Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Questions

Posted by Pat M. on 4/11/00 at 00:00 (018604)

Hi everyone,
I have a few questions. I'm afraid I am going to sound a bit whiny, so I'll apologize in advance.

First, I cannot see my doctor until after May 1st. (Darned HMO's) I switched GPs without knowing that I would have to wait until it was done. My current GP is not very generous with referrals. He is under the belief that he is an expert on everything. (Couldn't take care of my sinus problems.)

Should I chance it and wait or should I see current GP? If I wait what should I do in the meantime?

Pain is not so bad on weekends, but by Friday afternoon, I can barely stand. I know that ya'll know all the tricks. Got any for me?

I'm getting pretty worried because everything I read here (and I have read it all many, many times) sounds like this could be a very long process. (ofcourse I haven't had a diagnosis yet) I could be whining for nothing. My mother and sister have both told me that they had the same problems and they just went away. Is there any chance of that happening? I'm not sure that the three of us are talking about the same thing.

The resting idea sounds great! However, even at home it's hard. My 7 year-old just doesn't understand when I say no to activities, because I just don't look like anything is wrong with me. I understand that bicycling is o.k. Am I right? She loves to ride.

I also read that many of you have more than one problem with your feet. Does PF lead to these other problems, or do the other problems lead to PF? Has anyone ever gotten completely over it?

I have come to think of all of you as the expert group. I would love to hear all thoughts on this. Or just tell me to quit whining and get a life. :-)

Thanks for listening,
Pat M.

Re: Questions

Nancy S. on 4/11/00 at 00:00 (018608)

Oh no, Pat, you won't find anyone here telling you to 'quit whining and get a life'! You're already taking steps to try to get your normal life back; and as for whining, it's known more as venting, and everyone has to do that now and again. I've done it plenty myself.
I'm not a mother, so my advice on how to handle this with your daughter might just be ignorant hot air. But it seems to me that a 7-year-old could understand to some extent pain that can't be seen -- like a stomach ache. I would be as straightforward as possible with her about this, and highlight the things you still CAN do with her while telling her what you can't, for now. I've read of lots of people on this board who bike.
Coincidence: my mother and my sister also had PF in the past -- and got over it within 3 to 6 months (I've had it for about a year now, but I'm really starting to get better, after a lengthy rest). Your job entails your being on your feet most of the day, as does mine -- and my mother's and sister's jobs don't. I think that's probably one major difference that accounts for recovery time.
You have nothing to lose by seeing your current GP now, at least not that I can think of. Last May, mine made me wait a month for a referral to a podiatrist. If I'd known then what I know now -- that is, if I'd found this site -- I'd have gone in armed with information and absolutely insisted on an immediate referral. Maybe it would help with your reluctant GP if you brought with you a written summary of what's been going on (in case he doesn't HEAR well, if you catch my drift)-- how long you've been in pain, what it's doing to your life (both work and home), the fact that you can barely stand by the end of the week, and how crucial you've learned it is to begin prompt treatment.
Since you've done a lot of reading here, you've probably already read a lot of 'tricks' about dealing with the pain. Today I added one that's helping me -- the Futuro ankle brace (supports the arch too and feels very good) -- my post about it is below, under the 'Odds and Ends' thread. Also, I've been taking the natural anti-inflammatory bromelain, which you've probably read about, esp. by Robin B., and after almmost two weeks I believe I'm feeling some relief from it. You might want to try these things. It does sound to me, though, that rest would be really important for you right now. Get every second of it that you can.
Good luck, Pat -- go in to see that GP now -- and do not worry about venting, questions, or anything else you might come out with on here -- they're universal. --Nancy

Re: Questions

Nancy S. on 4/11/00 at 00:00 (018608)

Oh no, Pat, you won't find anyone here telling you to 'quit whining and get a life'! You're already taking steps to try to get your normal life back; and as for whining, it's known more as venting, and everyone has to do that now and again. I've done it plenty myself.
I'm not a mother, so my advice on how to handle this with your daughter might just be ignorant hot air. But it seems to me that a 7-year-old could understand to some extent pain that can't be seen -- like a stomach ache. I would be as straightforward as possible with her about this, and highlight the things you still CAN do with her while telling her what you can't, for now. I've read of lots of people on this board who bike.
Coincidence: my mother and my sister also had PF in the past -- and got over it within 3 to 6 months (I've had it for about a year now, but I'm really starting to get better, after a lengthy rest). Your job entails your being on your feet most of the day, as does mine -- and my mother's and sister's jobs don't. I think that's probably one major difference that accounts for recovery time.
You have nothing to lose by seeing your current GP now, at least not that I can think of. Last May, mine made me wait a month for a referral to a podiatrist. If I'd known then what I know now -- that is, if I'd found this site -- I'd have gone in armed with information and absolutely insisted on an immediate referral. Maybe it would help with your reluctant GP if you brought with you a written summary of what's been going on (in case he doesn't HEAR well, if you catch my drift)-- how long you've been in pain, what it's doing to your life (both work and home), the fact that you can barely stand by the end of the week, and how crucial you've learned it is to begin prompt treatment.
Since you've done a lot of reading here, you've probably already read a lot of 'tricks' about dealing with the pain. Today I added one that's helping me -- the Futuro ankle brace (supports the arch too and feels very good) -- my post about it is below, under the 'Odds and Ends' thread. Also, I've been taking the natural anti-inflammatory bromelain, which you've probably read about, esp. by Robin B., and after almmost two weeks I believe I'm feeling some relief from it. You might want to try these things. It does sound to me, though, that rest would be really important for you right now. Get every second of it that you can.
Good luck, Pat -- go in to see that GP now -- and do not worry about venting, questions, or anything else you might come out with on here -- they're universal. --Nancy