Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bromelain & Exercise

Posted by LynnB on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018522)

Just found this message board and find it encouraging that there are other people out there suffering as I am. I have two questions:

- Has anyone else had problems taking Bromelain? I tried to take 1500 GDUs on an empty stomach several times..each time, I either got sick or felt like I was going to. What other natural anti-anflamatories have worked for anyone?

- What sort of exercise can people w/PF tolerate? I'm a very active person, and have found this SO frustrating. To make things worse, I also have a shoulder injury, making swimming difficult. Any ideas? Thanks.

Re: Bromelain & Exercise

Robin B. on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018525)

Lynn -- you're not taking the whole 1500 gdus at one time, are you?

I take a total of 1800 to 2400 gdus in bromelain -- spaced out over 3 or 4 times a day on an empty stomach -- have had no problem at all. In fact, I credit bromelain with a significant part of my recovery. Several people on the board have tried pancreatin, but I believe with 'iffy' results. Nancy has tried it, I believe, but recently switched over to bromelain too. (Nancy -- correct?) If you stay with bromelain, you may want to try downing a sizable glass of water with each dose.

As for exercise, I recommend a bike -- particularly an outdoor bike. I used to be a walker. Although I have recovered to the point where I can walk between 2 and 3 miles -- it really doesn't seem to be all that much. I have a stationary bike which is okay -- but the truth is, to me it's utterly boring, even with music or a TV. About a month ago I got an outdoor bike and just ADORE it. You may have to work a bit to find exactly the right shoes that allow you to keep your feet on the pedals without twinges -- but for me, it's worth it. You can really go places on a bike -- much more 'traveling' oriented than walking. Good exercise and good for traveling too.

Nancy S. on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018527)

Correct, Robin, I tried the pancreatin for about 2.5 months and didn't notice any benefit. I took it about 20 minutes before meals because that's what I read everywhere (for pancreatin, not bromelain). The bromelain I'm spacing out over the day, 600 gdu between meals. A couple of times I took two bromelain at once and didn't have any stomach problem.
Lynn, I often sip on herbal tea between meals, when the bromelain is in there -- just because I like to -- and maybe this would help you. Even though I've had no stomach trouble, I wouldn't take the high dose all at once. Somehow it makes more sense to me to space doses over time rather than ingesting one whopper.
I wish I had another exercise form to recommend, but swimming is the one that works for me. --Nancy S.

VickiJ on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018531)

I love my bike too...and I also have a shoulder injury. If you need to buy a bike, make absolutely sure you go to a store that can properly fit it to you for your shoulder's sake. I was an avid biker before pf and before the shoulder problem. Gratefully I didn't have to buy a new bike for my shoulder...I was already riding a 'mountain-type' bike, NOT a 'racing' bike with the drop handle bars which would kill my shoulder now....the pros at my shop were very helpful fitting me with new handle bars so I would not put pressure on the shoulder and neck.

Good Luck!

Chrisb on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018533)

I can build up to working 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer, treadmill or even the stepper. Then I ride the stationary bike, or work out on the machines the other thirty minutes. I do have pain all the time and sleep with the boot, take antinflamatory meds, and wear birks and tennis shoes. I have had this for almost 2 years. The months I went without exercise did not bring any improvements. I decided that I needed to exercise and try to keep the pain level as low as possible. I am much happier now and am always looking for new possiblites to help without surgery. The bromelain sounds like a possibility and I am thinking about ordering the foot exerciser. Good luck to you and keep a positive attitude!

LynnB on 4/10/00 at 00:00 (018555)

Thanks for the tips! I think I erred in trying to take the entire dose at once -- althought the capsules I bought contain 1500 per capsule. I'm also going to look more into a bike. I have found, however, that a stationary bike makes it slightly worse -- but maybe I just need to build up to it.

Robin B. on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018525)

Lynn -- you're not taking the whole 1500 gdus at one time, are you?

I take a total of 1800 to 2400 gdus in bromelain -- spaced out over 3 or 4 times a day on an empty stomach -- have had no problem at all. In fact, I credit bromelain with a significant part of my recovery. Several people on the board have tried pancreatin, but I believe with 'iffy' results. Nancy has tried it, I believe, but recently switched over to bromelain too. (Nancy -- correct?) If you stay with bromelain, you may want to try downing a sizable glass of water with each dose.

As for exercise, I recommend a bike -- particularly an outdoor bike. I used to be a walker. Although I have recovered to the point where I can walk between 2 and 3 miles -- it really doesn't seem to be all that much. I have a stationary bike which is okay -- but the truth is, to me it's utterly boring, even with music or a TV. About a month ago I got an outdoor bike and just ADORE it. You may have to work a bit to find exactly the right shoes that allow you to keep your feet on the pedals without twinges -- but for me, it's worth it. You can really go places on a bike -- much more 'traveling' oriented than walking. Good exercise and good for traveling too.

Nancy S. on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018527)

Correct, Robin, I tried the pancreatin for about 2.5 months and didn't notice any benefit. I took it about 20 minutes before meals because that's what I read everywhere (for pancreatin, not bromelain). The bromelain I'm spacing out over the day, 600 gdu between meals. A couple of times I took two bromelain at once and didn't have any stomach problem.
Lynn, I often sip on herbal tea between meals, when the bromelain is in there -- just because I like to -- and maybe this would help you. Even though I've had no stomach trouble, I wouldn't take the high dose all at once. Somehow it makes more sense to me to space doses over time rather than ingesting one whopper.
I wish I had another exercise form to recommend, but swimming is the one that works for me. --Nancy S.

VickiJ on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018531)

I love my bike too...and I also have a shoulder injury. If you need to buy a bike, make absolutely sure you go to a store that can properly fit it to you for your shoulder's sake. I was an avid biker before pf and before the shoulder problem. Gratefully I didn't have to buy a new bike for my shoulder...I was already riding a 'mountain-type' bike, NOT a 'racing' bike with the drop handle bars which would kill my shoulder now....the pros at my shop were very helpful fitting me with new handle bars so I would not put pressure on the shoulder and neck.

Good Luck!

Chrisb on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018533)

I can build up to working 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer, treadmill or even the stepper. Then I ride the stationary bike, or work out on the machines the other thirty minutes. I do have pain all the time and sleep with the boot, take antinflamatory meds, and wear birks and tennis shoes. I have had this for almost 2 years. The months I went without exercise did not bring any improvements. I decided that I needed to exercise and try to keep the pain level as low as possible. I am much happier now and am always looking for new possiblites to help without surgery. The bromelain sounds like a possibility and I am thinking about ordering the foot exerciser. Good luck to you and keep a positive attitude!

LynnB on 4/10/00 at 00:00 (018555)

Thanks for the tips! I think I erred in trying to take the entire dose at once -- althought the capsules I bought contain 1500 per capsule. I'm also going to look more into a bike. I have found, however, that a stationary bike makes it slightly worse -- but maybe I just need to build up to it.