Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Going to Europe to visit the ESWT doctors

Posted by Dr. Zuckerman on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018494)

I am leaving on Monday 04-10-00 to visit some of the european doctors that have been using ESWT for a long time. I willreport back to you anything that I have learned. Looking for any tricks of the trade.
posted to the eswt board

Re: Going to Europe to visit the ESWT doctors

Rob on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018507)

Hello Dr. Zuckerman. I will also be leaving for Germany to train under some doctors there for new IDE studies. I hope we both get a greater understanding about this technology and that it will help you and your patients. Have a wonderful time.
posted to the eswt board

David L on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018521)

A few things that you may want to find out more on:
1. Differences between higher vs. lower energy ESWT
2. Efficacy with/without anesthesia
3. In treatments where no anesthesia is required, why would you use imaging such as fluoroscpy or ultrasound.

Have a great trip and I look forward to your thoughts upon your return.
Regards,
David
posted to the eswt board

Trish on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018529)

Can you find out more about the LONG term results......i.e. 5 to 10 years later, how are patients doing? Do they require another set of treatments at some point, or does the pain stay away that long? Have a good trip!
posted to the eswt board

Rob on 4/10/00 at 00:00 (018546)

In my discussions with the europeans, they tell me that it is rare to use high energy treatments because they try to eliminate the cost of anesthesia so they use low energy when it can be applied. When they do use high energy treatments it is for diseases that you would not normally do with low energy shock waves because of the success rates so they cannot be compared like apples to apples. You use imaging such as fluoroscopy to visualize areas such as calcium deposits or other radiopaque pathologies so you can localize F2 more accurately. Ultrasound is used for soft tissue pathologies so that you can place F2 at the center of the area being treated and also to see how extensive the in-flamed tissue is.
posted to the eswt board

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/10/00 at 00:00 (018547)

This is my last comment before I start to pack. It is my understanding that high energy gives a much better result in the long run. Why would the cost of a local anesthetic be a factor when one
50cc bottle of lidocaine plain costs lest then one dollor , which would allow to use one bottle on five to ten patients. Lidocaine is very cheap. If you are using a general or IV then the cost is much different.
posted to the eswt board

Rob on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018507)

Hello Dr. Zuckerman. I will also be leaving for Germany to train under some doctors there for new IDE studies. I hope we both get a greater understanding about this technology and that it will help you and your patients. Have a wonderful time.
posted to the eswt board

David L on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018521)

A few things that you may want to find out more on:
1. Differences between higher vs. lower energy ESWT
2. Efficacy with/without anesthesia
3. In treatments where no anesthesia is required, why would you use imaging such as fluoroscpy or ultrasound.

Have a great trip and I look forward to your thoughts upon your return.
Regards,
David
posted to the eswt board

Trish on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018529)

Can you find out more about the LONG term results......i.e. 5 to 10 years later, how are patients doing? Do they require another set of treatments at some point, or does the pain stay away that long? Have a good trip!
posted to the eswt board

Rob on 4/10/00 at 00:00 (018546)

In my discussions with the europeans, they tell me that it is rare to use high energy treatments because they try to eliminate the cost of anesthesia so they use low energy when it can be applied. When they do use high energy treatments it is for diseases that you would not normally do with low energy shock waves because of the success rates so they cannot be compared like apples to apples. You use imaging such as fluoroscopy to visualize areas such as calcium deposits or other radiopaque pathologies so you can localize F2 more accurately. Ultrasound is used for soft tissue pathologies so that you can place F2 at the center of the area being treated and also to see how extensive the in-flamed tissue is.
posted to the eswt board

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/10/00 at 00:00 (018547)

This is my last comment before I start to pack. It is my understanding that high energy gives a much better result in the long run. Why would the cost of a local anesthetic be a factor when one
50cc bottle of lidocaine plain costs lest then one dollor , which would allow to use one bottle on five to ten patients. Lidocaine is very cheap. If you are using a general or IV then the cost is much different.
posted to the eswt board