Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Not too sure

Posted by Pat M on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018498)

I have been reading many of your postings and I think that you guys can give me some help. I am a school teacher and until this year I have taught in a classroom with carpeted floors. I switched grade levels and floors.(tiled) About a month after school began I felt what I thought was a stone bruise on the heel of my left foot but it never went away. For about two months now I have noticed pain when I get out of bed each morning and now I can barely stand by the end of the school day. I had surgery on my back 5 years ago for a ruptured disc and ever since my calf muscles are very tight and cramp often, so I'm not sure if what I am feeling is PF or not. The pain is now radiating up to my ankle by the afternoon. I know you are not doctors, but what do you think? Should I see a doctor now? Do I wait and see if it gets better? I'm not sure. I certainly don't seem to have the problems that most of you do, but I don't want it to turn into that. By the way, I am 41 and slightly overweight, too. (I'm changing that with a low carb diet though, 15lbs lost already)
Any help is appreciated. Gee I hope this is too long, but I need help.

Re: Not too sure Re Pat

Laurie R on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018502)

Hello Pat,
What do you mean you certainly don't seem to have the problems most of us have? We are not that bad.He He He......Ok If I were you I would go to a good Podiatrist and get diagnosed so you will know for sure what is wrong with you,than you can start treatment right away in the mean time I would wear good shoes and ice and try to rest when you are in pain.Also read Scott's PF book ,you will find it at the top of this page.My very best to you. Laurie R

Re: Not too sure

Nancy S. on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018503)

Hi Pat -- Yes, I think you should definitely see a doctor now. Don't wait to see if it gets better -- you've had it long enough, and the sooner you get into treatment the better. It certainly sounds like PF -- and sometimes the compensating one tries to do when having PF pain can lead to other problems (such as, possibly, the pain you're having in your ankles). So do get to a doctor -- and keep reading this site, which is at least as good as, and sometimes better than, a doctor. In the meantime, rest your feet as much as possible -- they are injured. Can you sit down in the classroom, more than you normally would? If so, go for it. REST IS IMPORTANT. I didn't try to rest for months, and I really regret that now. When you get to a doctor, ask about getting a night splint to help with that morning pain; ask about proper supportive shoes; ask about stretching and icing. And if the doctor just wants to give you a cortisone shot and see you in six weeks, well, find another doctor! Act now, Pat, and let us know how you're doing. Good luck to you --Nancy S. P.S. No apologies needed for a long post (yours wasn't that long) -- Scott prefers one long post as opposed to a lot of short posts.

Pat M on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018504)

Thanks for the comments. It may be just what I need to spur me on. It would be really wonderful to sit more, but with 2nd graders it's kind of tough. Hopefully I can find someone who will do it right. I've been reading a lot of these postings and have seen some horror stories, I would like to get it right the first time. I didn't mean to sound like you all sounded all crippled up, it's just that my symptoms seem to pale in comparison. Thanks again. I look forward to hearing from more of you. You seem like a very interesting group.

Nancy S. on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018505)

Pat, that's ok -- if some of people on here sound in bad shape, usually it's because we waited too long to see a doctor and/or didn't get active soon enough in our treatment by following advice on this site (Laurie is right, be sure to read Scott's PF Book, if you haven't already). If you can't rest much, at least be sure you have good shoes -- I meant to say this before. Birkenstocks have helped many (me included), and you'll find many other recommendations if you do a 'shoes' search from the top of this page. Good shoes are at least as important as rest, and it's something you can do for yourself while waiting for that doctor appt. Good luck again --Nancy S.

SuzanneK on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018506)

Pat, I am a 3rd grade teacher. They took the carpet out of my classrom this summer and now I have tile floors. The carpet wasn't much, only a commercial grade with no pad glued to the slab, but I wonder if it wasn't just enough cushion. I went to a podiatrist after having pain for a month and still haven't resolved it completely. You are right - it is very hard to sit with the little ones in the classroom. I did go to my principal and tell her what was going on, so that if she comes in, she'll know why I'm sitting. Read up here as much as possible and go to a doctor as soon as you can. Good luck!

Bob G. on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018509)

Hi, Pat! Welcome aboard, you sound like one of us. If you can, study this Board and follow conversations you can relate to. There is much to study and learn on this web site, all the products, messages and so on.

Getting a good foot doctor for proper diagnosis is important. Be careful and hopefully get references you can trust; your own family doctor may know who's good. I think you'll make it; good luck!

FWS on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018511)

I too am a teacher, and my initial symptoms were similar yours, eg., heel pain when I got up and increasing pain the longer I was on my feet. I tried 3 doctors before I found the right one. My simple advice - find a good podiatrist. By this I mean a doctor who is a good listener and who is willing to try a variety of treatments until you jointly discover what helps you. I find we are all different and what works for one person may not work for another.

Based on my experience and the experience of others, I would avoid cortisone shots, which don't seem to work and surgery, which should be considered only as a last resort.

Best of luck.

caryne on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018516)

I too am a teacher...I used to have carpet but transferred and now I'm on tile and I'm sitting here resting because I had surgery on the 30th of this month for pf in my right heel. I've always thought it was the change in floor that hurt me...I had always been a big-time walker and no problems until I switched to a tile floor. I mean the 30th of March...sorry One other question...if you've had surgery how long did you need crutches..I've got a hard cast on and have had it since surgery hopefully he'll remove on the 14th..next visit

Laurie R on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018520)

I agree with FWS I hope you can find a doctor that will listen to you and make you part of your treatment their are doctors out their like that we just need to find them I like FWS found the right doctor (podiatrist) It did take some time and I am one of those difficult cases I have PF and TTS but with the right treatment I do hope to better soon I think I am on the right track.The most important thing is to rest rest rest,I know it is hard boy do I know it is hard but it does help.Please keep us posted my very best to you.....Laurie R

Pat M on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018539)

I've not had surgery on my foot. I hope I can get through this without it. I just know I'm going to go to the doctor and he/she will say that there is nothing wrong and all the pain will go away. O.K. so I'm a dreamer sometimes. Hope your surgery works.

Laurie R on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018502)

Hello Pat,
What do you mean you certainly don't seem to have the problems most of us have? We are not that bad.He He He......Ok If I were you I would go to a good Podiatrist and get diagnosed so you will know for sure what is wrong with you,than you can start treatment right away in the mean time I would wear good shoes and ice and try to rest when you are in pain.Also read Scott's PF book ,you will find it at the top of this page.My very best to you. Laurie R

Nancy S. on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018503)

Hi Pat -- Yes, I think you should definitely see a doctor now. Don't wait to see if it gets better -- you've had it long enough, and the sooner you get into treatment the better. It certainly sounds like PF -- and sometimes the compensating one tries to do when having PF pain can lead to other problems (such as, possibly, the pain you're having in your ankles). So do get to a doctor -- and keep reading this site, which is at least as good as, and sometimes better than, a doctor. In the meantime, rest your feet as much as possible -- they are injured. Can you sit down in the classroom, more than you normally would? If so, go for it. REST IS IMPORTANT. I didn't try to rest for months, and I really regret that now. When you get to a doctor, ask about getting a night splint to help with that morning pain; ask about proper supportive shoes; ask about stretching and icing. And if the doctor just wants to give you a cortisone shot and see you in six weeks, well, find another doctor! Act now, Pat, and let us know how you're doing. Good luck to you --Nancy S. P.S. No apologies needed for a long post (yours wasn't that long) -- Scott prefers one long post as opposed to a lot of short posts.

Pat M on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018504)

Thanks for the comments. It may be just what I need to spur me on. It would be really wonderful to sit more, but with 2nd graders it's kind of tough. Hopefully I can find someone who will do it right. I've been reading a lot of these postings and have seen some horror stories, I would like to get it right the first time. I didn't mean to sound like you all sounded all crippled up, it's just that my symptoms seem to pale in comparison. Thanks again. I look forward to hearing from more of you. You seem like a very interesting group.

Nancy S. on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018505)

Pat, that's ok -- if some of people on here sound in bad shape, usually it's because we waited too long to see a doctor and/or didn't get active soon enough in our treatment by following advice on this site (Laurie is right, be sure to read Scott's PF Book, if you haven't already). If you can't rest much, at least be sure you have good shoes -- I meant to say this before. Birkenstocks have helped many (me included), and you'll find many other recommendations if you do a 'shoes' search from the top of this page. Good shoes are at least as important as rest, and it's something you can do for yourself while waiting for that doctor appt. Good luck again --Nancy S.

SuzanneK on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018506)

Pat, I am a 3rd grade teacher. They took the carpet out of my classrom this summer and now I have tile floors. The carpet wasn't much, only a commercial grade with no pad glued to the slab, but I wonder if it wasn't just enough cushion. I went to a podiatrist after having pain for a month and still haven't resolved it completely. You are right - it is very hard to sit with the little ones in the classroom. I did go to my principal and tell her what was going on, so that if she comes in, she'll know why I'm sitting. Read up here as much as possible and go to a doctor as soon as you can. Good luck!

Bob G. on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018509)

Hi, Pat! Welcome aboard, you sound like one of us. If you can, study this Board and follow conversations you can relate to. There is much to study and learn on this web site, all the products, messages and so on.

Getting a good foot doctor for proper diagnosis is important. Be careful and hopefully get references you can trust; your own family doctor may know who's good. I think you'll make it; good luck!

FWS on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018511)

I too am a teacher, and my initial symptoms were similar yours, eg., heel pain when I got up and increasing pain the longer I was on my feet. I tried 3 doctors before I found the right one. My simple advice - find a good podiatrist. By this I mean a doctor who is a good listener and who is willing to try a variety of treatments until you jointly discover what helps you. I find we are all different and what works for one person may not work for another.

Based on my experience and the experience of others, I would avoid cortisone shots, which don't seem to work and surgery, which should be considered only as a last resort.

Best of luck.

caryne on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018516)

I too am a teacher...I used to have carpet but transferred and now I'm on tile and I'm sitting here resting because I had surgery on the 30th of this month for pf in my right heel. I've always thought it was the change in floor that hurt me...I had always been a big-time walker and no problems until I switched to a tile floor. I mean the 30th of March...sorry One other question...if you've had surgery how long did you need crutches..I've got a hard cast on and have had it since surgery hopefully he'll remove on the 14th..next visit

Laurie R on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018520)

I agree with FWS I hope you can find a doctor that will listen to you and make you part of your treatment their are doctors out their like that we just need to find them I like FWS found the right doctor (podiatrist) It did take some time and I am one of those difficult cases I have PF and TTS but with the right treatment I do hope to better soon I think I am on the right track.The most important thing is to rest rest rest,I know it is hard boy do I know it is hard but it does help.Please keep us posted my very best to you.....Laurie R

Pat M on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018539)

I've not had surgery on my foot. I hope I can get through this without it. I just know I'm going to go to the doctor and he/she will say that there is nothing wrong and all the pain will go away. O.K. so I'm a dreamer sometimes. Hope your surgery works.