Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

stretching

Posted by ChrisO on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018417)

Hi Nancy -
Tell me more about that stretching - I know I've had some success with a 'held' stretch, but I'm still curious about your style....

Re: stretching

Sandra Z on 6/28/99 at 00:00 (008294)

My physical therapist told me that stretching too aggressively can reinjure the fascia. I was severely inflammed when I saw her; at first she told me to only point and flex my toes, do ankle circles and write the ABCs in the air with my toes. She also told me to wear a shoe with a slight heel that first week, to keep pressure off the fascia. Next I progressed to sitting stretches with a band: putting the band (or belt or towel or whatever) around the ball of the foot, and sitting in a V, and pulling my foot towards your body. Later I progressed to the standing stretches against the wall--she said stretching with all your weight on your heel can be too aggressive at first. After I could do this, I progressed to standing on the edge of a stair, raising up on my toes and then slowly dropping my heels below the stair. This was a slow program, but it seems to have worked for me. You might also want to try massage on your feet and calves (you can do it yourself) to loosen the tendons after you stretch. Good luck!

Sandra Z on 6/28/99 at 00:00 (008294)

My physical therapist told me that stretching too aggressively can reinjure the fascia. I was severely inflammed when I saw her; at first she told me to only point and flex my toes, do ankle circles and write the ABCs in the air with my toes. She also told me to wear a shoe with a slight heel that first week, to keep pressure off the fascia. Next I progressed to sitting stretches with a band: putting the band (or belt or towel or whatever) around the ball of the foot, and sitting in a V, and pulling my foot towards your body. Later I progressed to the standing stretches against the wall--she said stretching with all your weight on your heel can be too aggressive at first. After I could do this, I progressed to standing on the edge of a stair, raising up on my toes and then slowly dropping my heels below the stair. This was a slow program, but it seems to have worked for me. You might also want to try massage on your feet and calves (you can do it yourself) to loosen the tendons after you stretch. Good luck!

Rick R on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018211)

Could this be another indication that stretching the Plantar Fascia or PF length and flexibility is less related to calf flexibility than generally suggested? Could be his

Bob G. on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018237)

I don't think this is an indication of anything. John, your description of a tight banjo string is incongruent. What key are we playing in?

alan k on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018244)

Note that the relaxation of micro-spasms in the muscles and the degree of elasticity is the key here, not muscle length. I have long calf muscles and can really flex. Putting a incline board to step on does nothing to me even at extreme angles, because my muscles are long. Perhaps this guy has short, but healthy muscles.

alan k

Nancy S. on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018419)

Hi ChrisO, Credit alan k, who suggested this to me. I'd been on serious rest for 3 months and then, like an idiot, decided to try to increase everything all at once. That included the lean-against-the-wall stretch, which I had been doing all along, gently. When I increased it, I increased everything: the number of times I did it per day, the number of stretches I did each time, and how long I held the stretch (the increase brought me up to holding it for about 15-20 seconds). I found that this, along with a couple of other bright ideas I had, began to cause more pain again in the fascia. So Alan suggested stretching according to Thai principles -- to stretch the calves consistently but with great moderation, involving no holding of the stretch. When leaning against the wall, bend the other knee just to the point where you feel the stretch in the opposite calf, and then back off. I find that right now it is best for me to do this on each leg for 6 times in a row (my calves have been very tight because of my rest), three separate sessions a day. Apparently this is supposed to affect the fascia also, indirectly -- anyway, it is definitely good for my situation. Before this, first thing before getting out of bed, I do what you do -- calf stretch with legs in air (and a few other things I'm trying to think of as games to keep my mind off the bathroom, where I Really want to be). You may be beyond needing to be this mild, I don't know -- but since the brief stretch apparently prevents a subsequent contraction reaction, maybe it's good for all time! (Alan, jump in here if you want to add more.) I for one am not sick of hearing about your 'little program,' Chris -- have been back to read it a few times, and am trying to figure out how much to do without going overboard --how to do it gradually enough for my now oh so delicate legs and feet and not wreck the progress from the rest. For example, with the marbles, I just can't imagine picking up 50 marbles right now! Maybe one this week, two next week! But I will probably continue to rely mostly on swimming for strengthening. It feels very safe but effective. --Nancy

Rick R on 4/03/00 at 00:00 (018211)

Could this be another indication that stretching the Plantar Fascia or PF length and flexibility is less related to calf flexibility than generally suggested? Could be his

Bob G. on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018237)

I don't think this is an indication of anything. John, your description of a tight banjo string is incongruent. What key are we playing in?

alan k on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018244)

Note that the relaxation of micro-spasms in the muscles and the degree of elasticity is the key here, not muscle length. I have long calf muscles and can really flex. Putting a incline board to step on does nothing to me even at extreme angles, because my muscles are long. Perhaps this guy has short, but healthy muscles.

alan k

Nancy S. on 4/06/00 at 00:00 (018419)

Hi ChrisO, Credit alan k, who suggested this to me. I'd been on serious rest for 3 months and then, like an idiot, decided to try to increase everything all at once. That included the lean-against-the-wall stretch, which I had been doing all along, gently. When I increased it, I increased everything: the number of times I did it per day, the number of stretches I did each time, and how long I held the stretch (the increase brought me up to holding it for about 15-20 seconds). I found that this, along with a couple of other bright ideas I had, began to cause more pain again in the fascia. So Alan suggested stretching according to Thai principles -- to stretch the calves consistently but with great moderation, involving no holding of the stretch. When leaning against the wall, bend the other knee just to the point where you feel the stretch in the opposite calf, and then back off. I find that right now it is best for me to do this on each leg for 6 times in a row (my calves have been very tight because of my rest), three separate sessions a day. Apparently this is supposed to affect the fascia also, indirectly -- anyway, it is definitely good for my situation. Before this, first thing before getting out of bed, I do what you do -- calf stretch with legs in air (and a few other things I'm trying to think of as games to keep my mind off the bathroom, where I Really want to be). You may be beyond needing to be this mild, I don't know -- but since the brief stretch apparently prevents a subsequent contraction reaction, maybe it's good for all time! (Alan, jump in here if you want to add more.) I for one am not sick of hearing about your 'little program,' Chris -- have been back to read it a few times, and am trying to figure out how much to do without going overboard --how to do it gradually enough for my now oh so delicate legs and feet and not wreck the progress from the rest. For example, with the marbles, I just can't imagine picking up 50 marbles right now! Maybe one this week, two next week! But I will probably continue to rely mostly on swimming for strengthening. It feels very safe but effective. --Nancy

Kim B. on 8/03/00 at 21:08 (024604)

Bev,

I know exactly what you mean. I have been stretching my PF and calves in moderation for a long time, however, today is the first time I have done serious neck stretches and/or therapies in at least 5 years. I can feel a little stretching soreness in some of the neck areas. But it is probably a good kind of sore, not the bad kind of sore. Go ahead, stretch and exercise in moderation. You know to take if very slowly. Let me know if you go for the PFT. I'm still trying to decide.

Regards, Kim B.

alan k on 8/04/00 at 09:13 (024605)

Kim I know I've been leading you and others on, but this time we really are going to have our product out soon. It is just a question of how long to get the website up: the web host said 'can take up to ten days.' I don't know if that means it will take ten days or up to ten days, but there will be two products now to choose from. I am not going to argue the merits here because people will get annoyed, but just announce a choice.

Perhaps I'll e-mail scott and ask if I can borrow a page on his site for about ten days so that people can order right now if they want.

yours,
alan

Rock on 8/04/00 at 17:05 (024606)

Alan K.,

You can get a free 35MB site right now on http://www.bizland.com

Rock.

Kim B. on 8/03/00 at 21:08 (024604)

Bev,

I know exactly what you mean. I have been stretching my PF and calves in moderation for a long time, however, today is the first time I have done serious neck stretches and/or therapies in at least 5 years. I can feel a little stretching soreness in some of the neck areas. But it is probably a good kind of sore, not the bad kind of sore. Go ahead, stretch and exercise in moderation. You know to take if very slowly. Let me know if you go for the PFT. I'm still trying to decide.

Regards, Kim B.

alan k on 8/04/00 at 09:13 (024605)

Kim I know I've been leading you and others on, but this time we really are going to have our product out soon. It is just a question of how long to get the website up: the web host said 'can take up to ten days.' I don't know if that means it will take ten days or up to ten days, but there will be two products now to choose from. I am not going to argue the merits here because people will get annoyed, but just announce a choice.

Perhaps I'll e-mail scott and ask if I can borrow a page on his site for about ten days so that people can order right now if they want.

yours,
alan

Rock on 8/04/00 at 17:05 (024606)

Alan K.,

You can get a free 35MB site right now on http://www.bizland.com

Rock.