Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Futuro ankle support

Posted by BJC on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018627)

I'm so glad this has been helpful for many of you, especially Nancy! Just a word of caution: after wearing a year I had surgery, and discontinued the futuro. I developed mild tendonitis on the outside of my foot. For a year I had not been using those muscles to full range. So, continue to exercise daily. What worked well were exercises for inverion/eversion, turning the foot in and out without moving the ankle. You can increase the resistance by using a scarf, or just use your hand to gently push against your foot while moving in and out. Within 2 days of starting this simple exercise, the pain was gone and has not returned. (I wonder how the Personal Foot Trainer addresses this?)

Re: Futuro ankle support

Nancy S. on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018629)

Hi, BJC, by 'in and out' do you mean side to side with the foot still in a flat position, or do you mean actually bending the sole of the foot inward and then outward? I'd like to do this as a precautionary measure, as you recommend, though I am swimming for strengthening and doing gentle stretching and massage. AND, natch, I'm hoping to use the Futuro for not too long a time. Hope hope hope.
Thank you! --Nancy

BJC on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018645)

This can be really difficult to explain, but I'll give it a try! Sit on the floor, sofa, etc. with your legs out in front, knees straight, and ankle relatively relaxed - 90 degrees, not pointed. Inversion is where you would turn your big toes so they would point to each other (inward), and eversion turns them outward (heels together). Try to move your foot from the ankle, not from the upper part of your leg. Does this make sense? Hard to describe without a picture. I used my futuro today while gardening...it certainly helps stabilize my foot on the slopes. Good luck!

Re: Futuro ankle support -- and to Robin, Bob, anyone else interested in bromelain

Nancy S. on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018649)

BJC, that was a five-star description! I get it now, thank you.
Today on purpose I didn't wear the Futuro because I wanted to see if I could still feel good effects from bromelain, without any other new item clogging my judgment. I'm happy to report that I do! My pain has been way down lately, and now the edge definitely feels taken off the little bit that I do have. So Bob, and anyone else considering bromelain, go for it!
This is not to retract my recommendation of the Futuro -- I definitely like its support when I'm going somewhere or working in the barn and so plan to keep on wearing it. Bromelain and the Futuro are the latest winning combo for me, along with Birks, of course, and Thai calf stretches, and swimming, and . . . For quite a while I harbored a resentment over having to think and fuss about my feet all the time, and deal with contraptions, etc. But the better the feet feel, the less energy I spend on that resentment. I've been working on casting that attitude away anyway -- it's the road to nowhere in the long run (but understandable at crisis points and tired-of-pain times). Uh oh, I sense a ramble coming on -- didn't get enough sleep last night due to enjoying consciousness. Good day, everyone --Nancy

Re: Futuro ankle support -- and to Robin, Bob, anyone else interested in bromelain

alan k on 4/13/00 at 00:00 (018667)

I have actually become attached to all my little rituals and enjoy them now as though they were a fascinating hobby or project that I work to perfect. Of course, as you say, one has to be getting better to enjoy it.

alan k

Nancy S. on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018629)

Hi, BJC, by 'in and out' do you mean side to side with the foot still in a flat position, or do you mean actually bending the sole of the foot inward and then outward? I'd like to do this as a precautionary measure, as you recommend, though I am swimming for strengthening and doing gentle stretching and massage. AND, natch, I'm hoping to use the Futuro for not too long a time. Hope hope hope.
Thank you! --Nancy

BJC on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018645)

This can be really difficult to explain, but I'll give it a try! Sit on the floor, sofa, etc. with your legs out in front, knees straight, and ankle relatively relaxed - 90 degrees, not pointed. Inversion is where you would turn your big toes so they would point to each other (inward), and eversion turns them outward (heels together). Try to move your foot from the ankle, not from the upper part of your leg. Does this make sense? Hard to describe without a picture. I used my futuro today while gardening...it certainly helps stabilize my foot on the slopes. Good luck!

Nancy S. on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018649)

BJC, that was a five-star description! I get it now, thank you.
Today on purpose I didn't wear the Futuro because I wanted to see if I could still feel good effects from bromelain, without any other new item clogging my judgment. I'm happy to report that I do! My pain has been way down lately, and now the edge definitely feels taken off the little bit that I do have. So Bob, and anyone else considering bromelain, go for it!
This is not to retract my recommendation of the Futuro -- I definitely like its support when I'm going somewhere or working in the barn and so plan to keep on wearing it. Bromelain and the Futuro are the latest winning combo for me, along with Birks, of course, and Thai calf stretches, and swimming, and . . . For quite a while I harbored a resentment over having to think and fuss about my feet all the time, and deal with contraptions, etc. But the better the feet feel, the less energy I spend on that resentment. I've been working on casting that attitude away anyway -- it's the road to nowhere in the long run (but understandable at crisis points and tired-of-pain times). Uh oh, I sense a ramble coming on -- didn't get enough sleep last night due to enjoying consciousness. Good day, everyone --Nancy

alan k on 4/13/00 at 00:00 (018667)

I have actually become attached to all my little rituals and enjoy them now as though they were a fascinating hobby or project that I work to perfect. Of course, as you say, one has to be getting better to enjoy it.

alan k