Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Robin and others using Bromelain

Posted by VickiJ on 4/13/00 at 00:00 (018679)

...especially to those who have been using it for several months:
do any of you have osteo arthritis in hands, or wherever? Does it help with that also? I have minor osteo in my hand and am wondering if it will help with both my pf and my hand. Anybody have any report on this?

Re: To Robin and others using Bromelain

Robin B. on 4/13/00 at 00:00 (018684)

Vicki, I have osteo arthritis in both my hands and feet -- officially diagnosed, and with the discomfort to prove it. I can't say for sure that the bromelain helps -- but I THINK it does, a little anyway. I was having lots of trouble with my hands especially during the winter and spring of 1999. I started bromelain in July 1999. I have considerably less discomfort in my hands, and I almost never get any puffiness in them (which I did previously, although the docs have told me that puffiness is not a major symptom of osteo) anymore. I still have twinges in my toes sometimes (but after PF, I'm so used to pain in my feet that little arthritic twinges aren't so horrible). I look at bromelain this way: I'm taking it to reduce inflammation of PF. If it reduces any other inflammation at the same time, all the better.

One thing I like about bromelain (aside from its anti-inflammatory effect)is that it truly is a pretty harmless, non-invasive thing to try. It's an enzyme, after all, non Rx, no known gastro-intestinal or other complications. If you try it and after a few weeks or a month see some benefit -- great. If you don't -- it's not likely to harm you and it's not outrageously expensive to try.

Re: To Robin and others using Bromelain-Proof

Bea K on 4/13/00 at 00:00 (018689)

I have been using Bromelain for about 6 months, prior to that I took Glucosomine for 2 years and very little improvement. I stopped the glucosomine and didn't notice the difference. I started the Bromelain and it did help but I ran out and didn't have a chance to replenish for four days. All of a sudden back came the pain and discomfort I had forgotten about. I ran to the health food store and once again am doing better. I too have osteo arthritus but don't notice any relief from the Bromelain.

YokoS on 4/14/00 at 00:00 (018708)

Arthritis test was negative but I have been noticed puffiness and discomfort of joints(index and middle fingers on both hand) for years. After I learned of Glucosomine and Bromelain on this board last summer, I start taking those. I have never considered of my joints puffiness at that time. I just want to get relief of my heel pain, and tried every possible treatments from this board.
Now (7 months later) all puffiness and discomfort are gone.
I did so many other treatments on heel since then, therefore,
I don't know Bromelain was worked on my heel or not.

john h on 4/14/00 at 00:00 (018709)

my wife has had osteoarthrits and i think some RA in both hands for many years. her hands make me ache just to look at them. about 6 years ago she quit taking all inflamatories and went on a regimen of fish oil, vitamins E,C,Zinc and a multi vitimin. she also swims 3 days a week. her hands do not look great but she has very little pain. I think her rhematologist recommended the fish oil.

VickiJ on 4/14/00 at 00:00 (018720)

Interesting...I'm taking all of those too...how much of each does she take daily?

Robin B. on 4/13/00 at 00:00 (018684)

Vicki, I have osteo arthritis in both my hands and feet -- officially diagnosed, and with the discomfort to prove it. I can't say for sure that the bromelain helps -- but I THINK it does, a little anyway. I was having lots of trouble with my hands especially during the winter and spring of 1999. I started bromelain in July 1999. I have considerably less discomfort in my hands, and I almost never get any puffiness in them (which I did previously, although the docs have told me that puffiness is not a major symptom of osteo) anymore. I still have twinges in my toes sometimes (but after PF, I'm so used to pain in my feet that little arthritic twinges aren't so horrible). I look at bromelain this way: I'm taking it to reduce inflammation of PF. If it reduces any other inflammation at the same time, all the better.

One thing I like about bromelain (aside from its anti-inflammatory effect)is that it truly is a pretty harmless, non-invasive thing to try. It's an enzyme, after all, non Rx, no known gastro-intestinal or other complications. If you try it and after a few weeks or a month see some benefit -- great. If you don't -- it's not likely to harm you and it's not outrageously expensive to try.

Re: To Robin and others using Bromelain-Proof

Bea K on 4/13/00 at 00:00 (018689)

I have been using Bromelain for about 6 months, prior to that I took Glucosomine for 2 years and very little improvement. I stopped the glucosomine and didn't notice the difference. I started the Bromelain and it did help but I ran out and didn't have a chance to replenish for four days. All of a sudden back came the pain and discomfort I had forgotten about. I ran to the health food store and once again am doing better. I too have osteo arthritus but don't notice any relief from the Bromelain.

YokoS on 4/14/00 at 00:00 (018708)

Arthritis test was negative but I have been noticed puffiness and discomfort of joints(index and middle fingers on both hand) for years. After I learned of Glucosomine and Bromelain on this board last summer, I start taking those. I have never considered of my joints puffiness at that time. I just want to get relief of my heel pain, and tried every possible treatments from this board.
Now (7 months later) all puffiness and discomfort are gone.
I did so many other treatments on heel since then, therefore,
I don't know Bromelain was worked on my heel or not.

john h on 4/14/00 at 00:00 (018709)

my wife has had osteoarthrits and i think some RA in both hands for many years. her hands make me ache just to look at them. about 6 years ago she quit taking all inflamatories and went on a regimen of fish oil, vitamins E,C,Zinc and a multi vitimin. she also swims 3 days a week. her hands do not look great but she has very little pain. I think her rhematologist recommended the fish oil.

VickiJ on 4/14/00 at 00:00 (018720)

Interesting...I'm taking all of those too...how much of each does she take daily?