Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Active Release Therapy-2nd Session today (long)

Posted by PattyS on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018452)

One thing I have learned from my 3 months of reading this board is that there is not one solution to PF that works for everyone. That said, I went to see Dr. Leahy in CA today for my 2nd session (out of 6). I can't tell you how much better my foot is feeling. 1st session was Wed (4/5). foot felt really good afterward. Thurs am I did not do my in bed stretching routine and got right up and took a few steps (virtually pain free) before putting on my Birks. Foot felt really good all day until about 6pm when it started to ache. Went back this am (Fri, 4/7). It seems a little more painful than the first time, but again my foot feels great. We'll see how well I make it through the weekend! I asked him 2 interesting questions. First on a scale of 1-10 how severe would he say my PF was. Now, I had thought to myself 3, and he said 4 so I guess that would mean that like I thought my case was not as severe as many who post here. Then my husband (the skeptic) had me ask how many people he has seen, and how many were helped. He said he has seen around 100 and that there have only been 2 he has not been able to help. I feel optimistic about this treatment for me. patty

Re: Active Release Therapy-2nd Session today (long)

Nancy S. on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018454)

Patty, sounds good so far! That's great -- your level of depression about this must have decreased greatly since you last mentioned it only a short time ago. I'm following your ART posts. Can you describe what goes on in your sessions? I'd like to know, for future possibilities. Thank you --Nancy

PattyS on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018458)

Nancy,
You are right about the depression. I am feeling much better this week. Your kind words last week were very helpful, as it the decrease in my discomfort/increase in my outlook for returning to 'normal'. The ART takes about 5-10 min. I will time it next session but it is pretty quick. He rubs a cream on the bottom of my foot and then runs his thumb (I think) from heel to toe. I am on my stomach so it is hard to be sure exactly. he seems to increase the pressure with each pass. Then I flip onto my back and he manipulates my foot in a circular motion, which feels pretty good. If you search the board under Dr. Leahy you will find posts by Ruth which I think describe it better than I am. I have been communicating with her by e-mail for the past week and her feeling is that ART is not as successful when performed by doctors other than Leahy in CA and his brother in Colorado. I am fortunate to live nearby. patty

Sherman on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018461)

PattyS, I couldn't believe it when I got on this site today all the messages about massages, etc. I have my PF surgery planned for the end of May. A lady called me last night when she heard I was having surgery to try her chiropractor. I feel I need to try one last thing before surgery. I called him and he said in most cases he does massage for this and not acupuncture. I'm going to give it a try. Earliest I could get an appt. was for next Fri. What I really wanted to know is how bad was your pain before your first treatment. Every step I take hurts but, obviously, it hurts more at times than others.I've quit tennis and taking walks. I can wear 2 pairs of shoes, athletic and aerosoles, with orthotics and never go barefoot. Basically, my foot hurts all the time. Looking forward to hearing about your future treatments.

PattyS on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018462)

Sherman,
My foot bothered me most first thing in the morning and after I had been sitting for a long time. I had been walking 3.5 miles 3x a week, but had to give that up in Jan. Hoping to get back to that soon. A lot has been said on this board about Birks and I always feel like my feet are happiest when I am in them. I tried a pair last year and hated them, but tired again this Feb and have been wearing them exclusively since then. I think it is worth taking a chance with the chiro before your surgery as it is a non-invasive process I think you have nothing to lose. patty

Nancy S. on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018478)

Patty, I'm glad you're feeling so much better, in every way. ART sounds like a very fine tuned, specific procedure. I see Ruth posted a lot about it this morning too. Maybe it will help a lot of people west of me -- I'm in Maine and in debt, so I can't get out there. But more progress seems to be happening here, so maybe I'll be ok.
--Nancy

john h on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018535)

living in maine & in debt! add to that pf nancy and life is tough. i at one time flew in out of bangor. tough country-tough people. pf should be a 'walk in the park' for you. (like my pun?)

Nancy S. on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018454)

Patty, sounds good so far! That's great -- your level of depression about this must have decreased greatly since you last mentioned it only a short time ago. I'm following your ART posts. Can you describe what goes on in your sessions? I'd like to know, for future possibilities. Thank you --Nancy

PattyS on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018458)

Nancy,
You are right about the depression. I am feeling much better this week. Your kind words last week were very helpful, as it the decrease in my discomfort/increase in my outlook for returning to 'normal'. The ART takes about 5-10 min. I will time it next session but it is pretty quick. He rubs a cream on the bottom of my foot and then runs his thumb (I think) from heel to toe. I am on my stomach so it is hard to be sure exactly. he seems to increase the pressure with each pass. Then I flip onto my back and he manipulates my foot in a circular motion, which feels pretty good. If you search the board under Dr. Leahy you will find posts by Ruth which I think describe it better than I am. I have been communicating with her by e-mail for the past week and her feeling is that ART is not as successful when performed by doctors other than Leahy in CA and his brother in Colorado. I am fortunate to live nearby. patty

Sherman on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018461)

PattyS, I couldn't believe it when I got on this site today all the messages about massages, etc. I have my PF surgery planned for the end of May. A lady called me last night when she heard I was having surgery to try her chiropractor. I feel I need to try one last thing before surgery. I called him and he said in most cases he does massage for this and not acupuncture. I'm going to give it a try. Earliest I could get an appt. was for next Fri. What I really wanted to know is how bad was your pain before your first treatment. Every step I take hurts but, obviously, it hurts more at times than others.I've quit tennis and taking walks. I can wear 2 pairs of shoes, athletic and aerosoles, with orthotics and never go barefoot. Basically, my foot hurts all the time. Looking forward to hearing about your future treatments.

PattyS on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018462)

Sherman,
My foot bothered me most first thing in the morning and after I had been sitting for a long time. I had been walking 3.5 miles 3x a week, but had to give that up in Jan. Hoping to get back to that soon. A lot has been said on this board about Birks and I always feel like my feet are happiest when I am in them. I tried a pair last year and hated them, but tired again this Feb and have been wearing them exclusively since then. I think it is worth taking a chance with the chiro before your surgery as it is a non-invasive process I think you have nothing to lose. patty

Nancy S. on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018478)

Patty, I'm glad you're feeling so much better, in every way. ART sounds like a very fine tuned, specific procedure. I see Ruth posted a lot about it this morning too. Maybe it will help a lot of people west of me -- I'm in Maine and in debt, so I can't get out there. But more progress seems to be happening here, so maybe I'll be ok.
--Nancy

john h on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018535)

living in maine & in debt! add to that pf nancy and life is tough. i at one time flew in out of bangor. tough country-tough people. pf should be a 'walk in the park' for you. (like my pun?)