Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

5 wks. post-Sonorex

Posted by Trish on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018401)

I've had lots of pain this past week, mostly in the treated foot. I've been taking Celebrex everyday and icing lots, and the pain is very persistent. The other foot has improved a lot, probably due to the anti-inflammatories. The treated foot feels worse than before the treatment, I hope this is only temporary!!
posted to the eswt board

Re: 5 wks. post-Sonorex

David L on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018485)

Hi Trish,
Sorry to hear that you are still in pain. That is very rare to still have such pain after your last treatment. As I had mentioned to you before, the fact that it does hurt means that something is definitely going on. Studies show that in the long term, no patients get worse...they only stay the same or get better. You should consider having one or two more sessions as that might really make a difference. Best wishes,
David Lowy
Vice President Canada, Sonorex. http://www.sonorex.com Toll Free: 1 877 766-6287
posted to the eswt board

Trish on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018508)

I have an apt. with my Dr. next wk., at the 6 wk. post-treatment point, and will discuss with him then the possibility of 2 more treatments. What is the recommended time frame, if a person decides to have 2 more treatments? I am wondering if sooner is better; because if that doesn't matter, I might prefer to wait and see what my longer-turn result is with the 3 treatments I've had......I'm worried that there is a chance this has made me worse, in which case it would be insane to go back for more........on the other hand, if 2 more treatments would help me, I'M IN!!! The additional cost and discomfort of the treatment is not my concern at this point. Any feedback you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
posted to the eswt board

David L on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018523)

Firstly, it is very important to realize that in all the world literature and studies relating to the low energy ESWT (Sonocur) treatment that you had, there is no evidence of any damage occuring to tissue with this treatment. Patients either stay the same, or get better, although during the healing process, you may experience greater pain, such as you had. Normal protocol for patients who are still in pain 406 weeks after their 3rd treatment, is to have one or two more spaced one week apart. You just may need more impulses to the area. We do not recommend waiting much longer than 6 weeks after the 3rd treatment. Other patients that I know of who have experienced what you are experiencing (including me!) have improved tremendously over time, with more treatments.
I would suggest discussing this with your doctor to determine your next step. Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.
Sincerely,
David Lowy
Vice President, Canada
Sonorex Therapy Centers Toll Free 1 877 766-6287 http://www.sonorex.com
posted to the eswt board

Trish on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018528)

Thanks for your response. I'll discuss this with my Dr. next week.
posted to the eswt board

David L on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018485)

Hi Trish,
Sorry to hear that you are still in pain. That is very rare to still have such pain after your last treatment. As I had mentioned to you before, the fact that it does hurt means that something is definitely going on. Studies show that in the long term, no patients get worse...they only stay the same or get better. You should consider having one or two more sessions as that might really make a difference. Best wishes,
David Lowy
Vice President Canada, Sonorex. http://www.sonorex.com Toll Free: 1 877 766-6287
posted to the eswt board

Trish on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018508)

I have an apt. with my Dr. next wk., at the 6 wk. post-treatment point, and will discuss with him then the possibility of 2 more treatments. What is the recommended time frame, if a person decides to have 2 more treatments? I am wondering if sooner is better; because if that doesn't matter, I might prefer to wait and see what my longer-turn result is with the 3 treatments I've had......I'm worried that there is a chance this has made me worse, in which case it would be insane to go back for more........on the other hand, if 2 more treatments would help me, I'M IN!!! The additional cost and discomfort of the treatment is not my concern at this point. Any feedback you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
posted to the eswt board

David L on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018523)

Firstly, it is very important to realize that in all the world literature and studies relating to the low energy ESWT (Sonocur) treatment that you had, there is no evidence of any damage occuring to tissue with this treatment. Patients either stay the same, or get better, although during the healing process, you may experience greater pain, such as you had. Normal protocol for patients who are still in pain 406 weeks after their 3rd treatment, is to have one or two more spaced one week apart. You just may need more impulses to the area. We do not recommend waiting much longer than 6 weeks after the 3rd treatment. Other patients that I know of who have experienced what you are experiencing (including me!) have improved tremendously over time, with more treatments.
I would suggest discussing this with your doctor to determine your next step. Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.
Sincerely,
David Lowy
Vice President, Canada
Sonorex Therapy Centers Toll Free 1 877 766-6287 http://www.sonorex.com
posted to the eswt board

Trish on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018528)

Thanks for your response. I'll discuss this with my Dr. next week.
posted to the eswt board