Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Stretching

Posted by Bob G. on 4/11/00 at 00:00 (018580)

The footflex is now my companion. I spend most of my time working at home; my footflex is stationed near my computer so that I can constantly do my 'gentle' stretches on my Footflex. It is like the wall stretch, but better (in my opinion). I do straight and bent leg stetches over and over, and depending, stretch gently or more so.

I have not mentioned the Footflex much, nor seen it mentioned much on this Board, but I must confess that I use it constantly. My PF has been without pain for over a month now, and growing stronger.

For those in pain, rest; stretch at your own risk. I had to rest mine for many months until I could stretch.

Re: Stretching

Bruce Korte on 9/04/99 at 00:00 (010636)

For me it really helps to stretch. I have to hold the stretch for at least 20-30 secs. I played racquetball this morning and sat down afterward without stretching and I got up to walk and could not take
any steps for about an hour. I had not stretched after I got done playing and I payed for it. Stretching does hurt for the first few seconds but then goes away (sometimes).

Bruce Korte on 9/04/99 at 00:00 (010636)

For me it really helps to stretch. I have to hold the stretch for at least 20-30 secs. I played racquetball this morning and sat down afterward without stretching and I got up to walk and could not take
any steps for about an hour. I had not stretched after I got done playing and I payed for it. Stretching does hurt for the first few seconds but then goes away (sometimes).

Bob G. on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (018953)

Hi, Robin! I think you are sooo right! Better not to stretch than to over stretch.

Everybody's into stretching, oftentimes rightly so, but too often wrongly so. I stretched too much too soon and credit total rest with my recovery. But to be able to be active again takes, in my opinion, a program of progressive stretching. Everybody stretches before workouts - runners, dancers, baseball players, etc. Stretching prevents injury when you are healthy and active.

You must be a very patient person, Robin. Good luck!

Robin B. on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (018955)

Bob, I assume you mean well, but...

I AM getting a little tired of being corrected and told -- even as gently and politely as you are trying to do it -- that I SHOULD be stretching. That everybody stretches. That it's right and normal. That it's what ought to be taking place. This is not the first time it has happened, and it's not the first time that you have told me that, in your opinion, everyone should be stretching.

I responded to Beverly to simply share that my experience is quite atypical but that something which IS contrary to what everyone on this board seems to advise DOES work for me very well. I was not looking for advice or correction. I DO have what I feel works for me and I am quite pleased with my recovery. I have not had any significant relapses or recurrences.

You're right -- I AM a patient person, not only with my feet. I try extremely hard to be reserved about my own opinions on this board, and to allow for a wide variety of others' opinions. I generally try to be helpful with my suggestions and not to push one strategy or another. Most of the time, I simply don't post at all.

I appreciate that various levels of stretching, foot exercising and other modalities work for many people, even most people. They DON'T work for me. I have been at it for two years and they DON'T work for me. Please stop telling me that they SHOULD and that I SHOULD stretch. Maybe I should, but I don't -- and I daresay I'm recovering better than I ever did. But the honest truth is, I AM getting tired of being corrected for describing what works for me. This is how I have directed my own treatment and my own recovery. I would like to be able to at least post once in a great while without being told that I SHOULD be stretching because it's the RIGHT thing to do.

alan k on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (018968)

Even those people who stretch before workouts are terribly misinformed! They are damaging their muscles, unless they warm up vigourously first (which many do I assume). Stretching as a warm-up is a huge contradiction.

alan k

Bob G. on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (018953)

Hi, Robin! I think you are sooo right! Better not to stretch than to over stretch.

Everybody's into stretching, oftentimes rightly so, but too often wrongly so. I stretched too much too soon and credit total rest with my recovery. But to be able to be active again takes, in my opinion, a program of progressive stretching. Everybody stretches before workouts - runners, dancers, baseball players, etc. Stretching prevents injury when you are healthy and active.

You must be a very patient person, Robin. Good luck!

Robin B. on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (018955)

Bob, I assume you mean well, but...

I AM getting a little tired of being corrected and told -- even as gently and politely as you are trying to do it -- that I SHOULD be stretching. That everybody stretches. That it's right and normal. That it's what ought to be taking place. This is not the first time it has happened, and it's not the first time that you have told me that, in your opinion, everyone should be stretching.

I responded to Beverly to simply share that my experience is quite atypical but that something which IS contrary to what everyone on this board seems to advise DOES work for me very well. I was not looking for advice or correction. I DO have what I feel works for me and I am quite pleased with my recovery. I have not had any significant relapses or recurrences.

You're right -- I AM a patient person, not only with my feet. I try extremely hard to be reserved about my own opinions on this board, and to allow for a wide variety of others' opinions. I generally try to be helpful with my suggestions and not to push one strategy or another. Most of the time, I simply don't post at all.

I appreciate that various levels of stretching, foot exercising and other modalities work for many people, even most people. They DON'T work for me. I have been at it for two years and they DON'T work for me. Please stop telling me that they SHOULD and that I SHOULD stretch. Maybe I should, but I don't -- and I daresay I'm recovering better than I ever did. But the honest truth is, I AM getting tired of being corrected for describing what works for me. This is how I have directed my own treatment and my own recovery. I would like to be able to at least post once in a great while without being told that I SHOULD be stretching because it's the RIGHT thing to do.

alan k on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (018968)

Even those people who stretch before workouts are terribly misinformed! They are damaging their muscles, unless they warm up vigourously first (which many do I assume). Stretching as a warm-up is a huge contradiction.

alan k