Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

support stockings

Posted by dfeet on 4/10/00 at 00:00 (018566)

My PT suggested I buy support stocking after he discovered edema around my ankles last week(I had rushed from work- on my feet all day-to the PT appointment). He said that the stockings would help with venous return and reduce the inflamation. Well, I bought a pair( a bit expensive-18.95) and they do seem to relieve some of the pressure on my ankles. They are T.E.D. type compression stockings. I found ones on line that are comparable, but a little less expensive_16.95 the company is Ames Walker. They seem to help with my TTS.

Re: support stockings

Bob G. on 4/11/00 at 00:00 (018578)

I love my Thorlo over-the-calf socks. They are sooo supportive and coool! Plus, they have extra cushioning. A long day with much walking and driving is better with supportive socks. About $10.

Re: support stockings -- Bob, where do you get Thorlo socks? eom

Nancy S. on 4/11/00 at 00:00 (018581)

Bob G. on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018613)

Hi, Nancy! This one's easy. I got the Thoros off their web site. That web site can be found off this web site or any internet search for Thorlos. I also have seen (and purchased) them in various stores downtown. I also had them shipped to my Folks in Arizona and Mom loves 'em.

I especially appreciate their dress socks for business. I now see that I can purchase 'padded' athletic socks at the drug store for less money than I spent online. Cheers!

Re: support stockings / Reply, please read

Elise M. on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018617)

Hi,
I hope when they sold you support stockings that they also informed you of the correct way to put them on. Medicine/nursing being what it is (not) now, patient teaching is a forgotten art. Any type of support stockings, Teds, support panty hose etc SHOULD BE PUT ON WHILE LYING DOWN BEFORE FEET ARE PUT ON THE FLOOR. The reason being that you are trying to maintain even blood dispersion and prevent blood/fluid pooling in the feet/ankle area. If you find them difficult to get on, powder your legs/feet first and roll the stocking up in your hand so you can insert toes into the toe area and then adjust them up the calf. Feel better.......Elise

BrendaK on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018628)

Do these Thorlo socks come in x-large sizes? My Dad likes padded socks, but they're hard to find in his size. He wears a size 13 or 14EEEEE shoe. He shattered his ankle 20 years ago, it was put back together(most of it) but eventually it had to be partially fused to put an end to the constant pain. He still has problems with swelling. A few years after the injury he also broke his good ankle. Anyway, I am always on the lookout for large padded socks for him. He can't wear regular Ted hose, he is allergic to them and breaks out in a terrible rash. After hip surgery last year, they had to wrap his legs with a cotton wrap and then ace bandages.

dfeet on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018654)

Thanks, Elise. No, I wasn't given any info on how to put the stockings on. So, thanks for the input. Although, I seemed to be doing just what you said. They are like putting on a wet suit!-dfeet

dfeet on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018655)

Teds come in non-latex. Does your dad have a latex allergy? Ask the place where you got the teds for the non-latex type.

Bob G. on 4/11/00 at 00:00 (018578)

I love my Thorlo over-the-calf socks. They are sooo supportive and coool! Plus, they have extra cushioning. A long day with much walking and driving is better with supportive socks. About $10.

Nancy S. on 4/11/00 at 00:00 (018581)

Bob G. on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018613)

Hi, Nancy! This one's easy. I got the Thoros off their web site. That web site can be found off this web site or any internet search for Thorlos. I also have seen (and purchased) them in various stores downtown. I also had them shipped to my Folks in Arizona and Mom loves 'em.

I especially appreciate their dress socks for business. I now see that I can purchase 'padded' athletic socks at the drug store for less money than I spent online. Cheers!

Elise M. on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018617)

Hi,
I hope when they sold you support stockings that they also informed you of the correct way to put them on. Medicine/nursing being what it is (not) now, patient teaching is a forgotten art. Any type of support stockings, Teds, support panty hose etc SHOULD BE PUT ON WHILE LYING DOWN BEFORE FEET ARE PUT ON THE FLOOR. The reason being that you are trying to maintain even blood dispersion and prevent blood/fluid pooling in the feet/ankle area. If you find them difficult to get on, powder your legs/feet first and roll the stocking up in your hand so you can insert toes into the toe area and then adjust them up the calf. Feel better.......Elise

BrendaK on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018628)

Do these Thorlo socks come in x-large sizes? My Dad likes padded socks, but they're hard to find in his size. He wears a size 13 or 14EEEEE shoe. He shattered his ankle 20 years ago, it was put back together(most of it) but eventually it had to be partially fused to put an end to the constant pain. He still has problems with swelling. A few years after the injury he also broke his good ankle. Anyway, I am always on the lookout for large padded socks for him. He can't wear regular Ted hose, he is allergic to them and breaks out in a terrible rash. After hip surgery last year, they had to wrap his legs with a cotton wrap and then ace bandages.

dfeet on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018654)

Thanks, Elise. No, I wasn't given any info on how to put the stockings on. So, thanks for the input. Although, I seemed to be doing just what you said. They are like putting on a wet suit!-dfeet

dfeet on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018655)

Teds come in non-latex. Does your dad have a latex allergy? Ask the place where you got the teds for the non-latex type.