Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Active Release Therapy

Posted by Ruth M on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018472)

Patty S e-mailed me this week to ask about Dr. Leahy and I certainly encouraged her to go, as you all know from her excellent reports. If you want to know more about ART, my messages are somewhere in the list, Patty said in 1998. They're detailed and worth reading if you are interested.

Let me tell you what I know about ART and the Leahy brothers. The Leahys are twins and both are chiropractors; Joe is in the San Jose, CA area and Mike is in Denver. Between them, they developed the ART procedure, which is used to allievate any repetitive stress syndrome such as PF, carpal tunnel, and TMJ. Parenthetically, I have sent some people to Joe for carpal tunnel and it has worked; I myself have a different kind of repetitive injury in my hand and he fixed it in one session.

Joe and Mike give training in ART and apparently have 'trained' many chiropractors. I have used parentheses around trained because my assumption is that when people are trained they can actually do what they were trained to do. This seems not to be the case unfortunately with the Leahy trainees. That doesn't mean they are ALL unable to do ART, simply that those that have been reported here or to me directly have not been effective.

May I suggest to anyone reading this who has tried ART with a different chiropractor to report here who and how effective/ineffective. There's no point in getting one's hopes up if the doc is known to be ineffective.

My recommendation is that if you can get to either the San Jose or Denver area, it is worth trying. If you want to try a Leahy trained chiropractor in your area, assuming there is one, call Mike at (719) 473-7000, he has a list of all the people they've trained. Joe Leahy's telephone number is (408) 358-7900.

If you just go to a chiropractor you will probably get massage, as has been described in previous messages. I would guess that its effectiveness lies in whatever breaking up occurs in the scar tissue. To the extent that it allievates your pain, great, but it is not the same thing as ART.

I had had weeks of ultrasound, cortizone shots, and tried using a night splint. I was in constant pain, extremely despressed, and spent a great deal of time crying and feeling sorry for myself. I had gone to see Dr. Leahy because walking funny had thrown my back out. When I limped in I told him I had PF and he said he could fix it. I never asked him how severe my PF was but when I went in there I couldn't get my heel down and was walking on the toes of that foot. After that first session the pain was gone and I was able to walk normally.

Especially for those of you who are considering surgery, if there is any way you can see one of the Leahys, you owe it to yourself to try before you submit to an irreversable procedure that doesn't always work and might make things worse.

I hope this will help some of you and wish you all the best of luck.

Re: Active Release Therapy

john h on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018518)

make sure you do not have TTS if you go for active release thearpy. vigorus manipulation of the tarsal tunnel area can do damage if you have TTS.

Re: Active Release Therapy

john h on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018518)

make sure you do not have TTS if you go for active release thearpy. vigorus manipulation of the tarsal tunnel area can do damage if you have TTS.