Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

loosing weight while taking anti-inflammitories with PF

Posted by sherri mc on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018636)

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to loose weight while taking anti-inflammitories? I've gained about 30 pounds in the last two years and have never had any trouble loosing a few pounds until I got PF. Then it was hard to find an exercise that did'nt involve your foot. I gained a few pounds and then started on Voltaren for the inflammation. It works great, but I gained more weight and have tryed exercise and diet with little results.

Re: loosing weight while taking anti-inflammitories with PF

wendyn on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018640)

Sherri - just a word of caution, you may not want to stay on the voltaren for a long period of time unless absolutely necessary. Have you tried going off? Risk of side effects from anti-inflammitories increases with the length of time you spend on them, so you don't want to be on them longer than you have to.

There are also 'safer' brands of anti-inflammitories like Celebrex and Vioxx. Arthrotec is basically Voltaren for people who have to be on for a long time (specially coated). Others have find good relief from 'natural' remedies like Glucosomine or Bromelin.

I'm glad you've found something that works, but weigh the risks and benefits carefully.

Nancy S. on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018641)

Sherri, for an alternative to Rx anti-inflammatories, you might want to try bromelain (find at health food stores or order from vitaminshoppe.com). I've been taking it for two weeks and it seems to be helping.
Have you tried a low-carb, no-sugar diet? It works.

cindyp on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018642)

personally I have found it impossible to do much of anything while suffering with this. Have gained weight (too much) and cannot exercise because again it involves feet. Pain becomes excruciating.

sherri012 on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018646)

I've tried going off. I can usually make it 1 day and then the pain is back. The Celebrex did not work for me at all and most of the others bother my stomach. Am willing to try the natural stuff suggested though. Thanks!

Re: loosing weight while taking anti-inflammitories with PF(long)

dfeet on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018661)

hi,cindyp. It is frustrating to try to lose weight when you cannot move well. Have you tried cycling? I cannot swim because the pressure of the water and the postion of my feet in the water cause them to cramp terribly(I have TTS). Using the stationary bike or cycling helps. I also do a little upper body workout with weights and situps-although, my PT isn't too keen on the situps. My PT also gave me alot of stretching and strengthing exercises for my feet and back:Here's a sampling(I'll try my best to describe)
1. Wall stretch-leaning inward to wall keeping one foot further back, heel on floor, gently lean inward until feel a slight stretch in calf, then release, repeat and alternate feet(upper calf)
2.Sitting calf stretch(lower calf)- sit with back straight, bend one foot close to chair seat(hard to describe), then with hands depress thigh so that heel comes to floor(or until you feel a gentle stretch), release, alternate.
3. Plantar Stretch(similar to a lunge)- Hold on to chair back, or sofa arm, with one foot back and one foot forward bend knees until the back knee touches the floor lifting the heel of the back foot and rolling onto the ball of your foot,alternate
4.Back bends-stand with feet shoulder width apart, and gently lean backward from the hips
5. The 'Cat Stretch'-get on all fours,arch your back inward and outward, as you arch inward look toward the floor, as you arch outward look straght ahead
6. Using the Theraband(a giant elastic band with a velcro strap attached)- Attach the theraband to a fixed object suchas the leg of a sofa, attatch the velcro strap to your foot(shoe on) put a support under your ankle(a rolled up towel works well)
a.Inversion/eversion(inward/outward)-sitting on foor, with your toes pointing straight up,move your foot in an inward motion,keeping leg and ankle stable (I use my other leg bent at the knee to provide support)-inversion; sitting on floor using the other leg for support,keeping your toes straght up, turn foot outward-eversion(do a few reps)
b. dorsoflexion-sitting on floor,toes pointing up, bring toes toward your knee, flexing foot
Any movement you can do will help in losing weight. I'm about to sound like an infomercial, but check with your doc first to see which exercises are most appropriate. Good Luck!!

wendyn on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018640)

Sherri - just a word of caution, you may not want to stay on the voltaren for a long period of time unless absolutely necessary. Have you tried going off? Risk of side effects from anti-inflammitories increases with the length of time you spend on them, so you don't want to be on them longer than you have to.

There are also 'safer' brands of anti-inflammitories like Celebrex and Vioxx. Arthrotec is basically Voltaren for people who have to be on for a long time (specially coated). Others have find good relief from 'natural' remedies like Glucosomine or Bromelin.

I'm glad you've found something that works, but weigh the risks and benefits carefully.

Nancy S. on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018641)

Sherri, for an alternative to Rx anti-inflammatories, you might want to try bromelain (find at health food stores or order from vitaminshoppe.com). I've been taking it for two weeks and it seems to be helping.
Have you tried a low-carb, no-sugar diet? It works.

cindyp on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018642)

personally I have found it impossible to do much of anything while suffering with this. Have gained weight (too much) and cannot exercise because again it involves feet. Pain becomes excruciating.

sherri012 on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018646)

I've tried going off. I can usually make it 1 day and then the pain is back. The Celebrex did not work for me at all and most of the others bother my stomach. Am willing to try the natural stuff suggested though. Thanks!

Re: loosing weight while taking anti-inflammitories with PF(long)

dfeet on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018661)

hi,cindyp. It is frustrating to try to lose weight when you cannot move well. Have you tried cycling? I cannot swim because the pressure of the water and the postion of my feet in the water cause them to cramp terribly(I have TTS). Using the stationary bike or cycling helps. I also do a little upper body workout with weights and situps-although, my PT isn't too keen on the situps. My PT also gave me alot of stretching and strengthing exercises for my feet and back:Here's a sampling(I'll try my best to describe)
1. Wall stretch-leaning inward to wall keeping one foot further back, heel on floor, gently lean inward until feel a slight stretch in calf, then release, repeat and alternate feet(upper calf)
2.Sitting calf stretch(lower calf)- sit with back straight, bend one foot close to chair seat(hard to describe), then with hands depress thigh so that heel comes to floor(or until you feel a gentle stretch), release, alternate.
3. Plantar Stretch(similar to a lunge)- Hold on to chair back, or sofa arm, with one foot back and one foot forward bend knees until the back knee touches the floor lifting the heel of the back foot and rolling onto the ball of your foot,alternate
4.Back bends-stand with feet shoulder width apart, and gently lean backward from the hips
5. The 'Cat Stretch'-get on all fours,arch your back inward and outward, as you arch inward look toward the floor, as you arch outward look straght ahead
6. Using the Theraband(a giant elastic band with a velcro strap attached)- Attach the theraband to a fixed object suchas the leg of a sofa, attatch the velcro strap to your foot(shoe on) put a support under your ankle(a rolled up towel works well)
a.Inversion/eversion(inward/outward)-sitting on foor, with your toes pointing straight up,move your foot in an inward motion,keeping leg and ankle stable (I use my other leg bent at the knee to provide support)-inversion; sitting on floor using the other leg for support,keeping your toes straght up, turn foot outward-eversion(do a few reps)
b. dorsoflexion-sitting on floor,toes pointing up, bring toes toward your knee, flexing foot
Any movement you can do will help in losing weight. I'm about to sound like an infomercial, but check with your doc first to see which exercises are most appropriate. Good Luck!!