Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

careful with horse medicine

Posted by alan k on 4/16/00 at 00:00 (018772)

Capsaicin cremes are available for humans in any drugstore and should be, I think, one's first choice. Check the label to see what the other ingredients are. Is there DMSO? This is sometimes used on horses and will reduce swelling dramatically and also works to drive any other medicine deep into the tissue. Only problem is is that it may be toxic and may be very dangerous. Do a search on DMSO on this message board and you will find some vigorous warnings.

If it is just capcsaicin, great! What is the %? I am curious to compare with OTC drugstore capsaicin. One important warning about capsiacin in any form is that you have to use it consistently. The body adjusts to its irritating qualities as part of the healing but if it is on again, off again then you may just be irritating it over and over rather than fostering the adjustment. Obviously it is helping you, but just remember to keep it up without skipping an application. (This is something my stupid doctor told me, so if he was aware of it it must be very, very important)

My Thai mother-in-law swears by the traditional Thai herbal cure for foot pain: stepping on steamed, crushed Thai chilis (capsaicin!).

alan k

Re: careful with horse medicine

Kathy on 4/16/00 at 00:00 (018777)

Alan,
The Equi-block doesn't contain DMSO but if you have any further questions there web address is http://www.donalex.com
Like I said I was very hesitant to post but wanted to share what has given me some relief.
Kathy

alan k on 4/16/00 at 00:00 (018785)

looks interesting and like I say, capsaicin is also a traditional herbal medicine in Thailand.

I copied this text from their site because it seemed the most relevant:

HOOFS
In most instances, hoof pain can be totally eliminated using the following method. Initially it will require 2 applications per day for 3 to 5 consecutive days before maximum results are achieved. After which time, depending on the severity, it may only be necessary to apply once per day.

john h on 4/16/00 at 00:00 (018792)

you better be prepared for some very hot hot feet when your feet start prespiring using capascin. you will want to jump in a lake.

Kathy on 4/16/00 at 00:00 (018777)

Alan,
The Equi-block doesn't contain DMSO but if you have any further questions there web address is http://www.donalex.com
Like I said I was very hesitant to post but wanted to share what has given me some relief.
Kathy

alan k on 4/16/00 at 00:00 (018785)

looks interesting and like I say, capsaicin is also a traditional herbal medicine in Thailand.

I copied this text from their site because it seemed the most relevant:

HOOFS
In most instances, hoof pain can be totally eliminated using the following method. Initially it will require 2 applications per day for 3 to 5 consecutive days before maximum results are achieved. After which time, depending on the severity, it may only be necessary to apply once per day.

john h on 4/16/00 at 00:00 (018792)

you better be prepared for some very hot hot feet when your feet start prespiring using capascin. you will want to jump in a lake.