Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

wendyn

Posted by wendyn on 4/11/00 at 00:00 (018607)

Hi Laurie - I'm too lazy to look up the actual definition...but basically poly means 'many' and neuropathy is problems with nerves. So polyneuropathy is problems with multiple nerves. Some types are caused by things like diabetes or low thyroid or low B12. Other types have actual compression causes like carpal tunnel or tarsal tunnel.

Problem is some can be fixed and some can't. If the problem is with the nerve itself - and it's degenerating for some reason (like with diabetes) the only real option is pain management. Sometimes people are diagnosed with 'idiopathic neuropathy' - where the problems happen for no known cause. This is what I don't want them to decide I have - basically then you're toast except for mega drugs like neurotonin (sp?) and tegretol.

Lots of info on the http://www.neuropathy.org bulletin board (that's the depressing place).

I hope it's just one of the other nasty things they'll decied that I DON'T have.

Re: wendyn

john h on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018632)

wendy: are the symptoms you describe sort the same as for fibromylgia?

Re: wendyn

john h on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018632)

wendy: are the symptoms you describe sort the same as for fibromylgia?