Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Importance of a Correct Diagnosis

Posted by Beth D. on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018463)

Hi all,

Last May my right foot was numbing, tingling, hurting all the time. Driving was out of the question as was any unnecessary walking or standing-never mind exercise. I went to the local podiatrist-diagnosed tarsal tunnel and Pf (bilateral). Went for more opinions, found this site, and for six months stretched and rested my feet (did bike). Got Birks-felt ok, but my right foot cramped up due to the toe bar. It's now March of 2000-9 months later. I get very aggressive and go to the podiatrist I felt was the most competent and got a cortizone shot in my right heel-did nothing. I then decide to get the ossatron and schedule an MRI to confirm a thick fascia. Guess what-I don't have plantar fasciitis or tarsal tunnel. I have posterior tibial tendonitis. I am very, very upset at not having an MRI done last year.

Please, if you don't have the classic first step pain, get an MRI to make sure you've got pf. My symptoms were not classic and I wish I'd have been more insistant sooner.

Right now I'm at a loss as to what to do. It's probably a chronic disease by now. I hate the doctors I've worked with because they didn't figure out what was wrong with my foot. I'm in charge, but I don't know what to do! Hope you don't mind if I stick around here though.

Beth D.

Re: Importance of a Correct Diagnosis

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018467)

You are right the a correct dx is very important,however it could be that you had both pf, and pt tendonitis. All of the lower extremity tendon and range of motion should be evalutated at every foot and ankle problem. I dx PT tendon with an examination and not just a mri

Trish on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018470)

What are the symptoms of pt tendonitis? Who knows, maybe I've been diagnosed incorrectly for 8 yrs.!

Nancy S. on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018476)

Hi Trish -- Did your Sonorex treaters not confirm your PF diagnosis? Are they not supposed to do that before ESWT treatment? I'm sorry you've not found relief yet -- I hope it improves for you. --Nancy

Beth D. on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018477)

Hi Trish,

The symptoms of my pt tendonitis are: pain when weight bearing-standing, walking. My foot started burning, feeling numb, feeling like prickles were all on the bottom. If I walk a lot the numbing returns. Birks did seem to help-your arch is falling as the tendon weakens and tears. If it's too late, I'll have to have surgery for the tendon. I think I overstretched too. Be Careful!

Beth

Trish on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018488)

The Dr. who approved me for Sonorex confirmed the PF diagnosis but mainly by me telling him I've had it for 8 yrs....He pushed on my foot where it hurts, which confirmed that YES it does hurt there; that's as far as his examination went. I had an MRI a few yrs. ago which showed nothing, and the Dr. who ordered that said that it's typical for PF NOT to show up on an MRI, but wanted to me to have an MRI to rule out any other possibilities. So......the reason I question the diagnosis is that after 8 yrs., none of the many treatments for PF have given me lasting relief. Also I don't have big pain with the first steps in the morning, although it usually hurts before I've even stood on it. It gets worse as the day goes on.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018467)

You are right the a correct dx is very important,however it could be that you had both pf, and pt tendonitis. All of the lower extremity tendon and range of motion should be evalutated at every foot and ankle problem. I dx PT tendon with an examination and not just a mri

Trish on 4/07/00 at 00:00 (018470)

What are the symptoms of pt tendonitis? Who knows, maybe I've been diagnosed incorrectly for 8 yrs.!

Nancy S. on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018476)

Hi Trish -- Did your Sonorex treaters not confirm your PF diagnosis? Are they not supposed to do that before ESWT treatment? I'm sorry you've not found relief yet -- I hope it improves for you. --Nancy

Beth D. on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018477)

Hi Trish,

The symptoms of my pt tendonitis are: pain when weight bearing-standing, walking. My foot started burning, feeling numb, feeling like prickles were all on the bottom. If I walk a lot the numbing returns. Birks did seem to help-your arch is falling as the tendon weakens and tears. If it's too late, I'll have to have surgery for the tendon. I think I overstretched too. Be Careful!

Beth

Trish on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018488)

The Dr. who approved me for Sonorex confirmed the PF diagnosis but mainly by me telling him I've had it for 8 yrs....He pushed on my foot where it hurts, which confirmed that YES it does hurt there; that's as far as his examination went. I had an MRI a few yrs. ago which showed nothing, and the Dr. who ordered that said that it's typical for PF NOT to show up on an MRI, but wanted to me to have an MRI to rule out any other possibilities. So......the reason I question the diagnosis is that after 8 yrs., none of the many treatments for PF have given me lasting relief. Also I don't have big pain with the first steps in the morning, although it usually hurts before I've even stood on it. It gets worse as the day goes on.