Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

rigid orthotics and tts: modification to my position

Posted by alan k on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018810)

I too developed tts while wearing rigid orthotics, as I have posted frequently. I have a modification to my position and that is that my wife, for experimental reasons, has also decided to check out the medical profession and is doing the same round of doctors that I did (though not buying orthotics), even though she only has barely perceptible traces of pf left, only once in a few weeks, since we came down with it a year ago. She is doing Thai massage and stretching with success, but wants to compare.

Anyway, she has now been diagnosed with tts and pf, just like me, but has never had orthotics. She has a tinnel's sign as do I, even though both of us have no tts pain or tingling. My explanation is that in our cases of pf and in others, tts is a possibility that can come on in association with the pf. Rigid orthotics can tap into that possibility and make it a reality, but they may not be the only cause of it. In my wife and my cases we locate a cause in calf muscles with too much tension in the at-rest state, and micro-spasms in the fibers, leading to an over-stressed plantar fascia and surrounding muscle, tendon and ligament in the tarsal tunnel area. I recommend people target this with, at the very least, self-massage on the calves and gentle stretching (in accordance with the state of health of the muscles and fascia). That can help with the long-term prognosis and with easing one of the underlying causes (beware of claims about THE underlying cause-- what does 'underlying' mean anyway-- does one cause actually lie under another or is it a metaphor which sounds convincing until you look at it closely). We believe there are many factors involved-- from diet to mental attitude to muscle mechanics to lifestyle etc.-- and one can and should work with all of them. For instance, if a tree falls on a house you can remove the source of the damage, the tree, but that won't necessarily undo the damage to the house. Perhaps in some cases surgery is the way to repair the damage, for instance. I am not recommending it but just saying that we have to keep our minds and options open.

alan k

Re: rigid orthotics and tts: modification to my position

dfeet on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018835)

You're right, alan. I must keep all options open-even if it means surgery. I do agree that TTS is multi-factorial in its cause, although mine strongly coordinated with the wearing of the rigid orthotics. Prior to wearing them I had no signs of TTS, and I only had PF symptoms in one foot. I'm certain every case is different-such as your wife's. Yes, I do have very developed calves, but I've been very active for a very long time without incidence. I was always a big proponent of warm-ups before doing any activity-stretching, keeping muscles warm,etc. My back began to bother me also with the wearing of the rigid orthotics-they seem to have thrown my entire body alignment 'off'. Just theorizing, but some strong evidence or just coincidence? I'm not sure. -dfeet

Re: rigid orthotics and tts: modification to my position

dfeet on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018835)

You're right, alan. I must keep all options open-even if it means surgery. I do agree that TTS is multi-factorial in its cause, although mine strongly coordinated with the wearing of the rigid orthotics. Prior to wearing them I had no signs of TTS, and I only had PF symptoms in one foot. I'm certain every case is different-such as your wife's. Yes, I do have very developed calves, but I've been very active for a very long time without incidence. I was always a big proponent of warm-ups before doing any activity-stretching, keeping muscles warm,etc. My back began to bother me also with the wearing of the rigid orthotics-they seem to have thrown my entire body alignment 'off'. Just theorizing, but some strong evidence or just coincidence? I'm not sure. -dfeet