Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Podiatrist appointment tomarrow,cast worked for 2 weeks only.................

Posted by Laurie R on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018647)

Hi everyone,
Tomarrow I have an appointment and hopefuly I will be getting this cast off.I did so well with it the first two weeks and the last two weeks I have been in so much pain and the bad thing is I can't rub my foot.My arch gets sharp pains in it and my ankle has been going nuts.The pain also goes up the back of my leg.It has been a long 4 weeks with this cast and crutches.I am real glad that I tried it I just wonder why the first 2 weeks it helped and not the last 2 weeks.I hope everyone is doing well my very best to all.Laurie R

Re: Podiatrist appointment tomarrow,cast worked for 2 weeks only.................

wendyn on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018660)

Laurie, I am sorry to hear that things continue to go downhill for you. I don't know why the cast worked for the first two weeks but I think you've probably exhausted everything that this podiatrist can do for you. I know you like him - but maybe it's time to request a referral to a neurologist because your feet don't seem to be responding to anything he's tried.

As I recall, you've tried PT and a series of cortisone shots - as well as various forms of casting. You've rested and done everything you can to be a good little patient (much more cooperative than some of us).

I'm not a doctor and I don't know much about feet but enough to know that I don't think it's right you're still having so much pain. Bring up the idea of a neurologist if you think it might be the next logical step - I think you're certainly entitled to another opinion after this much time and this much pain.

Now that I think about it- didn't a neurologist do your nerve conduction tests? The jerk? Did he have any other ideas on what's happening? Maybe you can see a different type of doctor?

I hope your podiatrist has some ideas for you....let us know.

Re: Podiatrist appointment tomarrow,cast worked for 2 weeks only.................

dfeet on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018662)

Hi, Laurie. I'm sorry to hear you're not doing well. I agree with wendyn. Perhaps you should seek out another doc. I'm seeing an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in foot and ankle. I remember you having both PF and TTS. I have both also and i can only say I take one day at a time. Lately, I'm never pain free, although, the degree varies. This has not been a good week for me also. Could it be the weather? Winter and dampness has revisited my area so I'm not sure, but I'm not at all comfortable. I hope you feel better. Perhaps the cast put your foot in a strained positon and once the cast is removed things will get better.take care-dfeet

ChrisO on 4/13/00 at 00:00 (018682)

Hi Laurie - About that cast, I had one on the worst of my two PF feet for three weeks. Honestly, It created a whole new 'itis' (or it exasperated one created by a too-rigid orthotic) and I was really unhappy about that. In fact, now that I'm progressively getting the PF under control, the more debilitating 'itis' is the new one! Plus, if there is a cast on ONE PF foot, then the OTHER PF foot just takes more abuse! a catch-22, so to speak. Hope your cast-treatment works better than mine did.

wendyn on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018660)

Laurie, I am sorry to hear that things continue to go downhill for you. I don't know why the cast worked for the first two weeks but I think you've probably exhausted everything that this podiatrist can do for you. I know you like him - but maybe it's time to request a referral to a neurologist because your feet don't seem to be responding to anything he's tried.

As I recall, you've tried PT and a series of cortisone shots - as well as various forms of casting. You've rested and done everything you can to be a good little patient (much more cooperative than some of us).

I'm not a doctor and I don't know much about feet but enough to know that I don't think it's right you're still having so much pain. Bring up the idea of a neurologist if you think it might be the next logical step - I think you're certainly entitled to another opinion after this much time and this much pain.

Now that I think about it- didn't a neurologist do your nerve conduction tests? The jerk? Did he have any other ideas on what's happening? Maybe you can see a different type of doctor?

I hope your podiatrist has some ideas for you....let us know.

dfeet on 4/12/00 at 00:00 (018662)

Hi, Laurie. I'm sorry to hear you're not doing well. I agree with wendyn. Perhaps you should seek out another doc. I'm seeing an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in foot and ankle. I remember you having both PF and TTS. I have both also and i can only say I take one day at a time. Lately, I'm never pain free, although, the degree varies. This has not been a good week for me also. Could it be the weather? Winter and dampness has revisited my area so I'm not sure, but I'm not at all comfortable. I hope you feel better. Perhaps the cast put your foot in a strained positon and once the cast is removed things will get better.take care-dfeet

ChrisO on 4/13/00 at 00:00 (018682)

Hi Laurie - About that cast, I had one on the worst of my two PF feet for three weeks. Honestly, It created a whole new 'itis' (or it exasperated one created by a too-rigid orthotic) and I was really unhappy about that. In fact, now that I'm progressively getting the PF under control, the more debilitating 'itis' is the new one! Plus, if there is a cast on ONE PF foot, then the OTHER PF foot just takes more abuse! a catch-22, so to speak. Hope your cast-treatment works better than mine did.