Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Breaking in $500 orthotics

Posted by Maria on 4/11/00 at 00:00 (018595)

I was prescribed orthotics by my podiatrist. He recommended using the orthotics 1 hour the first day, 2 hours the second day, and doubling after that each day. This seems a little too fast, since I have heard that using orthotics too quickly can cause serious pain. Anyone have any suggestions or examples of what to do.

Re: Breaking in $500 orthoticsRe Maria

Laurie R on 4/11/00 at 00:00 (018596)

Hi Maria,
I would just take it very very slow I know when I got mine they hurt alot I tried to wear them for hours and the pain was so bad my Podiatrist told me to take it slow to brake them in,I did and they are fine now.Just try them for 15 minutes take them off and wait a while and try them again for 15 minutes see if that helps you than increase the time if they feel ok.Hope this will help you. Laurie R

Re: Breaking in $500 orthotics

dfeet on 4/11/00 at 00:00 (018603)

Hi, maria. I posted a while back about my experience with orthotics. I think tthe posts might be helpful. I'll expain a little of my experience: Orthotics should not have a break-in period. They should be relatively comfortable and tolerable immediately. Beware of rigid or hard orthotics. Those types have been implicated in causing my TTS. If they are not comfortable within a feww days Take them back. Good Luck.

alan k on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018621)

Yes I have suggestions.

I believe that for some people that regimen is too fast.

I recommend, for those who think they might fall in that category, using the orthotics in house slippers and only when moving from couch to computer to bed to W.C., etc. in little bits of 20 seconds to 2 minutes. Do this for a while and then maybe walk about a bit later. Then try fifteen minutes at a go (a few times a day) and then work up to an hour a day for a few days. By that point you might be able to increase at the recommended rate (but starting later).

Note that this will throw off the diagnostic and treatment schedule of your podiatrist, so you might postpone your follow up visit by a week, or just show up and explain how you wore them more slowly and less than recommended. Usually a pod will see you after three weeks and will want to see if there are any worn out parts on the orthotics and how your feet feel, in order to make adjustments (unless its my pod, he just shrugs his shoulders).

alan k

alan k on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018622)

hard orthotics take more than a few days to see if they are going to work and may be uncomfortable for a few days, especially if 'broken in' at the too-fast (in my opinion) schedule they recommend. They do need to be given a chance (according to their advocates). This is just info-- I myself had a bad experience with hard orthotics and so agree wholefootedly with dfeet. But we have to be cautious too in our cautions. But (another but)I also agree with dfeet that when trying something as radical as orthotics (I think a problem lies in classifying orthotics as 'conservative' treatment) it is best to go back daily if necessary and badger the pod as much as you feel necessary in order to be sure you are not hurting yourself.

Many people report good results from orthotics (but not me).

alan k

alan k

BJC on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018626)

I have hard orthotics, and have had no trouble with them. I do find, however, that a shoe with good support works best...a looser shoe (houseslippers?) allows too much slippage of the foot. So, you may want to try both ways, and see what's best for you.

Re: Breaking in $500 orthoticsRe Maria

Laurie R on 4/11/00 at 00:00 (018596)

Hi Maria,
I would just take it very very slow I know when I got mine they hurt alot I tried to wear them for hours and the pain was so bad my Podiatrist told me to take it slow to brake them in,I did and they are fine now.Just try them for 15 minutes take them off and wait a while and try them again for 15 minutes see if that helps you than increase the time if they feel ok.Hope this will help you. Laurie R

dfeet on 4/11/00 at 00:00 (018603)

Hi, maria. I posted a while back about my experience with orthotics. I think tthe posts might be helpful. I'll expain a little of my experience: Orthotics should not have a break-in period. They should be relatively comfortable and tolerable immediately. Beware of rigid or hard orthotics. Those types have been implicated in causing my TTS. If they are not comfortable within a feww days Take them back. Good Luck.

alan k on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018621)

Yes I have suggestions.

I believe that for some people that regimen is too fast.

I recommend, for those who think they might fall in that category, using the orthotics in house slippers and only when moving from couch to computer to bed to W.C., etc. in little bits of 20 seconds to 2 minutes. Do this for a while and then maybe walk about a bit later. Then try fifteen minutes at a go (a few times a day) and then work up to an hour a day for a few days. By that point you might be able to increase at the recommended rate (but starting later).

Note that this will throw off the diagnostic and treatment schedule of your podiatrist, so you might postpone your follow up visit by a week, or just show up and explain how you wore them more slowly and less than recommended. Usually a pod will see you after three weeks and will want to see if there are any worn out parts on the orthotics and how your feet feel, in order to make adjustments (unless its my pod, he just shrugs his shoulders).

alan k

alan k on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018622)

hard orthotics take more than a few days to see if they are going to work and may be uncomfortable for a few days, especially if 'broken in' at the too-fast (in my opinion) schedule they recommend. They do need to be given a chance (according to their advocates). This is just info-- I myself had a bad experience with hard orthotics and so agree wholefootedly with dfeet. But we have to be cautious too in our cautions. But (another but)I also agree with dfeet that when trying something as radical as orthotics (I think a problem lies in classifying orthotics as 'conservative' treatment) it is best to go back daily if necessary and badger the pod as much as you feel necessary in order to be sure you are not hurting yourself.

Many people report good results from orthotics (but not me).

alan k

alan k

BJC on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018626)

I have hard orthotics, and have had no trouble with them. I do find, however, that a shoe with good support works best...a looser shoe (houseslippers?) allows too much slippage of the foot. So, you may want to try both ways, and see what's best for you.