying harder to avoid surgery, more shots and more anti-inflammatories.

Bob G. on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018433)

Hop-a-long, I have to agree with Alan. You may be re-injuring your condition - you're not supposed to exercise it until it has healed. I know what you're going through - you must stop painful activity and exercises that cause pain and the vicious cycle of re-injury. Give it a rest; I suspect many months of rest required. Study this Board; I suspect you can beat this condition.

CherylBoston on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018886)

hopalong ....where are you now??? whats happening????e-mail me and let me know.....

alan k on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018397)

did you try massage, nightsplints, strengthening, extremely gentle and conservative stretching, bromelain (on empty stomach), low-carb diet? These have to be done consistently over time.

If walking, exercise makes it worse then don't do them! Rest is the number one most effective treatment.

alan k

Laurie R on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018412)

Hello Hop a long,
Sorry you are having such a hard time.Have you been to PT yet?I know you are frustrated we all get that way when we are in pain .Can you take time off work to rest?I am in a hard cast at this time and I will tell you it has helped with the pain ,I still have pain bu tit has helped.Have you tryed a cast yet? I am in the cast for TTS I also have PF too.I think the most thing that has helped me is rest.3 weeks ago nothing would help my pain I mean it was so bad pain meds would not even help but now that my foot can't move it has helped.I know this cast will not cure my TTs or PF but it is the best thing I have tryed in 9 months. My very best to you and I hope you feel better soon.......Laurie R

ChrisO on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018416)

Gotta love that 'hop-a-long' handle!

The next step? who knows - but I think you'll find strength in this site. There are many good ideas here and, as I've read, I've come to understand that the real key seems to be religious commitment to a daily healing regimen. At the risk of sounding egotistical, you might want to read my posts on 4/4 (maybe 4/3) entitles 'PF', then 'PF, my little program'. I based my whole thing on trying harder to avoid surgery, more shots and more anti-inflammatories.

Bob G. on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018433)

Hop-a-long, I have to agree with Alan. You may be re-injuring your condition - you're not supposed to exercise it until it has healed. I know what you're going through - you must stop painful activity and exercises that cause pain and the vicious cycle of re-injury. Give it a rest; I suspect many months of rest required. Study this Board; I suspect you can beat this condition.

CherylBoston on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018886)

hopalong ....where are you now??? whats happening????e-mail me and let me know.....