Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Sorry, didnt make myself clear

Posted by Marti C on 4/15/00 at 00:00 (018745)

Hello again,
What I did differently, was to wear my Birks while riding the bike. I had been doing fine walking my 20mins in my rigid orthotics. In addition to heel pain, arch pain, stabbing pain in my heels I have now developed pain along the outside of my feet.Iam assuming the pain is from wearing the Birks while riding the bike, since I had been doing so well. Thanks so much for the encouragement.
Marti

Re: Sorry, didnt make myself clear

alan k on 4/16/00 at 00:00 (018770)

I don't know if walking so much is the best way to exercise especially if bike riding is no good for you. I too am in a set-back phase also right now (due to walking around 3-4 hours straight on cold hard pavement), though nothing too serious. I figure it is worth it for the info I get about what not to do. Also, I have had lingering doubts about a diagnosis but now I am sure I have pf. Also, the set-back allows me to get a second look at my therapies when they are operating on a different stage of the affliction. So far so good.
I hope you gathered the right info from your set-back. Trouble is is it's hard to tell what it really was unless, for instance, you just suddenly wore your birks while biking one day and subsequently were in pain. I wear birks while bike riding but perhaps I shouldn't (I don't do alot). How do you know it was the birks? Were you not using them all along while biking? How do you know it wasn't the walking and/or orthotics?

Sorry to hound you but as long as you and I are having a set-back we might as well make the most of it.

alan k

dfeet on 4/16/00 at 00:00 (018791)

Sorry to hear about your set back, Marti. What an insidious condition!! It is always so frustrating when you see the glimmer of hope, and then SLAM. I just had a long talk with my PT-last week was a bad week for me. Alan is right to try to learn as much as you can from the set back. Try to take comfort in the fact that you are providing great info for so many other people. Hang in there. Feel better.-dfeet

Re: Sorry, didnt make myself clear/alan??

Marti C on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018807)

alan,
thanks, I dont know what caused. I had never biked with my birks before, but I had also been walking for only about a month. Its hard to say, but Im going to seriously consider the pilates at this point. Just trying to break the news to my husband slowly. Are you still using yours? Do you still do other types of excercise in additon to the pilates? Thanks
Marti

alan k on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018809)

Yes I still do the pilates-- but can only recommend it as a total body workout that is easy, fun, effective and non-weight bearing (you can do it all sitting or lying on your back without involving the feet, or you can do foot exercises and adjust the resistance to whatever you want). As a foot reformer specifically, a few anecdotes are not enough to justify the high price. But as a total body machine I can recommend it highly. If you do use it for feet you should use theraband to exercise opposing muscles on the top of your feet, or simply take some kind of strap or rope and tie it to a couch leg, then sitting on butt with leg extended, loop strap or rope around foot and flex against its resistance. There are more isometric exercises which can be done to isolate the muscles but they are difficult to describe here. One is standing facing the wall with one leg extended back, feet pointed with top of foot facing the floor, sole facing the ceiling. Press top of foot against the floor. Do with the big toe facing squarely and heel straight up, and do with feet/heel rolled out with four toes squarely on floor.

These you can and should do without any investment.

hope this helps,

alan k

alan k on 4/16/00 at 00:00 (018770)

I don't know if walking so much is the best way to exercise especially if bike riding is no good for you. I too am in a set-back phase also right now (due to walking around 3-4 hours straight on cold hard pavement), though nothing too serious. I figure it is worth it for the info I get about what not to do. Also, I have had lingering doubts about a diagnosis but now I am sure I have pf. Also, the set-back allows me to get a second look at my therapies when they are operating on a different stage of the affliction. So far so good.
I hope you gathered the right info from your set-back. Trouble is is it's hard to tell what it really was unless, for instance, you just suddenly wore your birks while biking one day and subsequently were in pain. I wear birks while bike riding but perhaps I shouldn't (I don't do alot). How do you know it was the birks? Were you not using them all along while biking? How do you know it wasn't the walking and/or orthotics?

Sorry to hound you but as long as you and I are having a set-back we might as well make the most of it.

alan k

dfeet on 4/16/00 at 00:00 (018791)

Sorry to hear about your set back, Marti. What an insidious condition!! It is always so frustrating when you see the glimmer of hope, and then SLAM. I just had a long talk with my PT-last week was a bad week for me. Alan is right to try to learn as much as you can from the set back. Try to take comfort in the fact that you are providing great info for so many other people. Hang in there. Feel better.-dfeet

Marti C on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018807)

alan,
thanks, I dont know what caused. I had never biked with my birks before, but I had also been walking for only about a month. Its hard to say, but Im going to seriously consider the pilates at this point. Just trying to break the news to my husband slowly. Are you still using yours? Do you still do other types of excercise in additon to the pilates? Thanks
Marti

alan k on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018809)

Yes I still do the pilates-- but can only recommend it as a total body workout that is easy, fun, effective and non-weight bearing (you can do it all sitting or lying on your back without involving the feet, or you can do foot exercises and adjust the resistance to whatever you want). As a foot reformer specifically, a few anecdotes are not enough to justify the high price. But as a total body machine I can recommend it highly. If you do use it for feet you should use theraband to exercise opposing muscles on the top of your feet, or simply take some kind of strap or rope and tie it to a couch leg, then sitting on butt with leg extended, loop strap or rope around foot and flex against its resistance. There are more isometric exercises which can be done to isolate the muscles but they are difficult to describe here. One is standing facing the wall with one leg extended back, feet pointed with top of foot facing the floor, sole facing the ceiling. Press top of foot against the floor. Do with the big toe facing squarely and heel straight up, and do with feet/heel rolled out with four toes squarely on floor.

These you can and should do without any investment.

hope this helps,

alan k