Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF Pain travels up into my calf! HELP

Posted by janine C. on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018403)

I'm a first timer on this website. I've had PF for over a year and had a cortisone shot 5 wks ago. Now the PF is back again. This time it's running up into the calf muscle and it cramps up alot. I've had 3 major surgeries in the past 4 years and had hip calcium deposits that made me limp which I think caused the shifting in my foot and thus created the PF. Does anyone ever experience the calf pain? Aside from stretching, is there anything that helps? I am currently on Celebrex for arthritis in my neck (had surgery). I just turned 40 and am trying to loose the weight I had gained when I quit smoking over a year ago. Any advice on specific shoe/heel inserts? I've got great insurance so that's not a problem with money for orthotics. Has anyone had the PF surgery? Has it worked for you? Thanks for any help I can get!!!

Re: PF Pain travels up into my calf! HELP

Susan S on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018445)

Read Scott's Book and then try everything. Most here will vote against the shots. Personally, the effects were not long lasting and certainly not worth the pain. The shots don't make the PF go way, just the pain and just temporarily. I'd have to say the most effective treatment for me as fara s my calves has been stretching. You have definately found the best tool available when you found this site. Good Luck!!

KarenK on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018455)

If you are having trouble stretching, and don't feel the stretch in the calf but in the achilles, you are probably not going to do yourself any good trying to stretch on your own. Go to a good massage therapist who will do deep tissue massage to release the calf muscles. After that you should be able to keep the calves stretched out on your own.

Kim B. on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018541)

Hi Janine,

I too am having good success with massage therapy. Specifically Foot 'Reflexology'. But you need someone very skilled at it. This is no time to be a pratice dummy for someone who is learning their skill. My pain also had started shooting up my legs into my calves, and my ankles had gotten very irritated too.

Use the search engine feature here at the site to look up key words you are interested in knowing more about. For example try 'inserts' and/or 'insoles' and you'll get a lot of good information. I am having good results with OTC (over the counter) 'Sof Soles' brand btw.

Best Regards, Kim B.

Laurie-Ann on 4/13/00 at 00:00 (018672)

You have found a fellow sufferer...the past two years I have had pain in heels that goes up into calf and it makes walking and especially standing horrible...write to me...we can share war stories!!! :)

Janine C. on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018820)

Thanks for all the responses. I'm in physical therapy now and they think I have a bone spur in the heel. I'm sure the doc will order an x-ray. The PT showed me a great stretch. If you have a step stool or even just a step in your home, hang the heel off the step and slowly stretch, holding for 30 seconds. Do this 10 times, 2 times per day. It has helped my calf a lot. Ice is really helping too and I do that twice a day or more if time permits. Just plain sitting instead of standing can help relieve the constant throbbing pain too. Well, I'll keep checking in here. Hope you all have success in healing. Thanks again.

Susan S on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018445)

Read Scott's Book and then try everything. Most here will vote against the shots. Personally, the effects were not long lasting and certainly not worth the pain. The shots don't make the PF go way, just the pain and just temporarily. I'd have to say the most effective treatment for me as fara s my calves has been stretching. You have definately found the best tool available when you found this site. Good Luck!!

KarenK on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018455)

If you are having trouble stretching, and don't feel the stretch in the calf but in the achilles, you are probably not going to do yourself any good trying to stretch on your own. Go to a good massage therapist who will do deep tissue massage to release the calf muscles. After that you should be able to keep the calves stretched out on your own.

Kim B. on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018541)

Hi Janine,

I too am having good success with massage therapy. Specifically Foot 'Reflexology'. But you need someone very skilled at it. This is no time to be a pratice dummy for someone who is learning their skill. My pain also had started shooting up my legs into my calves, and my ankles had gotten very irritated too.

Use the search engine feature here at the site to look up key words you are interested in knowing more about. For example try 'inserts' and/or 'insoles' and you'll get a lot of good information. I am having good results with OTC (over the counter) 'Sof Soles' brand btw.

Best Regards, Kim B.

Laurie-Ann on 4/13/00 at 00:00 (018672)

You have found a fellow sufferer...the past two years I have had pain in heels that goes up into calf and it makes walking and especially standing horrible...write to me...we can share war stories!!! :)

Janine C. on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018820)

Thanks for all the responses. I'm in physical therapy now and they think I have a bone spur in the heel. I'm sure the doc will order an x-ray. The PT showed me a great stretch. If you have a step stool or even just a step in your home, hang the heel off the step and slowly stretch, holding for 30 seconds. Do this 10 times, 2 times per day. It has helped my calf a lot. Ice is really helping too and I do that twice a day or more if time permits. Just plain sitting instead of standing can help relieve the constant throbbing pain too. Well, I'll keep checking in here. Hope you all have success in healing. Thanks again.