Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

First Podiastrist Appt.... long, sorry...

Posted by Elise M. on 4/13/00 at 00:00 (018666)

Hi all,
Up until this point, I have been tending to my PF with my primary care physician and all the info from this PF site. My pain level went from 10+ to a 1-2 on most days. I have a very strenuous 9 weeks coming up this summer where I'll be on my feet for most of the day so I thought I'd finally give in and see a foot doctor and see if he had anything to add to my regimen. He walked in the door minus a personality and gave me a cursory exam. Donning his gloves,he touched my foot exactly where it hurts and then exclaimed 'Well, the first thing we do is give you a shot of Cortisone' to which I replied, 'No, that will be the last thing we try'. I think I caught him off guard. After enlightening him with the facts I've gotten from this site, he knew he was dealing with someone who has done their homework. Only then did his personality perk up a bit and we were able to discuss treatment options, additional methods, etc. When he thought I was just some lay person, he talked to me like I was a moron. When he found out that I am a Nurse Manager, he talked with me like I was a professional. Its sad that that would change his approach and treatment(it makes me feel sorry for his lay people patients.) WE decided to try phonophoresis 3X/week for two weeks, he installed a new arch support into my shoes which already seems to be helping. I was surprised when he said that bike riding (I use my stationary bike during the winters) would only aggravate my PF but I explained to him that I use the heel of my foot to pedal and that it was a recommended alternate exercise by most PF sufferers as was swimmiing. He said that my '9 week marathon' would be impossible for me to finish. I intend to prove him wrong. This Dr. seemed more depressed than I am about foot problems. I asked him what made him go into Podiatry as a profession. His reply was ' Well, it seemed to be the thing to do at the time'. Does this sound like someone who's genuinely interested in his job? I think not. Point being, if you go to someone who only makes you feel worse physically, emotionally or mentally..GO TO SOMEONE ELSE.
As far as losing weight, I've lost 13 lbs in about two weeks on a prep I got from GNC called Thyrolean. It reportedly keeps your metabolism at an increased level all day. This in conjunction with a low-fat/low carb diet and 6 miles of bike riding every other day/weight lifting every other day has helped me shed some of the weight I've gained over a year since PF set in. Thyrolean is currently on sale (Buy one/get one free) for $29.95.
A special thank you to everyone here who has helped me help myself................Feel better...........Elise

Re: First Podiastrist Appt.... long, sorry...

alan k on 4/13/00 at 00:00 (018668)

Good for you!

One thing about the exercise bike is that different people have reported different things. I would heed his advice about the bike in so far as being on the look out for aggravation. If it's there, stop. It was for me (after stupidly spending $600 on a stationary bike without asking anyone here first). Later however I got better by other exercises and now can use the bike. Then, a few days ago I walked for hours straight on cold chicago pavements and now I won't use the bike for a few days because I am back to radical rest for a while. So generally you have to go by experience and use peoples' warnings to help you know what to look out for.

I wonder if fat-pad atrophy is associated with phonophoresis, since some say it is with cortisone shots. Phonophoresis is hydrocortisone driven by ultrasound into the tissue. Sometimes it is a good idea to rule out stress fractures prior to phonophoresis since the ultrasound would not be good for the fracture if there is one. I hope I am not making you paranoid-- just adding info. I think phonphoresis helped me slightly with a chronic, atypical case and has helped lots of people with classic symptoms.

alan k

alan k

alan k

Re: First Podiastrist Appt.... long, sorry......Reply to Alan

Elise M. on 4/13/00 at 00:00 (018670)

Hi Alan,
Thanks for responding. I understand phonophoresis. He doesn't want to do xrays to r/o stress fractures. He's reluctant to do much of anything short of what I posted. I will have to ask him about a topical analgesic called Emlar. They use it now in patch form to give kids injections. I've seen it used for cosmetology and sometimes for tatooes. It might be better getting a shot if the outside skin is anesthetised first. He did tell me that the shot would 'hurt like hell' but after the first three minutes, the analgesic in the injection would take effect. Then within six hours it would wear off and be uncomfortable for a few days. Honestly, I'm not in that much pain that I'd want to do something to have more pain, at least not now...........See ya !!......................Elise

alan k on 4/13/00 at 00:00 (018673)

so you are thinking of having a shot after all? I had two in the tarsal tunnel and the topical analgesic was more than enough to make it completely painless. But that is another region of the foot. Maybe the phonophoresis first is a good idea before contemplating the shot.
But there are some people who disagree and have a great time with shots.

alan k

Re: First Podiastrist Appt.... Yay Elise

Nancy S. on 4/13/00 at 00:00 (018675)

Three cheers for you, Elise! Sounds like you handled that turkey just right. (And you made me laugh with 'he walked in the door minus a personality.') I think that Maine must not grow good podiatrists, don't you? You did a great job at your appt., and thank you for posting it, especially for people who haven't been to the foot doctor yet and will benefit from your description of an educated patient (you) in action. Of course we always hope people will encounter a good doctor the first time -- I wonder how often that happens. --Nancy

sherri mc on 4/13/00 at 00:00 (018676)

Elise,

Does the Thyrolean make you feel jittery?

Re: First Podiastrist Appt.... long, sorry... Reply about Thyrolean

Elise M. on 4/13/00 at 00:00 (018683)

Hi Sherri,
No it doesn't make you jittery at all. No caffeine, ephedrine, ma huang or any of those other ingredients that stimulate. Try some, I think you might find it helps. I know it did for me.........Elise

dfeet on 4/13/00 at 00:00 (018690)

Injections. Well, I can only say they only provided me with about one week of relief. I had three PF injections and two TTS injections. All of which lasted between two days and one week. My former pod swore by them, yet my current orthopod cautioned that especially if they are not providing about one month or so of relief, the injection is contraindicated-also the risks of damage to the surrounding soft tissue are contraindicative to multiple injections in and around the same sites.

Re: First Podiastrist Appt.... .Reply to All of the above

Elise M. on 4/14/00 at 00:00 (018701)

Hi all,
Thanks for all the replies. I firmly believe that experience is the best teacher. Everyone who's had shots and thought that it really didn't help and wasn't worth the pain, thank you for going there and relaying your experience. I wonder if ANY of these Doctors have had the treatments that they recommend or the pain. If they had, their approach might be different, ya think? Feel better..........Elise

Kim B. on 4/14/00 at 00:00 (018718)

Hi Elise,

My Orthopedist mentioned that he had a bout with PF/heel spurs, so, he is aware of how painful it can be. In his case, the pain spontaiously went away after about six months, so I get the impression he muddeled through and never felt the extreem desperation that many people here (myself anyway) feel at times. I think his was worse in the morning, but got better as the day went on. What a lucky break. I would trade just morning pain, for the all day-worse the more I'm on them kind - anyday.

He has never pushed the idea of shots on me. He is very conservative in his approach where that is concerned. He has indicated that if I ever decide to give it a try, he will perform, but that it's a shot in the dark, so to speak. He seems to feel that it can help jumpstart he heeling process, for some people at least.

Regards, Kim B.

Lori R. on 4/16/00 at 00:00 (018767)

any one know of a good podiatrist in NYC?

alan k on 4/13/00 at 00:00 (018668)

Good for you!

One thing about the exercise bike is that different people have reported different things. I would heed his advice about the bike in so far as being on the look out for aggravation. If it's there, stop. It was for me (after stupidly spending $600 on a stationary bike without asking anyone here first). Later however I got better by other exercises and now can use the bike. Then, a few days ago I walked for hours straight on cold chicago pavements and now I won't use the bike for a few days because I am back to radical rest for a while. So generally you have to go by experience and use peoples' warnings to help you know what to look out for.

I wonder if fat-pad atrophy is associated with phonophoresis, since some say it is with cortisone shots. Phonophoresis is hydrocortisone driven by ultrasound into the tissue. Sometimes it is a good idea to rule out stress fractures prior to phonophoresis since the ultrasound would not be good for the fracture if there is one. I hope I am not making you paranoid-- just adding info. I think phonphoresis helped me slightly with a chronic, atypical case and has helped lots of people with classic symptoms.

alan k

alan k

alan k

Elise M. on 4/13/00 at 00:00 (018670)

Hi Alan,
Thanks for responding. I understand phonophoresis. He doesn't want to do xrays to r/o stress fractures. He's reluctant to do much of anything short of what I posted. I will have to ask him about a topical analgesic called Emlar. They use it now in patch form to give kids injections. I've seen it used for cosmetology and sometimes for tatooes. It might be better getting a shot if the outside skin is anesthetised first. He did tell me that the shot would 'hurt like hell' but after the first three minutes, the analgesic in the injection would take effect. Then within six hours it would wear off and be uncomfortable for a few days. Honestly, I'm not in that much pain that I'd want to do something to have more pain, at least not now...........See ya !!......................Elise

alan k on 4/13/00 at 00:00 (018673)

so you are thinking of having a shot after all? I had two in the tarsal tunnel and the topical analgesic was more than enough to make it completely painless. But that is another region of the foot. Maybe the phonophoresis first is a good idea before contemplating the shot.
But there are some people who disagree and have a great time with shots.

alan k

Re: First Podiastrist Appt.... Yay Elise

Nancy S. on 4/13/00 at 00:00 (018675)

Three cheers for you, Elise! Sounds like you handled that turkey just right. (And you made me laugh with 'he walked in the door minus a personality.') I think that Maine must not grow good podiatrists, don't you? You did a great job at your appt., and thank you for posting it, especially for people who haven't been to the foot doctor yet and will benefit from your description of an educated patient (you) in action. Of course we always hope people will encounter a good doctor the first time -- I wonder how often that happens. --Nancy

sherri mc on 4/13/00 at 00:00 (018676)

Elise,

Does the Thyrolean make you feel jittery?

Re: First Podiastrist Appt.... long, sorry... Reply about Thyrolean

Elise M. on 4/13/00 at 00:00 (018683)

Hi Sherri,
No it doesn't make you jittery at all. No caffeine, ephedrine, ma huang or any of those other ingredients that stimulate. Try some, I think you might find it helps. I know it did for me.........Elise

dfeet on 4/13/00 at 00:00 (018690)

Injections. Well, I can only say they only provided me with about one week of relief. I had three PF injections and two TTS injections. All of which lasted between two days and one week. My former pod swore by them, yet my current orthopod cautioned that especially if they are not providing about one month or so of relief, the injection is contraindicated-also the risks of damage to the surrounding soft tissue are contraindicative to multiple injections in and around the same sites.

Elise M. on 4/14/00 at 00:00 (018701)

Hi all,
Thanks for all the replies. I firmly believe that experience is the best teacher. Everyone who's had shots and thought that it really didn't help and wasn't worth the pain, thank you for going there and relaying your experience. I wonder if ANY of these Doctors have had the treatments that they recommend or the pain. If they had, their approach might be different, ya think? Feel better..........Elise

Kim B. on 4/14/00 at 00:00 (018718)

Hi Elise,

My Orthopedist mentioned that he had a bout with PF/heel spurs, so, he is aware of how painful it can be. In his case, the pain spontaiously went away after about six months, so I get the impression he muddeled through and never felt the extreem desperation that many people here (myself anyway) feel at times. I think his was worse in the morning, but got better as the day went on. What a lucky break. I would trade just morning pain, for the all day-worse the more I'm on them kind - anyday.

He has never pushed the idea of shots on me. He is very conservative in his approach where that is concerned. He has indicated that if I ever decide to give it a try, he will perform, but that it's a shot in the dark, so to speak. He seems to feel that it can help jumpstart he heeling process, for some people at least.

Regards, Kim B.

Lori R. on 4/16/00 at 00:00 (018767)

any one know of a good podiatrist in NYC?