Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Theraband (long, sorry)

Posted by alan k on 4/16/00 at 00:00 (018769)

Sorry to hound you while you are having a cold. I really appreciate your efforts. That makes a lot of sense-- so you are saying that you should use the theraband but after using it, say, for plantar flexion, you should then remove it and point your feet to their extreme and apply resistance?

I had a question also: if the resistance is greater at the end range then aren't you getting a good workout at that end range since the resistance is greater there? Of course, if you are not actually reaching the end range because the resistance is too great than that wouldn't do. But if you do get to the end range of motion, then wouldn't the increased resistance at the end help avoid your getting a pot-belly muscle? Or are you only refering to that end of the range where the exercise begins (and there is less resistance).

Theraband has such a good reputation for rehabilitation and is so widely used by professinal physical therapists, and so also Pilates rehab machines, and I have been having good luck with these and similar devices so I am really curious. Everything you say makes sense though.

alan k

BJC on 4/16/00 at 00:00 (018774)

Yes, I also agree with what you said! My point was only to say that you may not get to the end ranges if there is too much resistance. You sound like you have a good understanding of exercise, but many people (not necessarily from this board) do not. When the resistance becomes too great, they may compensate in ways that would encourage other abnormal patterns to develop. That's a very common thing. I had to laugh when Nancy said that her husband assumed her foot hurt when she was limping, and it thought it was just habit. I do the same thing myself, and really have to watch my 'overprotection' in my gait.

alan k on 4/16/00 at 00:00 (018776)

thanks BJC,

hope you are feeling better soon.

alan k

BJC on 4/16/00 at 00:00 (018774)

Yes, I also agree with what you said! My point was only to say that you may not get to the end ranges if there is too much resistance. You sound like you have a good understanding of exercise, but many people (not necessarily from this board) do not. When the resistance becomes too great, they may compensate in ways that would encourage other abnormal patterns to develop. That's a very common thing. I had to laugh when Nancy said that her husband assumed her foot hurt when she was limping, and it thought it was just habit. I do the same thing myself, and really have to watch my 'overprotection' in my gait.

alan k on 4/16/00 at 00:00 (018776)

thanks BJC,

hope you are feeling better soon.

alan k