Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My foot keeps relapsing despite diligence. Help!

Posted by Beverly Bennett on 4/16/00 at 00:00 (018783)

I've had this for about a month. I am forty, female, a little overweight - about 20lbs. This started when I began an exercise program for the first time in years. I was and still am very motivated. While walking on an indoor track in what I now know were poor sneakers, I developed Plantar Facisis in my right foot. I went to foot doc. He gave me inexpensive inserts, sent me to an old fashioned athletic shoe store where the sales people know how to fit your feet for proper running shoes, and he said switch to stationary bike or pool & no weight against resistance on machines in regards to foot. He also sent me to Ph. Therapy for three weeks, where I was given stretching exercises, ultrasound, and encouraged to use ice. I saw much improvement. The new shoes, inserts, and stretches made a big difference.

I began to feel much better. (In my case, I had injured/strained but not torn the Plantar F.). Then I went to the mall. I came home in PAIN. I rested it for a couple of days...did my stretches... felt better. But after another short trip of errands, where I had to stand in line a long time, it returned. Standing still in a line is much worse than walking. Now, I'm back in pain and its worse than before. Every time I leave the house even for a short errand it is agony. I had been doing my stretches & gentle massage, which helped alot before, but because it feels like it's moving into my achilles tendon, I've stopped doing the stretches for awhile. I don't know if that will make tendon worse. To make matters worse, now my 'good' foot is getting Plantar F. My achilles tendon is only somewhat sore. Do I keep doing the stretches or will that hurt the achilles tendon? I'm talking about strectches done in bed, not the ones against the wall. I'm also spending this weekend with my foot elevated, on ice. My work is mostly sitting; so I'm not on my feet alot. Despite what I've read, it hurts less around the house barefooted than in shoes.
I'm very frustrated. I've lost weight and want to resume full exercise-at least walking on the treadmill and enjoying a day at the mall! Also, are there any sandals besides Birkenstocks that give good enough support? The doc said avoid flats, but I'm wondering about Rockports and the sports walking sandals that have what at least looks like support. I have high arches and a narrow foot.
Beverly Bennett

Re: My foot keeps relapsing despite diligence. Help!

alan k on 4/16/00 at 00:00 (018786)

It seems rest will do you a lot of good. Do not go to the mall or repeat anything which you suspect causes you trouble. Accept your predicament. That is the thing that will make you better: you have to accept that your life cannot be the same until at least a few months after you 'feel' 100%. Beware of becoming a long term sufferer by not taking it serious enough now.

Birks are worth a try even though they have a flat sole, but others on the board know good alternatives.

Try massaging the calves more than stretching if it is causing you problems. You can try gently stretching without holding until you get to a point one day when stretching longer seems to cause no other problems.

good luck!

alan k

Re: My foot keeps relapsing despite diligence. Help!

alan k on 4/16/00 at 00:00 (018786)

It seems rest will do you a lot of good. Do not go to the mall or repeat anything which you suspect causes you trouble. Accept your predicament. That is the thing that will make you better: you have to accept that your life cannot be the same until at least a few months after you 'feel' 100%. Beware of becoming a long term sufferer by not taking it serious enough now.

Birks are worth a try even though they have a flat sole, but others on the board know good alternatives.

Try massaging the calves more than stretching if it is causing you problems. You can try gently stretching without holding until you get to a point one day when stretching longer seems to cause no other problems.

good luck!

alan k