Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

odds and ends

Posted by john h on 4/10/00 at 00:00 (018558)

some odds and ends i found on the net today: one doctor says the two worst stretching exercises he knows of are (1) standing on a stair step and dropping your heels off to stretch tendons. (2) laying on your back and using a towelll or cord around your toes to stretch the tendon.

one doctor said avoid all shoes with any kind of gas in the soles. i have read that on numerous occasions

Mild stretching is best. best stretch for tendon is the runners stretch one foot at a time hoding for 10 seconds, 5 reps.

Re: odds and ends

Nancy S. on 4/10/00 at 00:00 (018564)

I must admit I never liked the sound of those two stretches, so I've never even tried them. These days I am having the best luck with the brief lean-against-the-wall calf stretches -- and just hitting the stretch point and then releasing; no holding. The tightness in the calves is disappearing by the day, noticeably, and with no bad PF effects.
What do you mean 'gas in the soles' of shoes? Is that a typo, or am I behind the times again? --Nancy

john h on 4/10/00 at 00:00 (018568)

nancy: many shoes like Nike Air have air in the soles or some other inert gas. Rockport DMX also has some sor t of air or gas in the soles. i think the dr was suggesting that this allows the foot more pumping action when you walk or run thus constanly stretching your achilles tendon back and forth.

Lori E. on 4/10/00 at 00:00 (018569)

I am sorry to disagree, but I found the wall calf stretch to hurt my arches more than the towel stretch. I can only do this one after warming up on the exercise bike first. Plus I don't have to get up on my feet out of bed to do the towel stretch first thing in the morning. I learned the towel strech from my PT and it not only stretches my calf but my hamstring as well. I do both stretches, but the wall one is definitely the tougher one for me. You can find out the right way to do this stretch from the book 'Pain Free' by Peter Egoscue(sp?) I think the key is to keep the stretch gentle.

Rick R on 4/10/00 at 00:00 (018570)

John,

I'm having one whale of a hard time figuring out what the doctor meant by pumping action. Could be that doctors take a different kind of physics than engineers? Although, I prefer Asics Gel's, I used Nike Air whatever's (they kept changing names of basically the same shoe) for many years. They were a major part of my recovery or I have managed to convince myself of such.

john h on 4/11/00 at 00:00 (018582)

a number of shoes have soles which have inert gases in them. most of the nike shoes have soles that are cushioned by air. some shoes have chambers of air in the front and back of the soles and the air can push back and forth between the chambers. some doctors think with soles that are cushioned by air that there is to much give which allows the achilles tendon to over stretch with each stride.

Re: odds and ends -- and Futuro (?) Ankle Brace, and bromelain

Nancy S. on 4/11/00 at 00:00 (018594)

Even though I don't suppose they have gases in them, that is the same sort of problem I had when trying heel cushions or pads or whatever. There was too much give in them and my weight was shifting around on the heels too much or something, and they were painful. Couldn't wear them at all.
Something that IS helping is the ankle brace by Futuro. Someone (BJC?) posted about it a few months ago, and I got one. It didn't seem to help, but now I realize I was wearing it with my hard orthotics. Now that I'm exclusively in Birks, the ankle brace really is helping. The PF pain is definitely diminished by it when I'm on my feet. It's ace bandage material, and offers a bit of arch support -- maybe just the tiny bit more I needed. It feels great, and it's cheap, at drugstore.
Also, I'm feeling quite sure that bromelain is kicking in and helping too! I've had a couple of very good days here -- and I've been on my feet more than I was for several months. It's nice to remember what 'lighthearted' feels like. --Nancy

dfeet on 4/11/00 at 00:00 (018601)

That's great , Nancy. I'm glad you've gotten some relief. Have you tried support hose? My PT suggested them to me, and I'm trying them this week . They seem to decrease the inflamation and give support to not only my legs but my feet and arches also. They are the compression type which are graduated. They are supposed to promote circulation and venous return thereby decreasing inflamation. Don't know quite yet,because I put in a busy weekend and week, so I'm a hurting unit at present. I'm glad you're feeling better. Your input to this site is always informative, supportive and a pleasure to read. -dfeet

Nancy S. on 4/11/00 at 00:00 (018610)

Thank you so much for your kind words, dfeet!
I haven't tried support hose, but they sound intriguing (never thought I'd say THAT). Do they go up to your knees? They aren't stockings-stockings, are they, as in nylons? Because I'm a socks person, the Imelda Marcos of socks; I don't think I could stand that. If they go to the knees, though, I'd like to check them out. Where did you buy yours? I don't even know where to look.
I'm sorry you're a 'hurting unit' today -- hope tomorrow is better for you. (I like the alerting you are doing to the possible dangers of rigid plastic orthotics -- my $300 ones are now dying a quick death by suffocation in the closet.) --Nancy

HanneJ on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018611)

I use my Reebok with gas both in the front and the back. I coluld almost not walk before I bought them. Did he recomend some other shoes? I'm interested in trying something new.

alan k on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018618)

I have the futuro ankle brace and also saw the top of the line bauerfeind brace for about $70, but didn't go in for it. I was hoping someone else would. I thought the ankle brace was a good idea back then because at the time I thought I had tarsal tunnel syndrome. But that's interesting that it works for pf. Perhaps the arch lift it gives is effective. Or maybe extra ankle stability helps relax muscles.

alan k

Nancy S. on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018624)

Hi Alan, yes, I definitely recommend the ankle brace for PF, if based only on my own experience. I have a 'normal' arch -- don't know if that makes a difference. But the extra little bit of arch support is immediately noticeable. (Makes me wonder if I should try Tatami Birks.) You're on to something with your comment about the ankle stability helping, too. It does relax my foot, which I think has been tense, and slightly wobbly feeling, after all it's been through; and with the muscles more relaxed I must be using them more (feels like it), and thus strengthening them. The wobbliness (but not the tension) might only be imagination, though. Yesterday, while I was wearing the ankle brace, my husband caught me limping and commented on it and said oh no, you must be in pain. But I wasn't! I said, 'The limp must just be habit,' and I dropped it on the spot and walked fine after that. Maybe this is something PF people in general should look out for when progressing -- watch out for old distorting habits of movement from more painful times, and pay attention to relaxing the foot and not tensing it when you walk. --Nancy

john h on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018633)

after my surgery i wore support hose to hold down the swelling and they were very effective. they are also effective for vericose veins.

dfeet on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018656)

Hi, alan. Does the brace help with TTS? I'm willing to try anything. Can you wear it in shoes? Can you get it in a drugstore or do you have to go to a medical supply store? Thanks!-dfeet

dfeet on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018658)

Hi, nancy. I'm a socks person too. Yes they come in hose but they have knee highs also-that's what i have. You can get them at a medical supply store. Ask for T.E.D.s. I suggest buying one pair-they are a bit expensive-and trying them. I wore them during the day for about three days(washing them each day-I couldn't let you think I had stinky feet!). then I found a similar type on-line called Ames Walker. They were a little less expensive(16.95/pair). I'm sorry but i don't have their web-site, but I looked up support stockings and found them there. They seem to help with the inflamation. Please see Elise's post. She gives a good description on how to put the stockings on.
i'm feeling a little better today, thankyou. I had a seminar and managed to stay seated for most of the day. Made a big difference.-dfeet

Nancy S. on 4/10/00 at 00:00 (018564)

I must admit I never liked the sound of those two stretches, so I've never even tried them. These days I am having the best luck with the brief lean-against-the-wall calf stretches -- and just hitting the stretch point and then releasing; no holding. The tightness in the calves is disappearing by the day, noticeably, and with no bad PF effects.
What do you mean 'gas in the soles' of shoes? Is that a typo, or am I behind the times again? --Nancy

john h on 4/10/00 at 00:00 (018568)

nancy: many shoes like Nike Air have air in the soles or some other inert gas. Rockport DMX also has some sor t of air or gas in the soles. i think the dr was suggesting that this allows the foot more pumping action when you walk or run thus constanly stretching your achilles tendon back and forth.

Lori E. on 4/10/00 at 00:00 (018569)

I am sorry to disagree, but I found the wall calf stretch to hurt my arches more than the towel stretch. I can only do this one after warming up on the exercise bike first. Plus I don't have to get up on my feet out of bed to do the towel stretch first thing in the morning. I learned the towel strech from my PT and it not only stretches my calf but my hamstring as well. I do both stretches, but the wall one is definitely the tougher one for me. You can find out the right way to do this stretch from the book 'Pain Free' by Peter Egoscue(sp?) I think the key is to keep the stretch gentle.

Rick R on 4/10/00 at 00:00 (018570)

John,

I'm having one whale of a hard time figuring out what the doctor meant by pumping action. Could be that doctors take a different kind of physics than engineers? Although, I prefer Asics Gel's, I used Nike Air whatever's (they kept changing names of basically the same shoe) for many years. They were a major part of my recovery or I have managed to convince myself of such.

john h on 4/11/00 at 00:00 (018582)

a number of shoes have soles which have inert gases in them. most of the nike shoes have soles that are cushioned by air. some shoes have chambers of air in the front and back of the soles and the air can push back and forth between the chambers. some doctors think with soles that are cushioned by air that there is to much give which allows the achilles tendon to over stretch with each stride.

Nancy S. on 4/11/00 at 00:00 (018594)

Even though I don't suppose they have gases in them, that is the same sort of problem I had when trying heel cushions or pads or whatever. There was too much give in them and my weight was shifting around on the heels too much or something, and they were painful. Couldn't wear them at all.
Something that IS helping is the ankle brace by Futuro. Someone (BJC?) posted about it a few months ago, and I got one. It didn't seem to help, but now I realize I was wearing it with my hard orthotics. Now that I'm exclusively in Birks, the ankle brace really is helping. The PF pain is definitely diminished by it when I'm on my feet. It's ace bandage material, and offers a bit of arch support -- maybe just the tiny bit more I needed. It feels great, and it's cheap, at drugstore.
Also, I'm feeling quite sure that bromelain is kicking in and helping too! I've had a couple of very good days here -- and I've been on my feet more than I was for several months. It's nice to remember what 'lighthearted' feels like. --Nancy

dfeet on 4/11/00 at 00:00 (018601)

That's great , Nancy. I'm glad you've gotten some relief. Have you tried support hose? My PT suggested them to me, and I'm trying them this week . They seem to decrease the inflamation and give support to not only my legs but my feet and arches also. They are the compression type which are graduated. They are supposed to promote circulation and venous return thereby decreasing inflamation. Don't know quite yet,because I put in a busy weekend and week, so I'm a hurting unit at present. I'm glad you're feeling better. Your input to this site is always informative, supportive and a pleasure to read. -dfeet

Nancy S. on 4/11/00 at 00:00 (018610)

Thank you so much for your kind words, dfeet!
I haven't tried support hose, but they sound intriguing (never thought I'd say THAT). Do they go up to your knees? They aren't stockings-stockings, are they, as in nylons? Because I'm a socks person, the Imelda Marcos of socks; I don't think I could stand that. If they go to the knees, though, I'd like to check them out. Where did you buy yours? I don't even know where to look.
I'm sorry you're a 'hurting unit' today -- hope tomorrow is better for you. (I like the alerting you are doing to the possible dangers of rigid plastic orthotics -- my $300 ones are now dying a quick death by suffocation in the closet.) --Nancy

HanneJ on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018611)

I use my Reebok with gas both in the front and the back. I coluld almost not walk before I bought them. Did he recomend some other shoes? I'm interested in trying something new.

alan k on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018618)

I have the futuro ankle brace and also saw the top of the line bauerfeind brace for about $70, but didn't go in for it. I was hoping someone else would. I thought the ankle brace was a good idea back then because at the time I thought I had tarsal tunnel syndrome. But that's interesting that it works for pf. Perhaps the arch lift it gives is effective. Or maybe extra ankle stability helps relax muscles.

alan k

Nancy S. on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018624)

Hi Alan, yes, I definitely recommend the ankle brace for PF, if based only on my own experience. I have a 'normal' arch -- don't know if that makes a difference. But the extra little bit of arch support is immediately noticeable. (Makes me wonder if I should try Tatami Birks.) You're on to something with your comment about the ankle stability helping, too. It does relax my foot, which I think has been tense, and slightly wobbly feeling, after all it's been through; and with the muscles more relaxed I must be using them more (feels like it), and thus strengthening them. The wobbliness (but not the tension) might only be imagination, though. Yesterday, while I was wearing the ankle brace, my husband caught me limping and commented on it and said oh no, you must be in pain. But I wasn't! I said, 'The limp must just be habit,' and I dropped it on the spot and walked fine after that. Maybe this is something PF people in general should look out for when progressing -- watch out for old distorting habits of movement from more painful times, and pay attention to relaxing the foot and not tensing it when you walk. --Nancy

john h on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018633)

after my surgery i wore support hose to hold down the swelling and they were very effective. they are also effective for vericose veins.

dfeet on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018656)

Hi, alan. Does the brace help with TTS? I'm willing to try anything. Can you wear it in shoes? Can you get it in a drugstore or do you have to go to a medical supply store? Thanks!-dfeet

dfeet on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018658)

Hi, nancy. I'm a socks person too. Yes they come in hose but they have knee highs also-that's what i have. You can get them at a medical supply store. Ask for T.E.D.s. I suggest buying one pair-they are a bit expensive-and trying them. I wore them during the day for about three days(washing them each day-I couldn't let you think I had stinky feet!). then I found a similar type on-line called Ames Walker. They were a little less expensive(16.95/pair). I'm sorry but i don't have their web-site, but I looked up support stockings and found them there. They seem to help with the inflamation. Please see Elise's post. She gives a good description on how to put the stockings on.
i'm feeling a little better today, thankyou. I had a seminar and managed to stay seated for most of the day. Made a big difference.-dfeet