Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

any atypical sufferers still out there?

Posted by alan k on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018812)

I was wondering if there still were any people who never got distinct morning pain or sharp stabbing pain but only general achiness and pain building the longer one is on ones feet. Recently recovered or not. There used to be some here but it seems I am the last one left, or am I forgetting who is who.

alan k

Re: any atypical sufferers still out there?

wendyn on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018813)

Alan - do you mean those of us that also have other feet problems etc? I have TTS, I rarely have problems with PF any more - so no...you are not alone. Are you feeling lonely? :)

Helene M on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018814)

I have atypical pain. I have no morning pain. My pain builds as the day goes on. My pain is in the arches, not the heels, which I believe is also atypical.

Beth D. on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018815)

Hi Alan and all the other atypical sufferers out there!

I am atypical. My pain builds as the day goes on. I've been diagnosed with tarsal tunnel, pf, and posterior tibial tendonitis. I'm doing 4 months of physical thereapy right now and trying to figure out arch supports and shoes that don't hurt. My Birks are irritating the joint in my big toe-from the toe gripping.

Marti, one day I tried biking in my birks and had to quit after 4 minutes. It felt like I was too far away from the pedals and I was stretching to reach the pedals. I know you've got the big toe joint pain, too. Are you any better? The physical therapist gave me some mole skin to try taping to my rigid orthotics to make them better support. He also suggested bunion pads on the big toe to minimize the rubbing of the birk sandles.

Beth D.

Susan S on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018818)

I have the same symptoms, Helene! So there are at least two of us!

john h on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018822)

alan i have never had early morning pain (bi-laterial) just increasing pain as the day wears on. pain is generally localized in the area where the fascia attaches to the heel on the inside botom of the foot. my current approach which i started 3 days ago is to walk as little as possible, minor stretching, night splint, and good support for the acrch. i have good days and bad days and it is always about the same in both feet.

Stephanie S. on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018828)

Sorry guy...not atypical sufferer. Have ' classic' morning pain in
both heels. Try not to slam into the dresser every morning as I rise
from the bed. First few steps are horribly painful. The more I walk
.....the better they feel. Crazy,huh? If I stop and rest for a short
amount of time...such as 15 min to eat lunch...I pay for it dearly.
Pain comes back full force. If I stay on my feet...I'm doing Okay...
it's when I rest. Staying in my tennis shoes has helped alot. No more
cutey pie sandals for this housewife. Of course...it's not the kind
of fashion statement I'd like to be making...but oh,well. Speaking of... I've been sitting way too long at this computer. Not looking
forward to 'getting up'. Hope everyone's doing better. Steph

dfeet on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018838)

Hi, alan. Yes I too get that crescendo of pain , espcially building at night. I have terrible pain when I've put in a long day on my feet. It is more of the gnawing,'toothachy' type where you want to cut your feet off at the ankle.-dfeet

Melody on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018840)

I am like that now! Initially I had terrible morning pain which got better as I walked around. Since having a second steroid injection I am in pain all the time. I get up and my foot is very bad and then it just gets worse. By the evening yesterday I was crawling to bed. Am getting very depressed about it all now too!!

Mel

alan k on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018842)

No I'm not lonely (at least I think I'm not), just wondering because everyone who is describing symptoms lately is classic it seems. I guess that means I am lonely.

alan k

alan k on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018843)

I am not too depressed because its been a long time for me and getting better does wonders for your emotions. Sounds like you are orginally a classic pf person-- that's great since that will eventually clear up in most cases.

cheer up, even if it is hard, because it seems the break in the gloom is usually followed by progress in healing.

alan k

alan k on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018844)

I don't really ever get intense pain, but achy soreness which is only relieved by rest. I haven't pushed it that far in months except for a few days ago. Did you get morning pain?

alan k

alan k on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018845)

Yeah that sounds just like me. I forgot you were the same as me.

I haven't had that especially sore spot in months (except just recently after walking for hours on cold pavement) but it is just a little inside of center on the heel, probably the same spot as you. I hope we didn't get a virus or curse in Thailand.

Do you find nightsplints make it feel better? When my feet ache just stretching them out in the nightsplints is almost an instant relief, as though that was the position they really needed to be in.

alan k

Nancy S. on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018849)

I am classic, but sometimes I get lonely anyway.

Re: any atypical sufferers still out there?/ question

wyndyn on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018851)

Wendyn,
How did you get the TT diagnosis? I've seen a podiatrist and two orthopedic doctors. Don't really know which one really knows what is going on. All agree I have PF though, but have not gotten better after almost 2 years of effort.

Thanks

ChrisO on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018856)

Hi Alan -

Yes, I guess I am atypical but I didn't know that. My PF started with the classic heel pain, mornings etc. But that eventually became minimal, even in the AM, and the more demanding soreness is in the arch itself as a day wears on. I'm still wondering about fellow sufferers who have high, rigid arches.

john h on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018864)

alan if you are lonely then i presume you must be married. i never met a lonely bachleor in my life.

mss on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018880)

This sounds like the problem I have been dealing with. Inside of foot at the back of the arch, front of the heel. Most times it was very much at this one place, although I developed pain at the ball of my foot, across and down the arch, and then sharp pains down the sides of my foot. I have been in a boot for six weeks which has eliminated all 'complimentary' pain, and almost all at the one spot. I would have used a different word than that for the other pains. I will wear the boot for a couple more weeks while waiting for new orthotics. I think this is going to work, because I can now walk for a while with not of a problem. I did overdue it the other day and spent two days recovering to the point I was before.
'

Bob G. on 4/18/00 at 00:00 (018894)

Me and my feet have never been lonely. Except when I was married. (I am not against marraige).

alan k on 4/18/00 at 00:00 (018896)

I still haven't tried a boot. Is that a cam-walker or what?
Did you get morning pain?

alan

alan k on 4/18/00 at 00:00 (018899)

Yuk yuk. You have distinct sense of humor john h.

Actually I am not lonely in that sense, only feel like my feet are different than others, but actually yours and mine are similar and their are others. Just having a set-back. Only my second one in almost a year-- not bad. But it is a progressive set-back and seems to get a little worse everyday despite resting. I'll have to ride this one out. I am not discouraged, though, because I know how to make myself better.

I shouldn't have slacked off my regimen, not to mention walk for three hours straight.

alan k

dfeet on 4/18/00 at 00:00 (018922)

Alan, I really never had the classic morning pain associated with PF. I did have an acute episode of heel pain prior to developing the TTS symptoms, but that was when I ruptured the fascia. The TTS signs and symptoms developed coincidently/not so coincidently while wearing the rigid orthotics. Atypical? I'm not sure. But the heel pain as late has subsided and been substituted with the terrible soreness, gnawing , acheyness predominantly crescendo-ing at night. It is a vague pain that is not easily pinpointed to particular spots on my feet or ankles. Although, I still can elicit a positve Tinel's sign on both feet, and the pain is most prevalent when I've put in a long day on my feet. Also, the pain is also very connected to positioning of my feet,ie, especially when inverting or plantar-flexion. Do you have any of these things going on with you? I know you mentioned cramping before. Are you still experiencing cramping? Great open question about atypical pain-I've learned alot. Thank you for such insightful discussions-dfeet

mss on 4/18/00 at 00:00 (018928)

It is a different name, but it is a removeable soft cast, as some here have called it. It immobilizes the foot and ankle and allows rest of the hurting area. I never had real bad morning pain, sometimes the first few minutes of the day would be the best, then it would just get worse the more I walked.

wendyn on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018813)

Alan - do you mean those of us that also have other feet problems etc? I have TTS, I rarely have problems with PF any more - so no...you are not alone. Are you feeling lonely? :)

Helene M on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018814)

I have atypical pain. I have no morning pain. My pain builds as the day goes on. My pain is in the arches, not the heels, which I believe is also atypical.

Beth D. on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018815)

Hi Alan and all the other atypical sufferers out there!

I am atypical. My pain builds as the day goes on. I've been diagnosed with tarsal tunnel, pf, and posterior tibial tendonitis. I'm doing 4 months of physical thereapy right now and trying to figure out arch supports and shoes that don't hurt. My Birks are irritating the joint in my big toe-from the toe gripping.

Marti, one day I tried biking in my birks and had to quit after 4 minutes. It felt like I was too far away from the pedals and I was stretching to reach the pedals. I know you've got the big toe joint pain, too. Are you any better? The physical therapist gave me some mole skin to try taping to my rigid orthotics to make them better support. He also suggested bunion pads on the big toe to minimize the rubbing of the birk sandles.

Beth D.

Susan S on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018818)

I have the same symptoms, Helene! So there are at least two of us!

john h on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018822)

alan i have never had early morning pain (bi-laterial) just increasing pain as the day wears on. pain is generally localized in the area where the fascia attaches to the heel on the inside botom of the foot. my current approach which i started 3 days ago is to walk as little as possible, minor stretching, night splint, and good support for the acrch. i have good days and bad days and it is always about the same in both feet.

Stephanie S. on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018828)

Sorry guy...not atypical sufferer. Have ' classic' morning pain in
both heels. Try not to slam into the dresser every morning as I rise
from the bed. First few steps are horribly painful. The more I walk
.....the better they feel. Crazy,huh? If I stop and rest for a short
amount of time...such as 15 min to eat lunch...I pay for it dearly.
Pain comes back full force. If I stay on my feet...I'm doing Okay...
it's when I rest. Staying in my tennis shoes has helped alot. No more
cutey pie sandals for this housewife. Of course...it's not the kind
of fashion statement I'd like to be making...but oh,well. Speaking of... I've been sitting way too long at this computer. Not looking
forward to 'getting up'. Hope everyone's doing better. Steph

dfeet on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018838)

Hi, alan. Yes I too get that crescendo of pain , espcially building at night. I have terrible pain when I've put in a long day on my feet. It is more of the gnawing,'toothachy' type where you want to cut your feet off at the ankle.-dfeet

Melody on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018840)

I am like that now! Initially I had terrible morning pain which got better as I walked around. Since having a second steroid injection I am in pain all the time. I get up and my foot is very bad and then it just gets worse. By the evening yesterday I was crawling to bed. Am getting very depressed about it all now too!!

Mel

alan k on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018842)

No I'm not lonely (at least I think I'm not), just wondering because everyone who is describing symptoms lately is classic it seems. I guess that means I am lonely.

alan k

alan k on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018843)

I am not too depressed because its been a long time for me and getting better does wonders for your emotions. Sounds like you are orginally a classic pf person-- that's great since that will eventually clear up in most cases.

cheer up, even if it is hard, because it seems the break in the gloom is usually followed by progress in healing.

alan k

alan k on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018844)

I don't really ever get intense pain, but achy soreness which is only relieved by rest. I haven't pushed it that far in months except for a few days ago. Did you get morning pain?

alan k

alan k on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018845)

Yeah that sounds just like me. I forgot you were the same as me.

I haven't had that especially sore spot in months (except just recently after walking for hours on cold pavement) but it is just a little inside of center on the heel, probably the same spot as you. I hope we didn't get a virus or curse in Thailand.

Do you find nightsplints make it feel better? When my feet ache just stretching them out in the nightsplints is almost an instant relief, as though that was the position they really needed to be in.

alan k

Nancy S. on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018849)

I am classic, but sometimes I get lonely anyway.

Re: any atypical sufferers still out there?/ question

wyndyn on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018851)

Wendyn,
How did you get the TT diagnosis? I've seen a podiatrist and two orthopedic doctors. Don't really know which one really knows what is going on. All agree I have PF though, but have not gotten better after almost 2 years of effort.

Thanks

ChrisO on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018856)

Hi Alan -

Yes, I guess I am atypical but I didn't know that. My PF started with the classic heel pain, mornings etc. But that eventually became minimal, even in the AM, and the more demanding soreness is in the arch itself as a day wears on. I'm still wondering about fellow sufferers who have high, rigid arches.

john h on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018864)

alan if you are lonely then i presume you must be married. i never met a lonely bachleor in my life.

mss on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018880)

This sounds like the problem I have been dealing with. Inside of foot at the back of the arch, front of the heel. Most times it was very much at this one place, although I developed pain at the ball of my foot, across and down the arch, and then sharp pains down the sides of my foot. I have been in a boot for six weeks which has eliminated all 'complimentary' pain, and almost all at the one spot. I would have used a different word than that for the other pains. I will wear the boot for a couple more weeks while waiting for new orthotics. I think this is going to work, because I can now walk for a while with not of a problem. I did overdue it the other day and spent two days recovering to the point I was before.
'

Bob G. on 4/18/00 at 00:00 (018894)

Me and my feet have never been lonely. Except when I was married. (I am not against marraige).

alan k on 4/18/00 at 00:00 (018896)

I still haven't tried a boot. Is that a cam-walker or what?
Did you get morning pain?

alan

alan k on 4/18/00 at 00:00 (018899)

Yuk yuk. You have distinct sense of humor john h.

Actually I am not lonely in that sense, only feel like my feet are different than others, but actually yours and mine are similar and their are others. Just having a set-back. Only my second one in almost a year-- not bad. But it is a progressive set-back and seems to get a little worse everyday despite resting. I'll have to ride this one out. I am not discouraged, though, because I know how to make myself better.

I shouldn't have slacked off my regimen, not to mention walk for three hours straight.

alan k

dfeet on 4/18/00 at 00:00 (018922)

Alan, I really never had the classic morning pain associated with PF. I did have an acute episode of heel pain prior to developing the TTS symptoms, but that was when I ruptured the fascia. The TTS signs and symptoms developed coincidently/not so coincidently while wearing the rigid orthotics. Atypical? I'm not sure. But the heel pain as late has subsided and been substituted with the terrible soreness, gnawing , acheyness predominantly crescendo-ing at night. It is a vague pain that is not easily pinpointed to particular spots on my feet or ankles. Although, I still can elicit a positve Tinel's sign on both feet, and the pain is most prevalent when I've put in a long day on my feet. Also, the pain is also very connected to positioning of my feet,ie, especially when inverting or plantar-flexion. Do you have any of these things going on with you? I know you mentioned cramping before. Are you still experiencing cramping? Great open question about atypical pain-I've learned alot. Thank you for such insightful discussions-dfeet

mss on 4/18/00 at 00:00 (018928)

It is a different name, but it is a removeable soft cast, as some here have called it. It immobilizes the foot and ankle and allows rest of the hurting area. I never had real bad morning pain, sometimes the first few minutes of the day would be the best, then it would just get worse the more I walked.