Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: about bromelain

Posted by Robin B. on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018437)

Hi Nancy --

I always have decaf coffee or something swishing around in my stomach, so I would have to guess it's okay to take bromelain with tea. I hope you have some luck with it -- it is really wonderful when you can find something that gives you major relief.

I think old Hop-a-long will have to do without my message -- it was kind of long and same old thing -- Birks, bromelain, rest, aerobic non-weight bearing exercise, plus low -carb. I'm sure he or she will find lots of that upon really digging into this message board. Good luck with the bromelain, Nancy. Keep us all posted.

Nancy S. on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018438)

Good morning, Robin -- good good good, it was bad enough to give up coffee years ago, and then decaf and my nightly two glasses of wine for the candida diet -- I'm just not in the mood to stop sipping Anything. I will probably always continue with pau d'arco, but one day soon I'm going to try going back to decaf coffee also.
I've been taking the bromelain faithfully since March 30 -- same dose as you, and sometimes 4 instead of 3 pills a day. The Thai-style calf stretch has been helping, and every day is seeming a bit better again -- and it could be that the bromelain is starting to kick in too. It will probably be another week or two before I can really tell. Will definitely post about it. Thanks --Nancy

Kim B. on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018460)

I can't find the book that I learned this from, so I am reciting from memory.

Bromelain is a digestive enzyme derived from pinapple. When taken WITH protien (foods) it acts as a digestive aid. (In my experience, it seemed to add bulk and helped keep me regular, if you know what I mean.)

When it is taken WITHOUT or apart from protein (foods) it provides anti-inflammatory properites. So, if memory serves me, the issue is whether you take it with potiens or not. That is what determines what it will do in your system. Either way, you benefit from bromelain, it's just different results.

I used to take the 'Ultra Bromelain' by Natures Sunshine which is 1500 mg strong. I have a sensitive stomach even at this strong dose, it never gave me any problem, regardless of whether I took it with or without food. Of course, everyone's tummy is different.

Hope this helps, if I track down the book that explains this more scientifically, I will let you know, but for now, this is what I remember about how bromelain works.

Regards, Kim B.

Nancy S. on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018474)

Thank you, Kim, I think that clears up the liquids question -- no proteins in my tea, nor in Robin's decaf I'm sure. When I asked the guy at the health food store to show me the bromelain, he did, but also said, 'You know, we have fresh pineapple right over there.' I just said Uh huh -- get tired of explaining PF and why I'm doing whatever I'm doing whenever I'm doing it out there in the real world.

For all those interested in bromelain results, this morning I tripped over one of the cats who was overeager for breakfast. And it was quite a trip -- my PF foot came out of my Birk and my heel landed quite hard half on the edge of the Birk and half on the floor; the rest of me hit the wall. This is a maneuver that I fully expected to end in heel pain -- and it didn't! It seems fine, as if the trip never happened. I can't help wondering if the bromelain prevented a pain reaction . . .

--Nancy

Nancy S. on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018438)

Good morning, Robin -- good good good, it was bad enough to give up coffee years ago, and then decaf and my nightly two glasses of wine for the candida diet -- I'm just not in the mood to stop sipping Anything. I will probably always continue with pau d'arco, but one day soon I'm going to try going back to decaf coffee also.
I've been taking the bromelain faithfully since March 30 -- same dose as you, and sometimes 4 instead of 3 pills a day. The Thai-style calf stretch has been helping, and every day is seeming a bit better again -- and it could be that the bromelain is starting to kick in too. It will probably be another week or two before I can really tell. Will definitely post about it. Thanks --Nancy

Kim B. on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018460)

I can't find the book that I learned this from, so I am reciting from memory.

Bromelain is a digestive enzyme derived from pinapple. When taken WITH protien (foods) it acts as a digestive aid. (In my experience, it seemed to add bulk and helped keep me regular, if you know what I mean.)

When it is taken WITHOUT or apart from protein (foods) it provides anti-inflammatory properites. So, if memory serves me, the issue is whether you take it with potiens or not. That is what determines what it will do in your system. Either way, you benefit from bromelain, it's just different results.

I used to take the 'Ultra Bromelain' by Natures Sunshine which is 1500 mg strong. I have a sensitive stomach even at this strong dose, it never gave me any problem, regardless of whether I took it with or without food. Of course, everyone's tummy is different.

Hope this helps, if I track down the book that explains this more scientifically, I will let you know, but for now, this is what I remember about how bromelain works.

Regards, Kim B.

Nancy S. on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018474)

Thank you, Kim, I think that clears up the liquids question -- no proteins in my tea, nor in Robin's decaf I'm sure. When I asked the guy at the health food store to show me the bromelain, he did, but also said, 'You know, we have fresh pineapple right over there.' I just said Uh huh -- get tired of explaining PF and why I'm doing whatever I'm doing whenever I'm doing it out there in the real world.

For all those interested in bromelain results, this morning I tripped over one of the cats who was overeager for breakfast. And it was quite a trip -- my PF foot came out of my Birk and my heel landed quite hard half on the edge of the Birk and half on the floor; the rest of me hit the wall. This is a maneuver that I fully expected to end in heel pain -- and it didn't! It seems fine, as if the trip never happened. I can't help wondering if the bromelain prevented a pain reaction . . .

--Nancy